Contribute
Register

HP 4530s + i7 quad core , need to update AC adapter for BIOS post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must agree my research was minimal... but it was dark and I had a knife.

The i7 2630QM works fine in the 4530s I've upgraded mine from the i5 2450m although i recommend upgrading the Power adaptor to 90watt instead of the 60watt adaptor and the reason why i upgraded mine was the Power adaptor was getting really hot when on full load.

Hello , i would post to laptop threads but it's a hardware question so please excuse me.

Normally most of the 4530s 15'' laptop come with i3 CPU as you know , this is 35W and the main AC Charge adaptop is 65W for this unit.
Recently i purchase an i7 2630QM (45W) from an ebay 100% feedback seller (was not an ES if you ask so) and could not even post to bios.
Laptop would start with black screen and 5 times blinking the caps lock key, then the fan would spinning start but still black screen and no boot.
I did update to latest BIOS version (F60 or F61revA i am not sure at the moment) changed the ram dimms etc, i did even swapped an old motherboard with a small problem but able to post ... more or less i tried everything and was not possible to post in BIOS with the new CPU (once i put back the i3 everything ok)

I want to ask from somebody that already tried to upgrade the CPU to i7 (45W) does it matter about the AC Charger and this was the problem in my case as i should get a stronger charger? (90W ?)

Or it doesn't matter and the problem was a faulty CPU?

Should at least post to BIOS with the stock GENUINE HP adapter of 65W?

I had to return to the seller the CPU but i need to know cause i am thinking to buy another one i7, maybe even faster model, if i need a new adapter i will have to know.

Please somebody that have experience and replaced the i3 with and i7 share just 1' and reply.

Thank you!

Are you sure that the CPU is seated properly? Verified that your running the latest BIOS revision? You should be able to post with just the battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back