Contribute
Register

HP Probook 4540s Choice of WIFI Adapter "MAVERICKS COMPATIBLE ONLY"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have this card, it's expensive though:thumbdown:

May be because bluetooth..Its not so expensive since I already paid upto 100+$ for 9280 :banghead:. I ordered 9280 with free shipping but after 15 days found out that the address is blocked for some reason, now I had it shipped to my friend in the US and hes sending it to me through expedite service so yes me being a moron here :shh:

This is the whole point of this exercise. Laptop could be taken to any country/region. Laptops are slaves as well, because of laptop does not act as a server, it acts as a client, so you can have all frequencies enabled yet be absolutely compliant because of you connecting to compliant WiFi assess point channel, so your WiFi adapter will use correct frequencies. It is more of the issue for WiFi Access Points (provides service), than to WiFi clients (consumes service).

Dude, I have no intention to argue with you, just read my recommendation one more time, this time carefully, then search the net, there is a lot of information about the WiFi regulatory and its worldwide use and then we'll talk again. For all Atheros WiFi chipsets, 0x0 is a regdomain for debugging purposes.
No hard feelings.

Got the point. Thanks for the clarification. So you are suggesting to set 0x00?

However the said Access points issue can be hectic issue of weak WiFi signals specially if you are living in a building where every apartment broadcasting wifi signals (my case). Thats why I always prefer to use wired connection (specifically for online gaming where precision is a must). What would you suggest for Wifi users in this case? I'm asking because it seems I have to be dependent on Wifi at my work place

Select your home country instead and the RCU utility will set the correct region for you. Note that selecting an European reg domain will allow you to use channels 12 and 13 even in the USA, where these two are forbidden, no matter the fact that the chance to find a router, broadcasting on these two channels, in the USA is equal to zero.

Select your home country instead and the RCU utility will set the correct region for you. Note that selecting an European reg domain will allow you to use channels 12 and 13 even in the USA, where these two are forbidden, no matter the fact that the chance to find a router, broadcasting on these two channels, in the USA is equal to zero.

Cool, thanks man. Yeah I could set the Euro region and use the channel 12/13 for my home router to reduce the co-channel and overlapping but I believe it would only work my laptop and probably on iPhone, rest android users/other laptops would have been screaming out loud :D. Thanks for the info anyway.

Dude, I have no intention to argue with you, just read my recommendation one more time, this time carefully, then search the net, there is a lot of information about the WiFi regulatory and its worldwide use and then we'll talk again. For all Atheros WiFi chipsets, 0x0 is a regdomain for debugging purposes.
No hard feelings.

I have no hard feelings at all. I am not sure why using Preference panel to change your locale to specific location is infinitely impractical vs. re-flashing your WiFi EEPROM every time you travel with your laptop. 0x0 in a regdomain allows OS to change it according to your "locale" setting on the laptop. What is wrong with that? This is the way it is done on every Macintosh.

I have no hard feelings at all. I am not sure why using Preference panel to change your locale to specific location is infinitely impractical vs. re-flashing your WiFi EEPROM every time you travel with your laptop. 0x0 in a regdomain allows OS to change it according to your "locale" setting on the laptop. What is wrong with that? This is the way it is done on every Macintosh.

How can I set "locale" on laptop?

There is nothing wrong about it, but only in case all routers in the world are configured correctly with the settings for their regions. In my recommendation I've written what could be the problem: OS X gets the locale from the routers around you and if most of the are broadcasting a wrong locale (like using the US locale in Europe), you'll get the same wrong locale, no matter that some routers around you could be properly configured and if these few routers are set on channels 12 or 13... I think you've got the picture.
BTW, the 0x60 locale, set on the most cards, purchased from China, also allows to be changed by the OS, it's one of the WORLD regulatory domains, but since it has never been used by Apple, you'll get the Unknown locale message in the log. Besides this little issue, changing the locale from 0x60 to 0x0 would be pointless.

There is nothing wrong about it, but only in case all routers in the world are configured correctly with the settings for their regions. In my recommendation I've written what could be the problem: OS X gets the locale from the routers around you and if most of the are broadcasting a wrong locale (like using the US locale in Europe), you'll get the same wrong locale, no matter that some routers around you could be properly configured and if these few routers are set on channels 12 or 13... I think you've got the picture.
BTW, the 0x60 locale, set on the most cards, purchased from China, also allows to be changed by the OS, it's one of the WORLD regulatory domains, but since it has never been used by Apple, you'll get the Unknown locale message in the log. Besides this little issue, changing the locale from 0x60 to 0x0 would be pointless.

I was under impression the user sets locale in "Date & Time" preferences where you specifically select your region in the process of selecting your time zone/location. World does not revolve around WiFi adapters or routers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back