Rebuilt USB with new OC 0.6.8 download.
Have gone through and updated config.plist to 0.6.8 using OC Compare
Disabled drives in BIOS
Rebooted
Enabled OC 0.6.8 USB drive only
Reset NVRAM
Reboot

Result above ... :(

Might try the debug version of 0.6.8 just to see if I can get a 0.6.8 bootloader?

EDIT - trying NVRAM reset via Terminal and get:

sudo nvram -c
Password:
nvram: Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted

Anyone?

Last edited:
@rheneas
Don't download each file individually, do as in the attached image (green Code button), this way you download the full package at once, discard Drivers folder (inside it there are versions of HfsPlus.efi if you're interested), and get the entire resources folder.

View attachment 514843
Thank you so much!! I'd begun downloading them individually, because I couldn't see your reply with TonyMac being down. :):):)

View attachment 515321
Just don’t understand.

Rebuilt USB with new OC 0.6.8 download.
Have gone through and updated config.plist to 0.6.8 using OC Compare
Disabled drives in BIOS
Rebooted
Enabled OC 0.6.8 USB drive only
Reset NVRAM
Reboot

Result above ... :(

Might try the debug version of 0.6.8 just to see if I can get a 0.6.8 bootloader?

EDIT - trying NVRAM reset via Terminal and get:

sudo nvram -c
Password:
nvram: Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted

Anyone?
That was my guess, it was an issue with NVRAM not being able to be reset. I'm not very familiar with your motherboard, last socket 1155 I ran was a looooong time ago.

EDIT: Maybe a change in OpenRuntime.efi is disabling NVRAM for your board (non-native right?)

Last edited:
No my understanding is native hence the total confusion.

native NVRAM
I really didn’t dig into that too deeply but I did see a number of older posts talking about how some socket 1155 boards do not. As I said those posts were talking about Clover and memory drivers.

OC GUI:
I have attached below a copy of my working 0.6.8 Resources folder, with the non-en audio files removed, this makes it much smaller and easier to share.

Try this Resources folder in place of your current one, see if that helps with the GUI issue.

Picker List showing obsolete devices:
How do you have your SIP configured in your /OC/config.plist?

Maybe you should add/enable the ClearNvram tool and use that from the GUI or picker list in place of ResetNvram.

Gigabyte Bios:
Your Gigabyte Z77 board has a dual bios, same as my Z87/Z97 Haswell board(s). You could try switching to the alternative 'B' Bios chip (Backup). Normally the system will be running on the 'M' Bios (Main). Not sure if your board has the physical switch option for switching bios chips, my high end Z97 boards have this option.

If your board lacks the physical bios switch you may have to do one of the manual power button/reset button options listed below to force the system to re-flash the main bios or switch to the backup bios.

Method #1:
  1. Shut your PC down
  2. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again
  3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it.
Method #2:
  1. Shut your PC down
  2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
  3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.
I couldn't find a link to your Z77X-UPH-TH board, it kept throwing up Z77X-UP4/5-TH boards, so I couldn't check to see if your board has a physical switch for the bios change.

To clear all the obsolete entries in your bios you may need to re-flash the bios. This would be your last resort, and it would be best to use the identical Bios version of the one you are currently using when doing this, as you don't want to mess up your bios so you can't boot.

Attachments

• Resources.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 75
Apologies that’s a typo ( all these years and never noticed, now fixed ) ... it’s the Gigabyte GA-Z77X UP5 TH. Same as @Stork's Golden Build.

Definitely DUAL BIOS. Has manual switch. Using Modified Tweaktown F12j BIOS to allow NVMe as boot drive which was unsupported originally.

I followed the Dortania Ivy Bridge guide to the letter. Excepting for boot arg -v was removed as I was setting this up for the clean up stage.

1618613845620.png

I had just recently added back all the tools in OC 0.6.8 tools folder so have Clean NVRAM tool but am uncertain on how to run this versus Reset NVRAM.

Is the SIP query because the idea is to disable SIP (recovery mode?), reboot and then run NVRAM reset in terminal, reboot and re enable SIP?

