Contribute
Register

How to fix Corrupt Gigabyte BIOS ? (Mojave).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all.

Back again. I didn't upgrade to Opencore, yet. And... my system is down again.

I flashed up to F11, as advised in previous posts. This worked! Thank you! Thank you!

HISTORY:
Kind humans here helped me with a BOOT Media/Press a key error. Then... One day the power went out and when I rebooted I saw the Boot Media/press a key error. In the bios I saw that somehow my system was back on F4, not F11. How does that happen?

WHAT I DID
1. I flashed back to F11 again
2. I set the proper BIOS features and reboot

ISSUE/RESULT:
- I do not get the boot media error, but I do get the black screen (see screenshot). The black screen is where Clover would normally start to boot but nothing happens. It just stays like this.
- MB has "Ad" as the MB message. In the Z77 manual, "Ad" = Issue Ready To Boot event for OS Boot.

black.jpg

QUESTIOnS:
1. Does anyone know what causes this? Would there be a BIOS setting I might have missed? I checked, but perhaps I am blind.
2. I feel as though this is limited information. If so, how can I provide more details?

System info (also in my sig):
MB: Gigabyte GA-Z77x-UP5-TH
CPU: i7 3770K
Graphics: Intel HD 400
Bios Version: F11

Last edited:
I saw that somehow my system was back on F4, not F11. How does that happen?
Dual BIOS board - It has reverted to the backup BIOS.
See the motherboard manual for details.

Does anyone know what causes this?
Power spikes can corrupt data on hard drives or even affect the ability of the drive to function normally.

Try booting from a different drive or a USB.

Dual BIOS board - It has reverted to the backup BIOS.
See the motherboard manual for details.
OK!

Power spikes can corrupt data on hard drives or even affect the ability of the drive to function normally.
Really? I thought surge protector power strips prevented this. My machine was connected to one.

Try booting from a different drive or a USB.
I'll have to make 1. Will do.

Thank you!

Have you considered Quick-Flashing ("Q Flash") to the latest F12 version of BIOS?
Hello. Thank you.

Yes. Two things:

1. I actually did try F12 and it looks quite different. With the correct settings, it still didn't work. I will go over my BIOS settings again, but I think they are correct.

2. I was able to fix a prior issue and get the system running under F11, before this issue. So, I believe F11 should work.

Really? I thought surge protector power strips prevented this. My machine was connected to one.
If the power supply was interrupted during a write operation it could have corrupted the file system.

Quick question. Today I go grab a USB stick to make this boot drive.

I assume I'll need to make a special boot drive, right? A standard mac boot drive made for a real mac wouldn't work, right?

If so, should I create the same boot drive I would use to hack myself a mac (of my current make, model and OS)?

If not that, then what? :)

Did you read trs96's response to my question in post #8?
Hello. Yes. :)

I would love to try this. However, transitioning to OC would require a working system, right?

Based on the instructions I would need to remove certain clover docs, etc. I can't do that without booting up, I assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back