Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.8.2 > 0.8.3 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Notes for use of OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi:
  • OpenRuntime.efi specified after OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi in the Drivers list
  • OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi loaded using LoadEarly=true
  • OpenRuntime.efi also loaded using LoadEarly=true for correct operation of RequestBootVarRouting
  • LegacySchema populated
  • LegacyOverwrite enabled to be able to overwrite any existing variable
  • ExposeSensitiveData with at least bit 0x1 set
  • This driver requires working FAT write support in firmware, and sufficient free space on the OpenCore EFI partition for up to three saved NVRAM files
  • NVRAM values are loaded from NVRAM/nvram.plist
  • Reset NVRAM option installed by the ResetNvramEntry driver removes NVRAM/nvram.plist instead of affecting underlying NVRAM
  • CTRL+Enter in the OpenCore bootpicker updates or creates NVRAM/nvram.plist.
Hi, thanks for the write-up! I'm new to the forum and Hackintoshing in general. So excuse any silly misunderstandings of mine. Anyway, I recently successfully installed Monterey on my system and am not appearing to have any issues with typical things. However, the NVRAM test where you -c and grep and such fails for me. Seems to make sense due to X99 not having good or any NVRAM compatibility from what I've read. I was going to follow the Dortania page. However, I found your write-up about OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi and want to utilize this instead. If I'm not mistaken, I use the new .efi, specify it after OpenRuntime in config.plist, and change the other config.plist settings you mentioned? The only thing I'm a little confused about is "populating LegacySchema". The current Dortania page (which is not updated for 0.8.3, hence my reply here!) says
LegacySchema: NVRAM variables set(OpenCore compares these to the variables present in nvram.plist)
So since I generate NVRAM.plist with CTRL+Enter in bootpicker, what do I need to change in LegacySchema?

I guess I'm assuming you know all of these things. If you don't, I apologize for the lengthy reply. Perhaps I should just wait for the Dortania guide to be updated, but I want to make sure that not having my NVRAM emulated or fixed isn't going to be a negative for my experience.

@dplatt
Hello and welcome. I’m not at home. I’ll answer tomorrow.

@dplatt
Maybe LegacySchema populated isn't the better way of explain it.
When we have working native NVRAM, we can remove LegacySchema since it 's used only when we use emulated NVRAM.
But when we have emulated NVRAM, as you are trying, LegacyShema section must be there with all its keys. You don't have to change anything, only keep the whole LegacySchema section.

@miliuco
Oh got it got it. I appreciate the response! I will try everything out now. I do know that I can’t use the nvram terminal test to verify because of the plist being read only in macOS according to Dortania. Is there any way to verify that it is working correctly afterwards?

Problem upgrading to OC 8.3...
I am preparing my 'Return of Zee' system for an eventual upgrade to Ventura once released.
Decided to bump OC up to the latest version using OCAT.
Unfortunately, the RX6600 goes dark after initializing. And, I'm wondering where to look first for the fix.

Any pointers?

@HackinMax
RX 6600 needs little work to work, only agdpmod=pikera in boot-args and WhateverGreen in Kexts (it is not essential but highly recommended). Do you have it like this?

@HackinMax
RX 6600 needs little work to work, only agdpmod=pikera in boot-args and WhateverGreen in Kexts (it is not essential but highly recommended). Do you have it like this?
Hmm.. I just checked config. And, I see that I still have the RX6600 code that was needed to get the GPU working under 12.2. I never removed it once the problem was fixed. So, that's definitely the problem. Thanks.
When I have a bit of time, I will remove that code and return to the basic setup described.

EDIT: I removed the RX6600 and the related config.plist code. then put the original RX 5700XT back in. The RX6600 has always been problematic in this build. Unfortunately, the OC update didn't fare any better than the first time. Something else is going on. I will need to post a separate support request.

Last edited:
hello
NVRAM didn't work on my motherboard
I was hoping OC 083 will finally make it work .... but I still don't succeed
here is my config.plist
If you find something strange, tell me
Many thanks

Attachments

• X299 AsRock Creator OC083 MacOS11.6.5-12.5.plist
    34.3 KB · Views: 40
@oli.mathieu
Tell me: do you mean you don't have native NVRAM not even emulated NVRAM until now? There are any difference removing npci=0x2000 boot arg?

If your mobo is capable of native NVRAM but you can't make it to work or if your mobo can't have native NVRAM and needs emulated NVRAM:
  • get OpenCore 0.8.3
  • add OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi driver into Drivers folder and config.plist
  • OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi must be before OpenRuntime.efi driver
  • both OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi and OpenRuntimeDxe.efi must have LoadEarly=True
    (I see you have already done this in your config.plist)
  • copy Utilities/LogoutHook/Launch.command and Launchd.command.plist files to a folder anywhere in your disk (e.g. LogoutHook folder in your home folder)
  • open Terminal and cd to that folder
  • run ./Launchd.command install
  • ResetNVRAM at first reboot.
Do you get NVRAM working?

@oli.mathieu
Tell me: do you mean you don't have native NVRAM not even emulated NVRAM until now?
not even emulated !!
There are any difference removing npci=0x2000 boot arg?
I'll try and report
If your mobo is capable of native NVRAM but you can't make it to work or if your mobo can't have native NVRAM and needs emulated NVRAM:
  • get OpenCore 0.8.3
  • add OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi driver into Drivers folder and config.plist
  • OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi must be before OpenRuntime.efi driver
  • both OpenVariableRuntimeDxe.efi and OpenRuntimeDxe.efi must have LoadEarly=True
    (I see you have already done this in your config.plist)
  • copy Utilities/LogoutHook/Launch.command and Launchd.command.plist files to a folder anywhere in your disk (e.g. LogoutHook folder in your home folder)
  • open Terminal and cd to that folder
  • run ./Launchd.command install
  • ResetNVRAM at first reboot.
Do you get NVRAM working?
I'll try and report

many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back