When in front of computer will try various ideas above and also upload config.plist that I’m using on test USB to confirm (I’ll remove serial etc details). EDIT - Attached (disregarding stupid file naming).

The one comment is that all my main drive EFI (Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur) are currently 0.6.7 and only the test USB is 0.6.8. I’m wanting to move away from Mojave to Catalina. Was about to hence the desire to get a visual picker. Big Sur is just for research ATM (needing a different SMBIOS than 14.2 to install).

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• config.plist TEST USB.plist
    30.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
... Is the SIP query because the idea is to disable SIP (recovery mode?), reboot and then run NVRAM reset in terminal, reboot and re enable SIP?...
Forget Disable SIP if you are in Big Sur. It is not necessary for any of the usual tasks and it is very difficult to disable it. Although there are sites with instructions for disabling SIP in Big Sur, in practice the task is complicated by the snapshots of the operating system. It is difficult to carry out successfully.

Forget Disable SIP if you are in Big Sur. It is not necessary for any of the usual tasks and it is very difficult to disable it. Although there are sites with instructions for disabling SIP in Big Sur, in practice the task is complicated by the snapshots of the operating system. It is difficult to carry out successfully.
Wasn't assuming to ... ATM the process is simply to get from Mojave to Catalina with visual picker and understand why NVRAM resets aren't working. Progress to OC from Clover up to 0.6.7 has been fine so far and when I had to NVRAM reset to get from 0.6.6 to 0.6.7 upgrade there didn't seem to be issues.

config.plist from 0.6.8 test USB drive attached to previous post.

OC GUI:
I have attached below a copy of my working 0.6.8 Resources folder, with the non-en audio files removed, this makes it much smaller and easier to share.

Try this Resources folder in place of your current one, see if that helps with the GUI issue.

Maybe you should add/enable the ClearNvram tool and use that from the GUI or picker list in place of ResetNvram.

Gigabyte Bios:
Your Gigabyte Z77 board has a dual bios, same as my Z87/Z97 Haswell board(s). You could try switching to the alternative 'B' Bios chip (Backup). Normally the system will be running on the 'M' Bios (Main). Not sure if your board has the physical switch option for switching bios chips, my high end Z97 boards have this option.

If your board lacks the physical bios switch you may have to do one of the manual power button/reset button options listed below to force the system to re-flash the main bios or switch to the backup bios.

Method #1:
  1. Shut your PC down
  2. Hold the power button until the PC starts and shuts down again
  3. Press the power button again, your backup BIOS should kick in now and should re-flash the main BIOS if there's anything wrong with it.
Method #2:
  1. Shut your PC down
  2. Hold the power AND the reset button for about 10 sec, than release.
  3. Backup BIOS should kick in anytime soon now.
I couldn't find a link to your Z77X-UPH-TH board, it kept throwing up Z77X-UP4/5-TH boards, so I couldn't check to see if your board has a physical switch for the bios change.

To clear all the obsolete entries in your bios you may need to re-flash the bios. This would be your last resort, and it would be best to use the identical Bios version of the one you are currently using when doing this, as you don't want to mess up your bios so you can't boot.
OC GUI:
Try this Resources folder in place of your current one, see if that helps with the GUI issue

Done and no change.

Attached config.plist above to view. Seems to be set as required.

Unsure how to use ClearNvram. If it meant to appear as a tool in picker I'm not given that option.

Regarding BIOS, have switched to backup BIOS, yet that exhibits same issue which isn't surprising as when I was having some USB issues (front ports not seen at boot) I swapped to backup BIOS to see if it was a corruption issue. When I use backup BIOS changes exist in OC text picker in that I don't see a EFI and Mojave choice compared to the above original picker image.

Note I have come across this post Opencore Nvram problem (Z97 board) which seems to be the same issue in that OC Nvram isn't allowing resets on a board with native nvram yet does in clover. The issue was fixed with a clean install. Mine isn't a clean install but was a direct OSX update on a Carbon Copy Mojave Opencore 0.6.7 backup disk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back