Contribute
Register

If I change Motherboard do I have to reinstall everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UD5H
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
GTX 660 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi,

I've a big problem with my computer.
We’ve made more then a year ago two identical computers with the following configuration:

GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel Core i7-3770
GeForce GTX 660 Ti
16GB Corsair 1600Mhz DDR3
Corsair 650watt
Corsair Carbide 500R
500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 SATA

Suddenly one of them is not working anymore. After many freeze and crash, now it crash just after the OS boot.
It looks like the BIOS is broken, in fact is not possible to configure and save it, because the configuration are not saved, and after reboot I get the message “the system has experienced a boot failure” :(

My first question is:

- Can I change the motherboard with the same motherboard without reinstalling?

My second question:

- Can I change the motherboard and the CPU with new models without reinstalling everything?
- I would like to change the motherboard with a: Gigabyte Mod 1150 GBT Z97X-UD5H (ATX/Z97).
- I would like to change the CPU too with a: INTEL Core i7-4790K - 4 GHz - socket 1150 - Processore (BX80646I74790​K).
- Can I keep the GeForce GTX 660 Ti or do I have to buy the EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX?

Thanks for the support.

My first question is:

- Can I change the motherboard with the same motherboard without reinstalling?
Yes

My second question:

- Can I change the motherboard and the CPU with new models without reinstalling everything?
- I would like to change the motherboard with a: Gigabyte Mod 1150 GBT Z97X-UD5H (ATX/Z97).
- I would like to change the CPU too with a: INTEL Core i7-4790K - 4 GHz - socket 1150 - Processore (BX80646I74790​K).
Yes. To prevent kext conflicts with what you installed for the old board, download the latest combo update (I think it is 10.9.5 right now) and install it. Then remove any HDAEnabler kexts in S/L/E if you installed them. Then you can install the drive with the new board and CPU.

- Can I keep the GeForce GTX 660 Ti or do I have to buy the EVGA GeForce GTX 760 Superclocked ACX?
You can keep the 660 Ti

This is a great news ;)

Yes. To prevent kext conflicts with what you installed for the old board, download the latest combo update (I think it is 10.9.5 right now) and install it. Then remove any HDAEnabler kexts in S/L/E if you installed them. Then you can install the drive with the new board and CPU.

At the moment I've a 10.8.5 on it.
So you are sayng that if I change motherboard and CPU I can just boot and have everything working fine and I just have to update the OS and change something with multibeast?

You can keep the 660 Ti

Other Great news!

At the moment I've a 10.8.5 on it.
So you are sayng that if I change motherboard and CPU I can just boot and have everything working fine and I just have to update the OS and change something with multibeast?

Depends on the board and CPU. You will probably have to upgrade to Mavericks if you go with the series 9 boards and "Devil's Canyon" CPU.
10.8.5 has some limited support for Haswell 8 series boards/CPUs. Might run into a problem with the Haswell "Refresh" CPUs with 10.8.5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back