Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.8.0 > 0.8.1 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you replace your "Resources" folder in /EFI/EFI/OC partition? It was revised a number of versions ago and OpenCanopy won't recognize the older 0.6.4 version you currently have. Copy the folder from the 0.8.1 update over the one in the path above. You'll have to add in new versions of any custom files you have added in them that aren't included in the replacement folder.
It is working now. The problem was, I copied the config into the binary, but some stupid reason never copied it back to EFI folder. then kept messing with the settings again with the unfixed one all this while. :) I ran ocval and didn't find any problem and not realizing keep validating local file instead of EFI folder one on the USB! I copied the verified one which worked straight away. thanx

@miliuco,

Thanks for the info on the 0.8.1 diffs ... useful post as always.

Question: does the new ResetNVRAMentry.efi driver replace the old CleanNvram.efi tool ?
I only ask because in OC 0.8.1 the CleanNvram.efi tool is still in the released package ?

In the past I've used the CleanNvram.efi tool but have implemented the new ResetNVRAMentry.efi driver as per your post, so now I have both ... seems odd that the devs would include the CleanNVram.efi tool in OC 0.8.1 if it is replaced by the new ResetNVRAMentry.efi driver ?

Of course it is easy to remove the CleanNvram.efi tool from my EFI and config.plist but am wondering if the two are functionally identical or if they offer different functionality ?

Could it be that ResetNVRAMentry.efi only resets the UEFI boot entries where as CleanNvram.efi completely clears/cleans NVRAM ? ... Just looking for clarification as I haven't had a chance to test them yet ?

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
@jaymonkey
At some point I read a comment from OpenCore (vit9696 I think I remember) about CleanNVRAM and ResetNVRAM, one was integrated tool (now it is UEFI driver) and the other is optional tool, performing the same task.
I'm not sure the reason to keep both in OpenCore, maybe they are different in something but in the configuration PDF we can read:
  • ResetNvramEntry: Adds a menu entry which resets NVRAM and immediately restarts.
  • CleanNvram: Reset NVRAM alternative bundled as a standalone tool.

Slightly off topic, I know ... did your 5.1 require any firmware upgrades to run macOS 12?

TIA
See

You'll need F/W 144-0-0-0-0

I'm not sure the reason to keep both in OpenCore, maybe they are different in something but in the configuration PDF we can read:
  • ResetNvramEntry: Adds a menu entry which resets NVRAM and immediately restarts.
  • CleanNvram: Reset NVRAM alternative bundled as a standalone tool.

@miliuco,

Many thanks for the info, sounds like I can remove the ClearNvram.efi tool and just keep the new ResetNvramEntry.efi

It seems odd to me that both ResetNvramEntry.efi and ToggleSipEntry.efi are now drivers rather than tools but I guess there must be a reason for it, nice to see that they have their own unique icons though.

Cheers
Jay

@jaymonkey
I also have included ResetNVRAM and removed CleanNVRAM. One of them is enough.

I have read anywhere that OC developers have moved these 2 tools towards UEFI driver by modularity. Don’t ask me for examples because I have none :)

OC version 0.8.2 has been released.

OC version 0.8.2 has been released.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back