Contribute
Register

HP 4530s + i7 quad core , need to update AC adapter for BIOS post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
z77-ds3h
CPU
i5 - 3330
Graphics
intel hd2000
Mac
  1. iMac
Hello , i would post to laptop threads but it's a hardware question so please excuse me.

Normally most of the 4530s 15'' laptop come with i3 CPU as you know , this is 35W and the main AC Charge adaptop is 65W for this unit.
Recently i purchase an i7 2630QM (45W) from an ebay 100% feedback seller (was not an ES if you ask so) and could not even post to bios.
Laptop would start with black screen and 5 times blinking the caps lock key, then the fan would spinning start but still black screen and no boot.
I did update to latest BIOS version (F60 or F61revA i am not sure at the moment) changed the ram dimms etc, i did even swapped an old motherboard with a small problem but able to post ... more or less i tried everything and was not possible to post in BIOS with the new CPU (once i put back the i3 everything ok)

I want to ask from somebody that already tried to upgrade the CPU to i7 (45W) does it matter about the AC Charger and this was the problem in my case as i should get a stronger charger? (90W ?)

Or it doesn't matter and the problem was a faulty CPU?

Should at least post to BIOS with the stock GENUINE HP adapter of 65W?

I had to return to the seller the CPU but i need to know cause i am thinking to buy another one i7, maybe even faster model, if i need a new adapter i will have to know.

Please somebody that have experience and replaced the i3 with and i7 share just 1' and reply.

Thank you!

it is not 100% 4530S HP related i guess so please if someone else can share experience with replacing the i3 on a 15'' laptop with an i7 quad core (45W) and was able to start the laptop with the old adapter (65W) please advise.
Cause i found a good deal on ebay and i might bid again but i need to be sure what was the problem with the other i7 cpu.

maybe was a faulty CPU from the seller, strange thing that he had 100% feedback so i think they test their items ... i do not know what to think

Hello , i would post to laptop threads but it's a hardware question so please excuse me.

Normally most of the 4530s 15'' laptop come with i3 CPU as you know , this is 35W and the main AC Charge adaptop is 65W for this unit.
Recently i purchase an i7 2630QM (45W) from an ebay 100% feedback seller (was not an ES if you ask so) and could not even post to bios.
Laptop would start with black screen and 5 times blinking the caps lock key, then the fan would spinning start but still black screen and no boot.
I did update to latest BIOS version (F60 or F61revA i am not sure at the moment) changed the ram dimms etc, i did even swapped an old motherboard with a small problem but able to post ... more or less i tried everything and was not possible to post in BIOS with the new CPU (once i put back the i3 everything ok)

I want to ask from somebody that already tried to upgrade the CPU to i7 (45W) does it matter about the AC Charger and this was the problem in my case as i should get a stronger charger? (90W ?)

Or it doesn't matter and the problem was a faulty CPU?

Should at least post to BIOS with the stock GENUINE HP adapter of 65W?

I had to return to the seller the CPU but i need to know cause i am thinking to buy another one i7, maybe even faster model, if i need a new adapter i will have to know.

Please somebody that have experience and replaced the i3 with and i7 share just 1' and reply.

Thank you!

The adapter clearly would not matter as you should expect the laptop to boot without the AC adapter connected... running on battery only.

Chances are you have a bad chip or installed it incorrectly.

correct, this is what i thought!
i cannot say that i installed incorrectly cause there is only one way to fit it in the socket , it's simple and i'm pretty sure that i had double checked everything. (i even bought new thermal gel cause on 1st attempt was not enough)
I put back the old CPU (started OK) and then again i think i might tried 2 times more with the risk doing damage on my laptop.

Also as i mentioned i tried on another mobo (now sold on ebay) with a small problem on 1 USB socket and still no success with this i7 CPU.
Cannot be a coincidence ;)

Last question cause i think you also had 4530S and did the i7 upgrade, would i need a new adapter or the 65W (genuine) would be ok?

Thanks RehabMan ;)

correct, this is what i thought!
i cannot say that i installed incorrectly cause there is only one way to fit it in the socket , it's simple and i'm pretty sure that i had double checked everything. (i even bought new thermal gel cause on 1st attempt was not enough)
I put back the old CPU (started OK) and then again i think i might tried 2 times more with the risk doing damage on my laptop.

Also as i mentioned i tried on another mobo (now sold on ebay) with a small problem on 1 USB socket and still no success with this i7 CPU.
Cannot be a coincidence ;)

Last question cause i think you also had 4530S and did the i7 upgrade, would i need a new adapter or the 65W (genuine) would be ok?

Thanks RehabMan ;)

I did not upgrade my CPU in my 4530s. Didn't seem worth it for an old 6-series laptop (without proper USB3).

But others have had success with the same CPU.
Your CPU is probably defective.

I'd say your HP motherboard is not compatible with that CPU?

Integrated graphics?
Does the CPU support Intel HD graphics?

Or it's faulty?

The 4530s supports the i7-2630QM. It is listed as a valid CPU in the service manual (download from HP.com and read).

ovb1 i had tried on 2 different motherboards (coincidence that it might both be the same rev. though) so i do not know what to say.
Before i buy this CPU of course i have made a full research , it should be ok with the 4530S as everyone mention.
Now i am afraid with the risk of buying another one on eBay and i have the same problems, it's not only the money but is the risk of destroying something on the laptop ... everytime i need to open is a lot of stress.
70% that it was a faulty CPU and 30% that the motherboard not compatible with the CPU (but both mobos??)

I send back the CPU to the seller and i told him at least to honestly reply to me if it was faulty but i do not think that he'll care (strict german)

RehabMan i am trully sorry for going of topic (cannot send you message) but i want to ask you about the Lenovo U430 Touch, compare to 4530S is it ok for OSX based on your experience as i see on your sig that you own it and i trust your words ;)
I need a laptop 16GB ,i7 quad core work everything OOB cause i work and travel a lot.
And it's too much now trying to upgrade the 4530S , it's ok with 16GB that i swapped but i am not sure about the i7 on this unit.

RehabMan i am trully sorry for going of topic (cannot send you message) but i want to ask you about the Lenovo U430 Touch, compare to 4530S is it ok for OSX based on your experience as i see on your sig that you own it and i trust your words ;)
I need a laptop 16GB ,i7 quad core work everything OOB cause i work and travel a lot.
And it's too much now trying to upgrade the 4530S , it's ok with 16GB that i swapped but i am not sure about the i7 on this unit.

My u430 works great with 10.11.x. HD4400 is problematic on 10.12, which is why I haven't upgraded it.
Known problems/things not working are listed in my u430 guide.
My u430 is a dual-core i7, but this is i7 ULV, so performance is similar to my dual core i5 4540s Ivy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back