Contribute
Register

I have a couple of questions regarding QE/CI and my new system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
Intel Core i5-4690K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently decided to purchase the following setup for an all-in-one system:

• Intel Core i5-4690K
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC
  • 8.0 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
  • 1.0 TB HDD @ 7200 RPM (Yosemite Installation Drive)
  • 160 GB HDD @ 5400 RPM (Time Machine Drive)
  • 120 GB HDD @ 5400 RPM (Unused at the moment)
  • Ralink RT3090 PCI-e Wireless Card (needs replacement)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 Motherboard

I have successfully installed OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 and I am in the process of getting the Chameleon bootloader to work properly. (I'll find a way)

My current issue is with my graphics card and QE/CI. I am having trouble finding the QE/CI status of the graphics card and I have two questions:

1. Does my graphics card support QE/CI?
  2. If my card supports QE/CI, then how do I enable transparency effects in Yosemite?

Here's some photos for reference:

SAM_0001.JPG

SAM_0002.JPG

SAM_0003.JPG

SAM_0004.JPG

SAM_0005.JPG

I've tried using the Terminal application to enable menu transparency, I've scanned through other people's posts; however, their problems are related to boot flags and I've been using the following boot flags: nvda_drv=1 nv_disable=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" -v

I'm almost certain that I'm making a rookie mistake somewhere regarding hardware or a missing/incorrect boot flag(s), I just don't know what I've messed up.

I recently decided to purchase the following setup for an all-in-one system:

• Intel Core i5-4690K
  • EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti SC
  • 8.0 GB DDR3 @ 1600 MHz
  • 1.0 TB HDD @ 7200 RPM (Yosemite Installation Drive)
  • 160 GB HDD @ 5400 RPM (Time Machine Drive)
  • 120 GB HDD @ 5400 RPM (Unused at the moment)
  • Ralink RT3090 PCI-e Wireless Card (needs replacement)
  • Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3 Motherboard

I have successfully installed OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 and I am in the process of getting the Chameleon bootloader to work properly. (I'll find a way)

My current issue is with my graphics card and QE/CI. I am having trouble finding the QE/CI status of the graphics card and I have two questions:

1. Does my graphics card support QE/CI?
  2. If my card supports QE/CI, then how do I enable transparency effects in Yosemite?

I've tried using the Terminal application to enable menu transparency, I've scanned through other people's posts; however, their problems are related to boot flags and I've been using the following boot flags: nvda_drv=1 nv_disable=0 GraphicsEnabler=Yes "Graphics Mode"="1280x800x32" -v

I'm almost certain that I'm making a rookie mistake somewhere regarding hardware or a missing/incorrect boot flag(s), I just don't know what I've messed up.
If you start a chess game and the pieces move or drop a widget on the dashboard and get a ripple effect, QE/CI is enabled.

Transparency is on as high as it goes in Yosemite by default. All you can do is turn it off. I don't see a lot of difference.

As for boot-args, nv_disable=0 is worthless, GraphicsEnabler=1 uses Chameleon graphics injection which will fight the nVidia drivers - worthless if you are using Clover boot loader. Try with just these:
-v nvda_drv-1

EDIT: for a wifi adapter use http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0QAU36/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Same card as in an iMac get you both wifi and BT

If you start a chess game and the pieces move or drop a widget on the dashboard and get a ripple effect, QE/CI is enabled.

The chess game worked but with a high latency.

Transparency is on as high as it goes in Yosemite by default. All you can do is turn it off. I don't see a lot of difference.

I was hoping to get the transparency function working so that I could conclude my goal of making a hackintosh build that has full QE/CI support.

As for boot-args, nv_disable=0 is worthless, GraphicsEnabler=1 uses Chameleon graphics injection which will fight the nVidia drivers - worthless if you are using Clover boot loader. Try with just these:
-v nvda_drv-1

According to the large number of kernel panics and 'system time in nanoseconds' errors through verbose mode; the nv_disable=0 and the GraphicsEnabler=1 boot flags were keeping the boot loader from having a kernel panic. (I'm not using a native-supported graphics card)

EDIT: for a wifi adapter use http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P0QAU36/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
Same card as in an iMac get you both wifi and BT

It turns out that the motherboard I am using (Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3) is compatible with a limited selecting of PCI-e wireless cards. I've recently made a purchase through Amazon (well about as recent as ~14 hours) which is documented as being supported by my motherboard.

Thank you for your support, but I still have some ways to go before I'll attempt a reinstallation of OS X on my machine. (I currently have it reverted back to Windows so that I can continue using Adobe Premiere)

My biggest purpose with getting the QE/CI working 100% was the importance of multimedia support with Final Cut Pro and the Adobe CS6 Master Collection which a friend of mine sold to me at a friendly discounted price of ~$200 after his stolen macbook was returned with ESD damage from spilled liquids and a botched attempt of desoldering board components. (I don't know which components)

I'll keep trying, and I'll definitely post a successful build in these forums under the appropriate thread.

This is the closest I've been to succeeding my goal since I was capable of getting Mavericks to boot on an AMD A10-6700. (That's when I found out the importance of QE/CI)

The chess game worked but with a high latency.
I was hoping to get the transparency function working so that I could conclude my goal of making a hackintosh build that has full QE/CI support.
750Ti requires nVidia Alternate web driver for the version of OS X you are running to get full functionality. Along with the driver you need boot-arg nvda_drv=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back