Contribute
Register

HP Probook 4740s not booting after updating to 10.9.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I try to repair disk now. I hope it won't delete my previous data in Mervericks partition.

You should run Disk Utility from the OS X installer (after you recreate it with Unibeast) and do a Repair Disk.

And here is the bad news. The disk needs repair, the but could not be repaired.

I first started "Verify disk permission". But it was hanged after some time, so I just stopped it. After I started "Verify Disk" and got error message.

IMG_20140612_080857.jpg

IMG_20140612_081709.jpg

IMG_20140612_081857.jpg

Can you suggest something (next step)?

And here is the bad news. The disk needs repair, the but could not be repaired.

I first started "Verify disk permission". But it was hanged after some time, so I just stopped it. After I started "Verify Disk" and got error message.

View attachment 95775

View attachment 95776

View attachment 95777

Can you suggest something (next step)?

You're hooped. Re-install fresh. Hope you have a backup of your data... If not, find some data recovery software.

You're hooped. Re-install fresh. Hope you have a backup of your data... If not, find some data recovery software.

Oh! I can't believe updating OS could put me in such trouble. BTW, I had placed most of the data in separate partition, hopefully that would be preserved. I am trying copy some data by booting with Windows partition and using trial version of MacDrive. But it also says disk needs repair.

I just hate Apple, why did it needs 10.9.3 for Xcode 6 beta :banghead:

Thanks for your help

Oh! I can't believe updating OS could put me in such trouble. BTW, I had placed most of the data in separate partition, hopefully that would be preserved. I am trying copy some data by booting with Windows partition and using trial version of MacDrive. But it also says disk needs repair.

I just hate Apple, why did it needs 10.9.3 for Xcode 6 beta :banghead:

Thanks for your help

Be careful with software like MacDrive. It is tools like it that might have caused your problem in the first place. It is a bad idea to give any other system read/write access to HFS+J volumes.

Be careful with software like MacDrive. It is tools like it that might have caused your problem in the first place. It is a bad idea to give any other system read/write access to HFS+J volumes.

I have never used such software before. I just installed it temporarily, just to copy data in other drive when Mac partition had already corrupted.

First place was Combo update, which caused the problem.

I have never used such software before. I just installed it temporarily, just to copy data in other drive when Mac partition had already corrupted.

First place was Combo update, which caused the problem.

Problem may have existed prior to the update. It is always a good idea to do a Verify Disk before applying any update.

you could try to boot from a live dvd/stick into some flavour of linux to backup your data (2x, on different media!) before doing anything else to the disk

Problem may have existed prior to the update. It is always a good idea to do a Verify Disk before applying any update.
Have you ever heard of miracles, I have found one. I just went for fresh install, booted from Unibeast USB, but my MAC partition was not visible. I opened disk utility and found it was not mounted. I mounted it and then tried "Verify Disk". And this time it showed me green coloured message :). Verify Disk was successful. I installed Mavericks successfully and also updated to 10.9.3 without loss my data :D

But I was just wondering about 2 things.
Why it created problem in first attempt.
And why it was displaying OS X Lion, instead of Mavericks in USB, although it was Mavericks 10.9.1

The biggest hurdle I faced in the process was, my external mouse and trackpad was not working in Unibeast installer and mouse pointer always stick at top left corner. Trackpad worked once but never again. I tried different combination of flags and in almost more than 20 attempts I finally succeeded to make trackpad work.

IGPEnabler=Yes IGPlatformID=01660004 GraphicsEnabler=No USBBusFix=Yes -x -v
If I add PCIRootUID=0, the trackpad doesn't work.

It was amazing to see Xcode 6 beta and driving swift on my machine :D

I am noob in hackintosh and now enjoying it. This problem has taught me many things.
Thanks RehabMan for your efforts and help. :clap:

you could try to boot from a live dvd/stick into some flavour of linux to backup your data (2x, on different media!) before doing anything else to the disk

Thanks Don_Grappler, luckily I had made my machine dual boot with Windows 8. I booted from Windows and used trial version of MacDrive which help me accessing Mac partition in Windows. So I just copied my data in separate partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back