Contribute
Register

How To Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover

J

Last edited:
I'd tried creating a directory "10.10", and also tried putting kexts in "OTHER". Either way I was able to run the installed (at least until its hangs.) Suspect that the directory is not the problem.

The LEDs on my USB drive flash. Even when the display goes black, the hard drive light stays on, and the USB drive flashes occasionally as it is accessed.

TO ALL,

If you are booting with integrated graphics, Ensure that you BIOS is set to Integrated Graphics, Apple only supports Intel.
If you're booting with a discrete card, make sure you are booting with PCI/E. And disable onboard Intel Graphics.

Installing with UEFI means booting your USB with UEFI*Your USB Installer/Bootloader* and not your Legacy USB, refers to SSD and HDD also.

Hey,

after installing Yosemite and I boot from the USB it works without any problems, I can use my mouse and keyboard, but then after the boot process I can't use them.
What can be the problem.

System

Gigabyte S-1150 GA-Z87MX-D3H
Intel Xenon E3 Haswell
GTX 770

I'm having an issue trying to boot from my USB.

I initially installed Yosemite using Chimera and everything went OK. Afterwards, I decided it was about time to switch to UEFI. The bios upgrade went fine. After removing my DSDT, my install was still fine and things working for the most part. Ok, so next up, switch to clover. I was just going to do a fresh install. Now after following this guide, when I try booting from USB, it seemingly goes well with no issues but right before booting up, the screen turns off. If I turn the monitor back on it just says no signal. I then have to hit the power button to restart. I've tried using both the Nvidia and Standard configs with the same result. I'm not booting with any flags, never needed to before. As of now Yosemite seems to be running great with Chimera. I just thought I'd try it the clover way. Am I missing something?

Gigabyte UD3H-B3 Rev 1.3
GTX 650

Yes, UEFI is supported and I was sure to select the loader which was labelled UEFI. It is an Asus P8Z77-I board.

There was a "normal" selection for the USB (which did not list UEFI) and a "UEFI" version of the USB stick, which I selected. As I said, the only difference in what I chose was "Install for UEFI Only" due to it being an Asus board, which Tony recommended.

**EDIT** I believe I found my problem - I did NOT chose "Install clover in the ESP" in the configuration right below the "Install for UEFI only". That is not called out specifically in the guide (just giving a tip!). I will attempt that tonight and report back.

Okay so here is where I stand. Keep in mind that I can boot with the same media set with Unibeast no problem.

Before I attempted ANY of this, here is what I did.

1. Booted into BIOS
2. Load optimized defaults
3. ECHI Handoff Enabled (tried disabled as well, no difference)
4. Made sure ACHI was set and HPET was enabled
5. Turned "Secure Boot" to "Other OS" (tried Windows as well, no difference)

Here is what I attempted:

Attempt 1:

Same settings as in Post 1 to make Install Media, however I tried "Install to UEFI Only" first option. Setup config per standard config and edited to add my ROM and MLB values. Set kexts based on instructions. Disabled Intel injection as I am using a native 660 Ti. Rebooted. Brought up boot menu via F8, selected USB stick (UEFI version). Screen flashes what looks like a menu for half a second and reboots (non successful boot). Attempted to boot the non UEFI version as well, same thing happens.

Attempt 2:

Same settings as in Post 1 to make Install Media, however I tried "Install to UEFI Only" first option AND "Install in ESP". Setup config per standard config and edited to add my ROM and MLB values. Set kexts based on instructions. Disabled Intel injection as I am using a native 660 Ti. Rebooted. Brought up boot menu via F8, selected USB stick (UEFI version). Screen flashes what looks like a menu for half a second and reboots (non successful boot). Attempted to boot the non UEFI version as well, same thing happens.

Attempt 3:

Same settings as in Post 1 to make Install Media, used the EXACT SAME SETTINGS as is listed. Setup config per standard config and edited to add my ROM and MLB values. Set kexts based on instructions. Rebooted. Brought up boot menu via F8, selected USB stick (UEFI version). Screen flashes what looks like a menu for half a second and reboots (non successful boot). Attempted to boot the non UEFI version as well, same thing happens.

Any ideas would be MUCH appreciated. As I said, I can use Unibeast just fine on this system, even booted into the Yosemite Installer fine with the same media as a Unibeast drive. I just NEED iMessage for my day to day business and interaction with clientele.

Thoughts?

Okay so here is where I stand. Keep in mind that I can boot with the same media set with Unibeast no problem.

Before I attempted ANY of this, here is what I did.

1. Booted into BIOS
2. Load optimized defaults
3. ECHI Handoff Enabled (tried disabled as well, no difference)
4. Made sure ACHI was set and HPET was enabled
5. Turned "Secure Boot" to "Other OS" (tried Windows as well, no difference)

Did you enable UEFI only in the BIOS? I think it is located under CSM settings.

Did you enable UEFI only in the BIOS? I think it is located under CSM settings.

Yes, all options are "UEFI first". If I set the boot mode to UEFI only, it does not boot anything and boots to the BIOS screen (what Asus does should it not find a boot device).

Keep in mind, on the boot menu it does see the UEFI option for the USB stick as if it is bootable, but when selected, it reboots as if it failed to initialize.

I have followed every single step. You can see my post about this at #92.
I have made at least a dozen of the USB drives and they show up on the boot screen. But when I click on them nothing happens. I have tried just about every imaginable change to the clover config as well. Everytime it shows up but nothing happens when the USB drive is selected.

Might this be a BIOS issue? I installed clover under 10.9.5 and it boots up perfect. However, I never installed it as a USB - I just installed it over an already working 10.9.5 chimera load. So I'm thinking that something in the bios setting might be off?

The USB does work though when its a unibeast USB.

What drivers did chose when installing Clover?

Screen Shot 2014-10-21 at 9.46.09 PM.png

Yes, all options are "UEFI first". If I set the boot mode to UEFI only, it does not boot anything and boots to the BIOS screen (what Asus does should it not find a boot device).

Keep in mind, on the boot menu it does see the UEFI option for the USB stick as if it is bootable, but when selected, it reboots as if it failed to initialize.

yup, that is exactly what mine does with clover as well.

I installed with Unibeast and legacy mode with somewhat success. I even used the fakesmc from unibeast's 10.10 install without success.

I need to find the config.plist from 10.10 unibeast. anyone know where unibeast installs it? I'm guessing it's a config issue. I've tried a dozen or more so far withopit success. Even tried the older clover without success.

btw, when i use my clover stick, it boots to the clover menu and when I select the usb to boot, it just hangs like it's locked up. I hit anykey and it unfreezes and redraws the clover boot screen. But any attempt to boot the install usb freezes.

Back