Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta): Ivy bridge support

One more thing: the old screen brightness fix, I think it's already obsolete, what do you think about it?

At this point, it is an alternative to blinkscreen for those that don't like the blink...

- - - Updated - - -

This should do the job:

postinstall:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
RightNowIs=`/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Print :CurrentDateTime" /tmp/PBI.plist`
BackupDir="$HOME/Desktop/Installer Backups/Backup $RightNowIs"
kextdir="$DSTVOLUME/System/Library/Extensions"
# removing AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in favor of RealtekRTL8111.kext
if [ -e "$kextdir/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext" ]
then
    cp -Rf "$kextdir/IONetworkingFamily.kext" "$BackupDir"
    rm -Rf "$kextdir/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext"
fi
# disabling Software Update schedule.
softwareupdate --schedule off
# triggering kext cache rebuilding
/usr/libexec/PlistBuddy -c "Set :KextCacheRebuild yes" /tmp/PBI.plist

Fixed!

Awesome. Beta13 coming?

I did also run into the issue where the keyboard/trackpad randomly stops working (resulting in dead keyboard or repeating key). I'm pretty sure this is because I didn't rebuild cache after running PBI before I rebooted. But I would like to know why it does that sometimes (I'm going to look for an uninitialized variable in the voodoops2 kexts).

You know, about that, I was thinking to change the kext cache rebuilding routine to use kextcache instead of touch, but then I found this:

Caution: Incorrect use of kextcache can render a volume incapable of startup. Installers and administrators should not use this program to update system kext caches. Instead they should run touch(1) on the /System/Library/Extensions/ directory of the installation target volume after they have finished, which invalidates the existing caches and causes the system to update all necessary kext caches. kextcache -update-volume can be used to wait for this process to complete. See ``Apple Developer Technical Q&A QA1319: Installing an I/O Kit Kext Without Rebooting'' for information on updating kext caches on prior releases of Mac OS X.

This is from the kextcache's man page. The only difference between using the kextcache or touch is when kextcache is used, the command quits after finishing the cache rebuilding process, but when touch is used, the command quits immediately and the cache rebuilding process continues to work in background. Maybe the user should wait a little right after the Installer has finished, because it takes between 10 and 30 seconds for the kext cache to be rebuilt (with Kext Wizard, repair permissions box unchecked, my observation).

or

I can add another line in the last postinstall script, which will cause the script to sleep for, let's say, 20 seconds and after that the final Installer screen will appear.

Maybe the user should wait a little right after the Installer has finished, because it takes between 10 and 30 seconds for the kext cache to be rebuilt (with Kext Wizard, repair permissions box unchecked, my observation).

or

I can add another line in the last postinstall script, which will cause the script to sleep for, let's say, 20 seconds and after that the final Installer screen will appear.

Or you can put the 'kextcache -update-volume /' command in the script just after the touch (assuming it isn't executing multiple times... eg. do this only the 'final' post-install).

But I really am not sure this is it. There just seems to be something quirky about the first boot after a system kext change that messes with the ps2 driver. I will be doing an old-fashioned code review on it when I get a chance.

I installed beta 13 on my hp probook 4430 and my sound stopped working. re installed beta 12 and everything was back to normal. quite weird haven't ever had problems with sound since i started with my hackintosh with beta 6

Or you can put the 'kextcache -update-volume /' command in the script just after the touch (assuming it isn't executing multiple times... eg. do this only the 'final' post-install).

I tried to execute this command and it seems it doesn't work (at least it seems so), no activity at all, I tried to "touch" the /S/L/E folder and it worked (there was an activity and the CPU temp raised). I tried several different options combinations, with no luck. Are you sure this is the right set of options for kextcache? Also examined the MultiBeast package, they also use touch for all kext-related packages.

I tried to execute this command and it seems it doesn't work (at least it seems so), no activity at all, I tried to "touch" the /S/L/E folder and it worked (there was an activity and the CPU temp raised). I tried several different options combinations, with no luck. Are you sure this is the right set of options for kextcache? Also examined the MultiBeast package, they also use touch for all kext-related packages.

You have to do both:

Code:
# in Terminal
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

Code:
# for installer script
touch /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -update-volume $DSTVOLUME

The touch /S/L/E marks the /S/L/E directory with the current time. Since the current time is newer than the time the caches were last built, the system eventually rebuilds the caches to match /S/L/E. The kextcache -update-volume just causes it to do it right away, and wait until it is done.

I installed beta 13 on my hp probook 4430 and my sound stopped working. re installed beta 12 and everything was back to normal. quite weird haven't ever had problems with sound since i started with my hackintosh with beta 6

Nothing has changed in b13 with audio. Try it again... see if you can reproduce the problem. Also be sure to repair permissions & rebuild cache, since you may have some other issue. Especially if this is an install that started with beta6 as there were some really weird things going on in beta7 that were corrected.

You have to do both:

Code:
# in Terminal
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
sudo kextcache -update-volume /

Code:
# for installer script
touch /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -update-volume $DSTVOLUME

The touch /S/L/E marks the /S/L/E directory with the current time. Since the current time is newer than the time the caches were last built, the system eventually rebuilds the caches to match /S/L/E. The kextcache -update-volume just causes it to do it right away, and wait until it is done.

Actually that was the problem: when I executed kextcache -update-volume /, it finished immediately and I noticed no computer activity at all. I don't believe it's rebuilding the cache so fast.

BTW the $DSTVOLUME variable is deprecated since OS X 10.7's Installer framework.

Back