Contribute
Register

How To Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover

Having a very hard time using Clover.

I tried migrating from Chimera but I get "Still waiting for root device".
I tried booting the USB flash just like in the guide and after a long very verbose time, just after "DSMOS has arrived" my machine reboots on itself.

I followed your guide thoroughly many times, can't get past those issues.

FYI, I'm using -f argument with my Chimera setup (I tried NoCaches key with Clover too).

My machine specs are listed on my profile (with GA-Z87X-UD5H)

**EDIT**
I think I've got it now (for the initial USB boot). This is because of the Maxwell card not being supported natively > Opening up a new thread about this.

Last edited:
Hey,

after installing Yosemite and I boot from the USB it works without any problems, I can use my mouse and keyboard, but then after the boot process I can't use them.
What can be the problem.

System

Gigabyte S-1150 GA-Z87MX-D3H
Intel Xenon E3 Haswell
GTX 770

woke up this morning and thought I would give Clover a try since it seems like the way to go..

no Such luck... made the Usb stick to all the specs in this guide and i can get to the BOOT manager (I guess its on a Usb 3.0 port) but it Fails to see the USB stick in boot Manger...

Also tried it on all the ports.. 2.0 and 3.0... Seems no matter what the same Thing happens..

I wanted to ask.. if i currently have a yosemite install working fine with all my kexts and devices... Should i even bother trying to do a fresh install with clover?

i mean is the only reason to do this Just to get iMessage and FaceTime Working ?

i have a GA-Z87-D3HP ​mother board

i mean is the only reason to do this Just to get iMessage and FaceTime Working ?

That's the only reason I see for it, honestly. If those worked with Chimera, I'd still be looking at Chimera and be very happy with it.

I'm still getting the "no entry" sign while the Apple installer installs to my SSD.

Questions about guide instructions:

There's no 10.10 directory in EFI/CLOVER/kexts. I assume I just create a new directory? (what about existing OTHER directory?)

In step 2, create bootable USB drive, I assume steps 20-25 are done after I select custom stuff and AFTER I do the "install" button next to "Go Back"?

Using the attached "config.plist-Standard.zip" should work regardless of video card? (or do I REQUIRE "config.plist-GE=YES-ATI.zip given I have ATI card and no HD graphics on my CPU?)

Further, what do I need todo? "Clover Configurator" and start experimenting? i.e. use Configurator on the USB installer?

Following instructions exactly, I get the "authenticate" requests when moving kexts files to USB installer. Later, after rebooting, if I copy files to USB installer, there's no requests issued? Am I doing something wrong?

(sorry for silly questions, just trying to eliminate any silly errors)

Mark,

What flummoxes me is the interaction between the clover installer and corestorage volumes. When I install clover to the system's hard drive, there are no files listed on its EFI partition.
Has anyone figured this out? I'm hitting the same issue - Yosemite sets up a corestorage volume for the OS disk. As a result, when you tell clover installer to install on "Yosemite" disk, there are no other partitions there (disk1 in example below). It installs to /EFI instead of /Volumes/EFI/EFI. How do you get it to see disk0 or have Yosemite not create the logical volume?

Code:
/dev/disk0
   #:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *128.0 GB   disk0
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk0s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS                         127.2 GB   disk0s2
   3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3
/dev/disk1
   0:                  Apple_HFS Yosemite                 *127.2 GB   disk1
                                 Logical Volume on disk0s2
                                 CA57A3C0-A84D-4385-961E-550D451B39C9
                                 Unencrypted
/dev/disk2
   0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *7.8 GB     disk2
   1:                        EFI EFI                     209.7 MB   disk2s1
   2:                  Apple_HFS Install OS X Yosemite   7.5 GB     disk2s2

I'm still getting the "no entry" sign while the Apple installer installs to my SSD.

Questions about guide instructions:

There's no 10.10 directory in EFI/CLOVER/kexts. I assume I just create a new directory? (what about existing OTHER directory?)

Create the new folder yourself. Right click>options> new folder name it 10.10

step 2, create bootable USB drive, I assume steps 20-25 are done after I select custom stuff and AFTER I do the "install" button next to "Go Back"?
You have to do this manually. Follow the steps.

the attached "config.plist-Standard.zip" should work regardless of video card? (or do I REQUIRE "config.plist-GE=YES-ATI.zip given I have ATI card and no HD graphics on my CPU?)
You need to research if your Radeon Graphics card works natively or not, If not, graphics needs to be enabled.

what do I need todo? "Clover Configurator" and start experimenting? i.e. use Configurator on the USB installer?

Best when trying to make a config file work for you. Make a back up of the one that you've not edited. Make an edit then test. Little is more as it is with org.chameleon.Boot.plist. Good thing about testing from the USB you won't affect your install. Use the same configuration as if you are using Chimera. Do you need to inject for certain hardware you use. If not don't use injection.

I had the same issue as above: no kext/10.10/ directory, only 10.9 and below so I made a 10.10 directory.
When I boot to Clover and select "install Yosemite" it does nothing. nothing at all.

I had the same issue as above: no kext/10.10/ directory, only 10.9 and below so I made a 10.10 directory.
When I boot to Clover and select "install Yosemite" it does nothing. nothing at all.

I'd tried creating a directory "10.10", and also tried putting kexts in "OTHER". Either way I was able to run the installed (at least until its hangs.) Suspect that the directory is not the problem.

The LEDs on my USB drive flash. Even when the display goes black, the hard drive light stays on, and the USB drive flashes occasionally as it is accessed.

Make sure that you follow each and every step. It works. One step for creating the USB and another for booting the SSD/HD. Build the USB and get your system bootable. Once you are happy with the configuration file you can then move it to your SSD/HD EFI partition along with your kexts, DSDT's/SSDT's etc after installing Clover to the EFI partition. Your successful USB install will reflect your Drive install.

Back