Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta): Ivy bridge support

I've updated to 10.8.4 and used the installer and i'd like to point out my experiences.

Since the update bluetooth no longer works on boot. (Yes I have a DSDT made with macasl using Rehab's repo).

When it is not working, what do you see in System Information -> Hardware -> Bluetooth?
Did you give it ample time to start?
Check system.log in Console (filter for 'ioath') to see if firmware is loading (if this is cold boot).

I tried hwmontior and it told me there's a newer version. (Just an FYI so you can add it to the next version)

Yes, it is almost constantly being updated. Probably best to turn off the notification in HwMonitor Prefs.

I realised after using the installer my laptop has reverted back to fn combo. I hate that and i'm sure im probably not the only one.
Can you please re-add that option to the installer for those of us who don't want the fn combo as default. Or at least tell us how to change it.

SysPrefs -> Keyboard -> Keyboard -> "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" (uncheck/check).

i can't download HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta 12), it returns only 10mb file from download link, which gives error on unzip. Please help me ,

i can't download HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta 12), it returns only 10mb file from download link, which gives error on unzip. Please help me ,

I've just download it successfully from my work place. Check you internet connection/browser.

thank you soo much for your reply. Yes you are right, something was wrong with my office Internet. i tried it from home, its working perfectly.

When it is not working, what do you see in System Information -> Hardware -> Bluetooth?
Did you give it ample time to start?
Check system.log in Console (filter for 'ioath') to see if firmware is loading (if this is cold boot).

Yes, it is almost constantly being updated. Probably best to turn off the notification in HwMonitor Prefs.

SysPrefs -> Keyboard -> Keyboard -> "Use all F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys" (uncheck/check).

The boot when I wrote that post and this one were both cold boots however I went into bios to double check bluetooth was enabled which it was and it appears to be working on this boot so no idea what the fault was

Since VoodooPS2Controller 1.7.9 you can use the option System Preferences -> Keyboard -> Use All F1, F2, etc. keys as standard function keys. to change the behavior of these keys. You can even change it on-the-fly with Ctrl+PrtSc since version 1.8.1. ProBook Installer 6.1b12 contains VoodooPS2Controller.kext 1.8.4

AHHHHH Thank F... for that!!!! lol
Thanks pete :)

Probook installer and 4X40S and 10.8.4

double checking with everyone here, this weekend plan to do a fresh clean install on 4x40s. Anyone else recently done this with 10.8.4 or 10.6.x SL?
Any problems/issues/tips? thanks.

thanks.

As I said, the current 4x40s support is very limited, but in order to make the system fully operational, you should select at least your version (which is currently limited to 10.8.2 only or OS X Support kexts/4x40s/Mountain Lion/10.8.2), one DSDT, depending of the CPU you have (is it Sandy or Ivy and is your display is stock or 1080p) and one system definition (MacBookPro8,x if your CPU is Sandy or MacBookPro9,x/10,x if it's Ivy). The only thing, which doesn't work like it should so far is the native Ivy Bridge Speedstep (for both desktop and mobile Ivy CPUs), it's currently work in progress, so probably you will not have such. All other options can be used with both the 4x30s and the 4x40s model with some exceptions:
1. I don't think you'll need the AHCI patch, theoretically it should be harmless for the 4x40s platform as it only creates a loading delay for IOAHCIFamily.kext, but it's related to a bug, which can be seen only on the 4x30s ProBooks.
2. Same for the Graphics glitch fix, another 4x30s-related fix.
3. According to this, the EDID generator should work on a 4x40s model with Sandy Bridge CPU (HD3000), but I'm not sure how will work on a model with Ivy Bridge CPU (HD4000).

Probook installer and 4X40S and 10.8.4

double checking with everyone here, this weekend plan to do a fresh clean install on 4x40s. Anyone else recently done this with 10.8.4 or 10.6.x SL?
Any problems/issues/tips? thanks.

thanks.

SL doesn't support Ivy so hopefully your 4x40s does not have an Ivy CPU. Even if you did have a 4x40s with Sandy CPU, the ProBook Installer doesn't have the required patched kexts for 4x40s (AppleHDA would be your primary concern) Lion/SL, only ML 10.8.2+.

10.8.4 should work.

SL doesn't support Ivy so hopefully your 4x40s does not have an Ivy CPU. Even if you did have a 4x40s with Sandy CPU, the ProBook Installer doesn't have the required patched kexts for 4x40s (AppleHDA would be your primary concern) Lion/SL, only ML 10.8.2+.

10.8.4 should work.

thanks for the response. it looks like an ivy cpu, so SL will be crossed off the to do list.

it will be a test lab trial, once ml works, (this will be a multi boot system, following your blog guide)

the other to do is a full image backup and restore, and trial incremental backup and restore, any tips pointers on this especially regarding gpt disks appreciated. clonezilla is slated for the full disk image backup, then time machine (increment backups - daily) for the mac os x stuff.

thanks !

Just did a fresh install using beta12.

- 10.8.4 from Mac App Store. Re-created Unibeast USB using latest 1.7.0 Unibeast.
- Installed, then ran ProBook Installer v6.1b12

Result: No issues. As expected, everything works well.

One note: I believe the patch (removal of OSBundleRequired=Network-Root) to IO80211Family/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist is unnecessary.

I did also run into the issue where the keyboard/trackpad randomly stops working (resulting in dead keyboard or repeating key). I'm pretty sure this is because I didn't rebuild cache after running PBI before I rebooted. But I would like to know why it does that sometimes (I'm going to look for an uninitialized variable in the voodoops2 kexts).

One note: I believe the patch (removal of OSBundleRequired=Network-Root) to IO80211Family/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist is unnecessary.

I remember this patch was used to fix an issue with AirPortAtheros40.kext in Lion and I left it in all ML options as well, just in case. You say it can be removed from all ML options?

Back