Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
HP ProBook 350 G1
CPU
i5 4200U
Graphics
HD 4400
Hello everyone,

It took me a while to achieve multiboot on my new HP 350 G1 laptop, but I finally got there.

I thought it best not to interfere with the Windows hdd settings, so I replaced the optical drive bay by a caddie. In the caddie I placed the original hdd, and in the original hdd compartment I placed my brand new ssd.

I then worked on the ssd: partitionned the drive (GPT), then installed clover UEFI Yosemite using the dedicated guide, and linux Mint UEFI.

I thought, as I had swapped the original hdd and the ssd, it would boot the ssd on clover. But it wouldn't.

The problem is that the 350 G1 is set to boot Windows 8.1 first: it will boot \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi first, as it is a hard-coded instruction pre-set in the laptop.

So the trick is to:

1- boot on USB clover (by pressing F9 at reboot) and select 'boot as EFI', then CLOVER directory, and 'cloverX64.efi' boot.
2- boot mac on the ssd with clover menu.
3- install and run clover configurator (you can find it in the hp probook installer, clover edition)
4- choose 'mount an efi partition' in the configurator
5- mount the original windows partition that contains the efi directory
6- navigate to the file \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi
7- rename the 'bootmgfw.efi' file to 'bootmgfw-orig.efi'
8- mount the ssd efi partition, find and copy the 'cloverX64.efi' file to the desktop
9- rename the ' cloverX64.efi' file on the desktop to 'bootmgfw.efi'
10- re-mount the original windows partition that contains the efi directory
11- navigate to the \EFI\Microsoft\Boot directory
12- copy and paste the newly created 'bootmgfw.efi' file

Now I thought that would do it: the computer would now boot to clover. But the clover screen was not the same than the one you got from the install USB. And of course, that clover version could only boot Windows. So what was going on?

Well, it seems the new 'bootmgfw.efi' file (that actually boots clover) cannot access the mac and linux .efi files on the other disk.

So, what did the trick was this:

13- re-mount the ssd efi partition with clover configurator
14- copy the directories:apple, clover, grub, etc to the desktop
15- re-mount the original hdd partition that contains window with clover configurator
16- paste the directories from step 14- above next to the 'bootmgfw.efi' file

Now clover can «see» the other oses, and the clover screen looks like the one on the clover install:
a U to boot linux, two Xs (one regular, one for recovery) and an 8 for windows.

And all this can be set to your liking by running the configurator again and editing the config.plist file!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back