Contribute
Register

[HOW TO] OpenCore 0.6.3 > 0.6.4 differences

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi miliuco,
I recently manage to built a OC Config Plist and install OS Big Sur on my Gigabyte Z97X/Haswell I7 and it seems to get most important features to work except for AppleTV+ and Netflix can't get it to play in Safari. However I have a dual boot system. Mac and window7. Every time I choose to boot into win7 from OC, it crashed the window and corrupt window 7's boot sector(on a separate HD). I have tried to fix this without success. I wonder if you could give me a recommendation on how to fix this issue. Thanks.

Hi miliuco,
I recently manage to built a OC Config Plist and install OS Big Sur on my Gigabyte Z97X/Haswell I7 and it seems to get most important features to work except for AppleTV+ and Netflix can't get it to play in Safari. However I have a dual boot system. Mac and window7. Every time I choose to boot into win7 from OC, it crashed the window and corrupt window 7's boot sector(on a separate HD). I have tried to fix this without success. I wonder if you could give me a recommendation on how to fix this issue. Thanks.
Try this: set CustomSMBIOSGuid=true on Kernel / Quirks and PlatformInfo / UpdateSMBIOSMode=Custom. By doing this OpenCore doesn't pass SMBIOS parameters to Windows. Try and comment.

Try this: set CustomSMBIOSGuid=true on Kernel / Quirks and PlatformInfo / UpdateSMBIOSMode=Custom. By doing this OpenCore doesn't pass SMBIOS parameters to Windows. Try and comment.
Thank you very much. I will try it once I get a chance and will get back to you. Hopefully in the next a couple days.

I am new to OpenCore. I have to confess I started out by simply copying a EFI folder from another member, so my understanding is not that strong. I have successfully used OC 0.63 to get Big Sur to run well and now I am wondering if I need/should update to 0.64. I do not know what the process is for updating; from what I can tell, I have to manually copy all the files over and edit the config.plist by hand. This seems prone to error as I don't know what I have to/must change in the existing config.plist to make it compliant with 0.64.

I am new to OpenCore. I have to confess I started out by simply copying a EFI folder from another member, so my understanding is not that strong. I have successfully used OC 0.63 to get Big Sur to run well and now I am wondering if I need/should update to 0.64. I do not know what the process is for updating; from what I can tell, I have to manually copy all the files over and edit the config.plist by hand. This seems prone to error as I don't know what I have to/must change in the existing config.plist to make it compliant with 0.64.
If you're comfortable with OC 0.6.3, don't be in a hurry to switch to 0.6.4. Version 0.6.4 has only been with us for 1 month.
For less experienced people, changing the OC version has a simple part (changing the old OC files by the new ones) and a complicated part (transplanting the old config.plist to the new one).

The simple thing is to replace several files with those of the new version:
  • BOOT folder
  • OC / Bootstrap folder
  • OC / OpenCore.efi file
  • existing drivers in the Drivers folder (except HfsPlus.efi which is maintained between versions)
  • tools in the Tools folder.
The tricky thing is adapting config.plist. Each new version of OC adds or removes some keys in this file and a well-formed file must be obtained to boot without errors.
There is a method that works well but requires some knowledge: when downloading OC, there is a Docs folder with a Differences.pdf file detailing the changes of config.plist between previous version and current version. This document is important to get update right.

But for now, don't be in a hurry to change, OC 0.6.3 is quite recent and works very well.

If you're comfortable with OC 0.6.3, don't be in a hurry to switch to 0.6.4. Version 0.6.4 has only been with us for 1 month.
For less experienced people, changing the OC version has a simple part (changing the old OC files by the new ones) and a complicated part (transplanting the old config.plist to the new one).

The simple thing is to replace several files with those of the new version:
  • BOOT folder
  • OC / Bootstrap folder
  • OC / OpenCore.efi file
  • existing drivers in the Drivers folder (except HfsPlus.efi which is maintained between versions)
  • tools in the Tools folder.
The tricky thing is adapting config.plist. Each new version of OC adds or removes some keys in this file and a well-formed file must be obtained to boot without errors.
There is a method that works well but requires some knowledge: when downloading OC, there is a Docs folder with a Differences.pdf file detailing the changes of config.plist between previous version and current version. This document is important to get update right.

But for now, don't be in a hurry to change, OC 0.6.3 is quite recent and works very well.
OK, it appears my understanding of the update process is essentially correct. As you say, I will not change from 0C 0.6.3 at this time. The Differences.pdf gives the changes between the current and the previous version. I am concerned that if I get too far behind it may become extremely difficult to determine the changes required.

OK, it appears my understanding of the update process is essentially correct. As you say, I will not change from 0C 0.6.3 at this time. The Differences.pdf gives the changes between the current and the previous version. I am concerned that if I get too far behind it may become extremely difficult to determine the changes required.
:thumbup:

Thank you very much for summarizing this Information.
My first attempt in upgrading to OpenCore 0.6.4 resulted in a hang.
Now let's try again.

Thank you very much for summarizing this Information.
My first attempt in upgrading to OpenCore 0.6.4 resulted in a hang.
Now let's try again.
What went wrong? The best way to make the change, apart from replacing the version-specific files, is to open the 2 config.plist files, the one you use in 0.6.3 and the example 0.6.4, and put them together one next to the another, to review the missing lines, also the ones to be removed, taking into account the changes that I comment on in my article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back