Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.6.7 > 0.6.8 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have edited your USB test config, from post #27.

This includes some cleaning up of unnecessary placeholder entries, addition of an Empty/headless framebuffer for the Intel HD4000 IGPU, deletion of a duplicate Audio Codec entry (DeviceProperties entry removed, boot argument retained) and a few other changes.

Try booting with this config.plist see if it makes any difference.

Attachments

• config.plist TEST USBv2.plist.zip
    4.2 KB · Views: 56
@Edhawk will do ... when I tried a Nvram clear on Big Sur disk the error is slightly different

nvram: Error clearing firmware variable fmm-computer-name: (iokit/common) not permitted
nvram: Error clearing firmware variable csr-active-config: (iokit/common) not permitted

EDIT - the revised config.plist hasn’t changed the situation. I’m certain its a NVRAM issue.

Whether it’s Opencore upgrades to 0.6.8, or the multiple OS boot situation (in particular Big Sur) it’s obvious that others are having the same issue as I am in not being able to clear NVRAM when able to do so previously on native NVRAM motherboards.

The question is now do I Re flash the BIOS? Or do a clean install which others have suggested fixed their NVRAM clear / reset issues.

Last edited:
@rheneas
Don't download each file individually, do as in the attached image (green Code button), this way you download the full package at once, discard Drivers folder (inside it there are versions of HfsPlus.efi if you're interested), and get the entire resources folder.
0.6.8 is booting beautifully now. Just one more question: How can I get it to pick the Big Sur icon first, instead of Windows (separate NVMe drives)? I've read through the materials and don't see how to do it. Is it a setting in OpenCanopy? I thought I could do it in my BIOS but don't see an option there.

@Westsurf NVRAM error is probably a security protocol introduced with Big Sur alongs ice the Snapshot feature, as these systems have switched to Apple's SSV (Signed System Volume). So the system won't let you Clear the Nvram using the OC tools.

If you want to re-flash the bios, use the Bios's built in Flash program. By the sounds of it you are using a custom Bios, not a standard Gigabyte Bios, just copy the custom Bios to a FAT32 formatted USB drive and you should be able to select and run it from the Gigabyte Bios EZ-Flash program.

A Clean install may work, as long as you are booting from a USB Installer and run the ClearNvram option before you start with the installation. I doubt it would work if you were booting from your current OC setup on the macOS drive. Using your current working setup on the USB drive would be the best option.

@rheneas Use the System Preferences > Startup Disk pane to set your default boot disk. OpenCore uses this feature in macOS to set the default boot drive.

Screenshot 2021-04-18 at 13.59.57.png

Click on the Padlock icon to unlock the option, enter your password, and then select the drive from the list available.

0.6.8 is booting beautifully now. Just one more question: How can I get it to pick the Big Sur icon first, instead of Windows (separate NVMe drives)? I've read through the materials and don't see how to do it. Is it a setting in OpenCanopy? I thought I could do it in my BIOS but don't see an option there.
In addition to what @Edhawk commented, I propose you 2 things:
  • In BIOS > Boot section, make sure macOS disk is placed first (first boot device)
  • In OpenCore menu, with the macOS icon selected, press Ctrl (the selector icon changes to another icon) and press ENTER at the same time, thereby marking that macOS disk as the one that OpenCore will boot by default (only 0.6.8).

Last edited:
@rheneas Use the System Preferences > Startup Disk pane to set your default boot disk. OpenCore uses this feature in macOS to set the default boot drive.

View attachment 515525

Click on the Padlock icon to unlock the option, enter your password, and then select the drive from the list available.
Thanks. I will do that. Never occurred to me.

In addition to what @Edhawk commented, I propose you 2 things:
  • In BIOS > Boot section, make sure macOS disk is placed first (first boot device)
  • In OpenCore menu, with the macOS icon selected, press Ctrl (the selector icon changes to another icon) and press ENTER at the same time, thereby marking that macOS disk as the one that OpenCore will boot by default (only 0.6.8).
Again, thanks. I attempted @Edhawk's suggestion several times. The Big Sur disk drive is the only option displayed; selecting it made no difference.

I had the MacOS disk selected in BIOS as the first choice. In the OpenCore menu, when I press Ctrl and ENTER together, it drops the MacOS to the last selection in BIOS, and then won't boot.

I appreciate the support from both. Obviously I can live with the minor inconvenience and keep working on this. :)

Hi!
I'm not using OpenCanopy but, for the time being, I'd like to filter out some of the entries in the picker, just like you do in Clover (GUI>Hide Volume, etc.).
=> actually, I have multiple instances of OSX in different partitions on the same drive, so in Clover I have set Custom Entries with only the entries I want to see, that's what I'd like to reproduce in OpenCore.

I guess it's something to add in Misc>Entries? But it seems a bit complex to add Path (PciRoot, etc.) for each partition...
I haven't tried HideAuxiliary (I want to keep the Reset NVRAM entry, just in case)
I have found nothing really clear at Dortania...

So: is there a simple way?

I haven't tried HideAuxiliary (I want to keep the Reset NVRAM entry, just in case)
Even with HideAuxiliary enabled you can press spacebar at the OC boot picker to see ALL of the options (including NVRAM reset, OpenShell etc).

In OpenCore menu, with the macOS icon selected, press Ctrl (the selector icon changes to another icon) and press ENTER at the same time, thereby marking that macOS disk as the one that OpenCore will boot by default (only 0.6.8).

In addition to this you need to set "Misc -> Security -> AllowSetDefault = 1", only then 'control + enter' will make selected boot option the default. If not check your NVRAM is working.

So: is there a simple way?
You can either choose to HideAuxilliary or define all your entries manually. Read the Misc Section of the OpenCore PDF for more info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back