Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta): Ivy bridge support

The "one-click-trick" requires the DSDT generator to be fully automated and currently it's not. But if you mean something like the EasyBeast option inside the MultiBeast, such thing can be done, we only need to know which options should be selected by default, when this option is selected.

The "one-click-trick" requires the DSDT generator to be fully automated and currently it's not. But if you mean something like the EasyBeast option inside the MultiBeast, such thing can be done, we only need to know which options should be selected by default, when this option is selected.

And I'm not a big fan of EasyBeast. I realize it has its purpose, but it does not give you an optimized setup... I think it is better for people to learn up front what they need to select for their hardware (it just isn't that hard) rather than some "easy" setting that has them asking questions later.

And I'm not a big fan of EasyBeast. I realize it has its purpose, but it does not give you an optimized setup... I think it is better for people to learn up front what they need to select for their hardware (it just isn't that hard) rather than some "easy" setting that has them asking questions later.

The purpose of EasyBeast is to be used as a starter, nothing more, nothing less. I personally also prefer to set the options manually and I think it's not so difficult for anyone to set the options manually, especially when you have written a guide how this can be done. Our kind of "EasyBeast" could be something like the DSDT generator package, but when you have selected all your DSDT options, the hidden package will install everything else along with the patched DSDT (the version-specific files, the common kext package and the SSDT, the only problem will be which system definition should be used as default)

The purpose of EasyBeast is to be used as a starter, nothing more, nothing less. I personally also prefer to set the options manually and I think it's not so difficult for anyone to set the options manually, especially when you have written a guide how this can be done. Our kind of "EasyBeast" could be something like the DSDT generator package, but when you have selected all your DSDT options, the hidden package will install everything else along with the patched DSDT (the version-specific files, the common kext package and the SSDT, the only problem will be which system definition should be used as default)

philip_petev and RehabMan, IMHO, the probook installer organization should be like this:

1). PROBOOK MODEL AND OS X VERSION:
4x30 SL
4x30 L
4x30 ML
4x40 ML
Once choosed model and os x version, the installer will automatically select (and after install) all the kexts, patches properly needed (inclusive the SSDT generator and "maybe" chimera bootloader and EDID generator too).

2). SYSTEM DEFINITIONS:
It should be displayed like this (because a lot of people doesn't know which one have to choose):
13" macbookpro8,1 - probook 4330/4430 Sandy Bridge CPU
15" macbookpro8,2 - probook 4530 Sandy Bridge CPU
17" macbookpro8,3 - probook 4730 Sandy Bridge CPU
13" macbookpro9,2 - probook 4340/4440 Ivy Bridge CPU
15" macbookpro9,1 - probook 4540 Ivy Bridge CPU
15" (Retina) macbookpro10,1 - probook 4740 Ivy Bridge CPU
NOTE: 4x40 users have to carefully choose, due to the fact that some 4x40 models have Sandy CPU and others Ivy.

3). DSDT GENERATOR/PATCHER:
ProBook model: It will be automatically selected by the installer based on the first PROBOOK MODEL AND OS X VERSION choice, so it can not be showed (nice idea, no?).
Display type: stock screen or 1080p screen
Optional Patches: Fan behavior should be added in the optional patches because is an optional election (for example, if you don't choose any of the 3 options (original, quite or readings only), the fan will act like HP stock (so, no problem at all).

All the other stuff can be inserted in an optional and/or extra section(s).

What do you think?

Thanks!

philip_petev and RehabMan, IMHO, the probook installer organization should be like this:

macbookpro9,3 - probook 4740
Doesn't exist.

Doesn't exist.

Sorry, my mistake. But you got the point, right?
What do you think about it? Is more simple and clear?

Thanks!

RehabMan, what do you think about my post #234?

Thanks!

RehabMan, what do you think about my post #234?

Thanks!

I'm going to let philip_petev analyse based on what is possible given the capabilities of Installer.app. And if you were to merge "OS X support kexts" and DSDT patching wrt the ProBook "model" you would need two different 4x40s selections (one for Ivy, one for Sandy) unless you pull some logic out of the SSDT generator to automatically detect which CPU is installed (Ivy/Sandy).

We'll see what philip can come up with, and whether it really results in any simplification...

Hi guys,

I just wanted to chime in as a total noob. I have a 100% working pro book and it took be about a weekend to figure out how to get everything working (install, patch dsdt, etc).

Once I found this version of the installer (auto dsdt) I realized it makes most of the other steps obsolete (patching own dsdt, keyboard kext, fan control) since they are included in this installer (v6.1)

I guess what I am saying is that it is already pretty dummy proof. It really is just a matter of following Rehabmans guide. That said, the only suggestion I have is to make this topic a sticky under the Probook v6 installer and link this to Rehabman's guide.

I was actually really, really surprised at how easy it was to get osx on my machine with next to no bugs. So big thanks to you guys for the hard work.

1). PROBOOK MODEL AND OS X VERSION:
4x30 SL
4x30 L
4x30 ML
4x40 ML
Once choosed model and os x version, the installer will automatically select (and after install) all the kexts, patches properly needed (inclusive the SSDT generator and "maybe" chimera bootloader and EDID generator too).

2). SYSTEM DEFINITIONS:
macbookpro8,1 - probook 4330
macbookpro8,2 - probook 4530
macbookpro8,3 - probook 4730
macbookpro9,1 - probook 4340
macbookpro9,2 - probook 4540
macbookpro10,1 - probook 4740
It should be displayed like this (because a lot of people doesn't know which one have to choose).

3). DSDT GENERATOR/PATCHER:
ProBook model: It will be automatically selected by the installer based on the first PROBOOK MODEL AND OS X VERSION choice, so it can not be showed (nice idea, no?).
Display type: stock screen or 1080p screen
Optional Patches: Fan behavior should be added in the optional patches because is an optional election (for example, if you don't choose any of the 3 options (original, quite or readings only), the fan will act like HP stock (so, no problem at all).

All the other stuff can be inserted in an optional and/or extra section(s).

What do you think?

Thanks!

Looks very good to me. Easy for the beginner. An additional way to display the auto-selected items and manually change the selection could then provide an expert (for want of a better word, maybe explorer?) mode.

Back