Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] USB ports map for macOS with USBToolBox

@dasboot5
I don’t understand you. Which C’s to capitalize?
Currently I only see the comments in IOReg Explorer, inside every port properties. Of course, opening the Info.plist also.

The 'comment' line under each port in the UTBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist needs to be capitalised. As shown in the two screenshots below.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 18.43.17.png UTBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist - using "comment"

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 18.46.50.png Revised UTBMap.kext/Contents/info.plist - using "Comment"

The revised info.plist using "Comment' will allow the port comment/description to show in Hackintool.

Hello,

I'm currently on High Sierra which followed years ago from - from Malki's Guide

With a new GPU Sapphire 6600 im planning upgrading system to Ventura, following Dortania, Gabriel Luchina and tonymac's guides. Ive read already that the usb Mapping is going to be a problem..

Can i export the USB maps i currently have from hacking tool and then import it?

Screen Shot 2023-06-13 at 12.12.34.png

I Believe two ports are missing here... as i have ten in the back and 2 in front on the case

Thanks in advance

Can i export the USB maps i currently have from hacking tool and then import it?

Hi there.

Yes you can. As long as you keep the same system-defintion.

If you need to change that to upgrade to Ventura then you may have to generate a new one.

(Although USBToolBox has different output options ...)

:)

Hi there.

Yes you can. As long as you keep the same system-defintion.

If you need to change that to upgrade to Ventura then you may have to generate a new one.

(Although USBToolBox has different output options ...)

:)
Hmmm... I do need to change system-definition. I'm on iMac14,2 (HS) and I'll be making a iMac 1,1 for Ventura

Post a copy of your current USB kext so we can see if any changes are required.

Post a copy of your current USB kext so we can see if any changes are required.

As Edhawk said...
You realize you have a 5th gen board and under normal circumstances you would be limited to Monterey without restrictevents. Yes USB is not going to be a piece of cake to get right. I am surprised Luciana did not note this for his X99 base. Broadwell is essentially a refresh of Haswell (albeit a smaller die and an integrated graphics update)
Note: 0.9.4 has started to appear in Dortania builds.

Thank you for the thorough guide. Very helpful. I just built a new computer, and am trying to build my USB Map on Windows10, using USBToolBox version 0.2. When I select option D, to Discover Ports, the entire script holds up on "Getting Controllers..." for what appears to be an indefinite period of time.

I see that Version 0.2 notes "Update usbdump, fixing longstanding crash," so I assume I may need to run usbdump, to correct the issue.

Windows originally flags the download as virus and refuses to open. I honestly don't have anything of value on this Windows drive, I use it purely for testing, and my very small collection of Windows-only games are on a second drive not even connected to this computer. So I override it anyway, and attempt to proceed. Open 'debug-dump.exe' and nothing. :/ Blank execution window with only EXE path, at the top. "Discover Ports" still holds up on "Getting Controllers...".. Sigh...

I can't find any resources on this issue.

Thoughts? :/ I've never used Hackintool, but I'm considering trying it strictly for USB Mapping, as it seems to be recommended by a few communities. Hm.

@MissCatD
I have never needed usbdump to do the port mapping in Windows, I really don't know what the problem you have may be.
2 years ago, when I made my first port map, I did it precisely with Hackintool and it worked fine. The advantage of USBToolBox in Windows is the ease of doing it but, if it doesn't work for you, you can try Hackintool.
I can't find any recent instructions for doing this with Hackintool. Hackintool's help has some useful instructions, although they are a bit out of date.
You have another option: corpnewt's usbmap, with instructions made by the OpenCore developers.

Back