Contribute
Register

HP Probook 4540s Choice of WIFI Adapter "MAVERICKS COMPATIBLE ONLY"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, I've played with several Broadcom-based card the last two days and there are some things you should know about them:

BCM94322HB8L: these cards are supported out of the box (may require changing of SubV/SubP IDs to 106b:0093 in order to be shown as native AirPort, which is relatively easy) and are suitable for worldwide use (the WiFi region code can be changed pretty easy). The user can use any of these Broadcom region codes or directly any country code, according to ISO 3166 (the A2 column). I've tried codes X2, X3 and XA and with routers around me, broadcasting the US code, I've got the US regulatory setting with any of them, no matter that these are not FCC codes (this scenario). When I set the code to BG (the ISO 3166 code for Bulgaria), I was able to use channels 12 and 13 no matter what code was set in the routers around me.

BCM943224: I've tried two BCM943224HMS cards in Mavericks, one Dell Wireless 1520 and one HP-branded with SPS 582464-001. Both work fine inc. AirDrop, but the problem is that they are being recognized as Third Party Wireless Card by OS X and as such, they work only with the US regulatory settings, which makes them not so attractive purchase outside US (Europe, Asia etc.) I have no idea if this goes for the BCM943225HMB cards as well.

Guys, I've played with several Broadcom-based card the last two days and there are some things you should know about them:

BCM94322HB8L: these cards are supported out of the box (may require changing of SubV/SubP IDs to 106b:0093 in order to be shown as native AirPort, which is relatively easy) and are suitable for worldwide use (the WiFi region code can be changed pretty easy). The user can use any of these Broadcom region codes or directly any country code, according to ISO 3166 (the A2 column). I've tried codes X2, X3 and XA and with routers around me, broadcasting the US code, I've got the US regulatory setting with any of them, no matter that these are not FCC codes (this scenario). When I set the code to BG (the ISO 3166 code for Bulgaria), I was able to use channels 12 and 13 no matter what code was set in the routers around me.

BCM943224: I've tried two BCM943224HMS cards in Mavericks, one Dell Wireless 1520 and one HP-branded with SPS 582464-001. Both work fine inc. AirDrop, but the problem is that they are being recognized as Third Party Wireless Card by OS X and as such, they work only with the US regulatory settings, which makes them not so attractive purchase outside US (Europe, Asia etc.) I have no idea if this goes for the BCM943225HMB cards as well.

BCM94322HM8L had some stability issues in 10.8.5. It basically appears to be working fine, but every minute or so it would tear down existing WiFi connection and reconnect to other AP (when available) or the same AP, some how it even managed to knock off other devices from WiFi AP as well (forced them to migrate to other AP). It should be easy to verify in console log, there should be no WiFi related messages indicating any WiFi related events (specifically "roaming"). Try to watch long enough youtube video, it should not chock during playback, if it does look into console log for answers. I never used it with Mavericks as it was replaced with Atheros right away. It was not isolated case, bc all of my PB with this WiFi adapter were having issues.

I got one BCM943224HMS on HP 8460p and it works fine for me, Air drop too, Asia here.

I got one BCM943224HMS on HP 8460p and it works fine for me, Air drop too, Asia here.
Recognized as Third Party Wireless Card, right?

BCM94322HM8L had some stability issues in 10.8.5. It basically appears to be working fine, but every minute or so it would tear down existing WiFi connection and reconnect to other AP (when available) or the same AP, some how it even managed to knock off other devices from WiFi AP as well (forced them to migrate to other AP). It should be easy to verify in console log, there should be no WiFi related messages indicating any WiFi related events (specifically "roaming"). Try to watch long enough youtube video, it should not chock during playback, if it does look into console log for answers. I never used it with Mavericks as it was replaced with Atheros right away. It was not isolated case, bc all of my PB with this WiFi adapter were having issues.

I don't have Mountain Lion installed on my ProBook, but I haven't noticed such issue in Mavericks, works like it should (using it for already three weeks).

Hi,
I have bought DW1515 AR9280, Shouldnt it be displayed under: About this Mac > More info > System Report > Hardware > PCI Cards?

if so, then how come I don't see it?

Screen Shot 2013-11-21 at 17.32.04.png

Hi,
I have bought DW1515 AR9280, Shouldnt it be displayed under: About this Mac > More info > System Report > Hardware > PCI Cards?

No. Use DPCIManager to see if it is present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back