Contribute
Register

HP ProBook Installer 6.1: 4x30s and 4x40s support

HP ProBook Installer 6.1 (beta): Ivy bridge support

There is one reason I can think of to keep them separate... and that is the case you have just upgraded your CPU and now wish to update only the SSDT without complicating matters in generating a new DSDT, and all the process involved with that including removing /Extra/dsdt.aml, installing Mini SSDTs, etc.

Hm, good point, but if this common package generates the SSDT, no matter if a patched DSDT is detected or not, then what? It will detect a patched DSDT and will copy the further instructions on the desktop, but also will backup the current SSDT and generate a new one. And then it's up to the user will he follow the instructions or will he delete them.

Hm, good point, but if this common package generates the SSDT, no matter if a patched DSDT is detected or not, then what? It will detect a patched DSDT and will copy the further instructions on the desktop, but also will backup the current DSDT and generate a new one. And then it's up to the user will he follow the instructions or will he delete them.

Except it is kind of weird to have to select all the DSDT options just to kick off an SSDT creation.

As far as CPU upgrade requiring a DSDT re-extract/re-patch, I've never tested DSDT before and after CPU upgrade, so I'm not sure whether it is really required. Maybe someone who actually does a CPU upgrade can confirm/deny eventually...

Also, making these two separate things merged will complicate testing of SSDT/DSDT scripts independently...

Finally, SSDT generator could be (and probably will be) used by others without ProBooks. Quite frankly, I think that bit of functionality should be in Multibeast.

Hm, good point, but if this common package generates the SSDT, no matter if a patched DSDT is detected or not, then what? It will detect a patched DSDT and will copy the further instructions on the desktop, but also will backup the current SSDT and generate a new one. And then it's up to the user will he follow the instructions or will he delete them.

philip, I'm agree with you. And like I said before, after a CPU upgrade, it's "recommended" to re-patch the DSDT and, obviously, re-generate the SSDT.
So, "maybe" they can be merged without any particular problem.
Less available options in the installer it means less errors/problems possibilities.

Thanks!

Except it is kind of weird to have to select all the DSDT options just to kick off an SSDT creation.

As far as CPU upgrade requiring a DSDT re-extract/re-patch, I've never tested DSDT before and after CPU upgrade, so I'm not sure whether it is really required. Maybe someone who actually does a CPU upgrade can confirm/deny eventually...

Also, making these two separate things merged will complicate testing of SSDT/DSDT scripts independently...

Finally, SSDT generator could be (and probably will be) used by others without ProBooks. Quite frankly, I think that bit of functionality should be in Multibeast.

You're right about selecting all the DSDT options, but what if /tmp/PBI.plist is used by the postinstall script to determine which one of these two should be generated (or both at the same time)? I know, it will require a major rewrite of this script.

Would it be possible to include some kind of sniffer and installer that would deal with the boot0 issue?

i know now to do the dd boot1h immediately after a format but for those entirely new to Hackintoshing it is a real barrier most particularly because of the vulgar throw out if it is not done (or missapplied).

My expectation is that this cannot be part of the PBI per se, but could be part of Unibeast if you could persuade the owner to include the check and the appropriate boot header..

Would it be possible to include some kind of sniffer and installer that would deal with the boot0 issue?

i know now to do the dd boot1h immediately after a format but for those entirely new to Hackintoshing it is a real barrier most particularly because of the vulgar throw out if it is not done (or missapplied).

My expectation is that this cannot be part of the PBI per se, but could be part of Unibeast if you could persuade the owner to include the check and the appropriate boot header..

I don't think so... the problem is actually a bug in 'dd' (a built-in program in OS X/Unix) when the target is a 4k drive. It should be possible to write to the first two sectors (first 1k)... works on normal drives... but it 'dd' fails if it is a 4k drive and the volume is mounted. So, unless there is a workaround to the bug in 'dd' we are stuck with doing it manually, because it is something that has to be done with the boot drive unmounted.

The only way to 'fix' would be to hook into the OS X installer somehow and do it then... while you're installing and the target drive is still unmounted.

[ ... ]

Just chiming in... What about two modes for the user to pick: "Autopilot" (one-click-trick) and "Expert tinkerer" (all options for manual selection)?

Just chiming in... What about two modes for the user to pick: "Autopilot" (one-click-trick) and "Expert tinkerer" (all options for manual selection)?
I do not think "Expert tinkerer" is the target audience. I am not a great expert, but still much prefer doing stuff manually (makes you feel more in control of what is going on and you develop a better understanding of how things work) then with install packages. And with the great tool developed by the hackintosh community becoming an "Expert tinkerer" is getting easier and easier.

Can I make a suggestion for the "Expert tinkerer-ers"... could you put all the great stuff found in this package in a simple zip or dmg? I think would be great, no need to mess with Pacifist every time... Thx.

Can I make a suggestion for the "Expert tinkerer-ers"... could you put all the great stuff found in this package in a simple zip or dmg? I think would be great, no need to mess with Pacifist every time... Thx.

All the stuff inside the Installer can be found zipped here.

I do not think "Expert tinkerer" is the target audience. I am not a great expert, but still much prefer doing stuff manually (makes you feel more in control of what is going on and you develop a better understanding of how things work) then with install packages..

Good point. This option surely needs better naming. I just wanted to point out that both approaches could be made available.

And with the great tool developed by the hackintosh community becoming an "Expert tinkerer" is getting easier and easier..

Could not state it better. That's like learning by watching plus learning by doing.

Back