Contribute
Register

How to Destroy a Powermac G5 ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hahaha ... tell me honestly ... have you hacked my iMac's iSight, and see what I'm making here ? :headbang:

Cool going man, great fan's for little cost and got PWM too, you use a PWM-spitter (with own 12v power) too ?
So 4 fan's run on CPU-Fan control ?

Hahaha ... tell me honestly ... have you hacked my iMac's iSight, and see what I'm making here ? :headbang:

No hacking iSight cameras here. :)

Cool going man, great fan's for little cost and got PWM too, you use a PWM-spitter (with own 12v power) too ?
So 4 fan's run on CPU-Fan control ?

That is the plan.

I just have to recover from $1,200 of repairs on my wife's car before I continue hardware acquisition.

Alan

Thank you anyway, and yes it was part of the plan to keep it original as possible.
I don' know if you read my build (link in signature) but yours shares some common design elements, e.g. PCI divider, original fan mounts, rear panel, PSU conversion.

And the speaker is placed back if found a decent HDD bracket what fits in the original PCI room
So it cools the HDD's like the part above
You might want to check this link out. MaxUpgrades sold many Powermac G5 brackets including a PCI mount. It doest really look like much something you could make yourself. ALSO a while ago I purchased some PCI cards, that did nothing except have mounting holes for a 2.5" drive (cant find link).

http://www.maxupgrades.com/istore/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=140

I'm NOT gonna plug the speaker to the main-board cause I don't like the start-up beep and I'm looking around for a little tone generator to imitate the Apple 'boing' when powered up, so was in mind to attach the speaker on that little device. Anyone ?
I have plugged my speaker directly into the motherboard, and love the beep. One day I will install one of those ISD1820 boards, but triggering it is the main concern. Want to develop a circuit off the speakers beep sound, as yet I haven't seen anyone do this.

Hi Kiwi ...

Really really really great build ... I start my build with some own and somewhere seen idea's and it turns out, if look further on forums like
this and others, that I'm not the only one with the way of thinking how to build something :lol:

We are all little :idea: Einsteins :idea:
But sharing thoughts and idea's you keep learning.
I liked the HDD bracket you placed (the one in the link is ugly, sorry for that, but thanks for looking)
I might buy one like that and will make it fit in middle (PCI room), it's ok for you where you place yours and I have the space too,
but I wanna have the HDD's in the back cause of the noise they can make and after a while they DO make more noise ...

And for all others who gonna re-use the original power-supply ....
Keep it safe ! And (my own experience :oops:) isolate the top of the power-supply (inside) TOO cause in my case I installed the Hack Pro in another place and when plugged the power-cord in al the power in the house was gone cause of the earth-leak protection (there must be a better name for it)
And it seems out due dragging the case to somewhere else in the house the cooling plates from new PSU end-up (it was already close, but I missed seeing it before) against the case-top and made a shortcut to mother earth :eek:

Mmm ... yes indeed ... it qualify :eek:

Isn't it illegal to spray your G5 with paint ?

And why is that nice good looking front panel taken out :thumbdown:

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Hi there ...

Ow yes it do... more then enough ...
It was so cool that I could use it to cool my beer too ... :p
But ... then the problem came up .. it didn't fit in there, so I had 2 solutions at that moment...

Make the PSU room bigger, so the beer fits in there too, or cool it lesser ...
I used the second option .. only because I create another problem there for making a door ... :lol:

Ok ... done with the fun :silent:

Now I updated in the background the PSU to reduce the fan with this item:
http://www.reichelt.nl/Fan-Controll...8AAAIAAGYWWZY54d0b3083bbf9e3a6dc6b6823b141ca1

It's probably for sale everywhere, but here's where I did get it.
The reason why I didn't update my project page was that I'm working on a smart cooling system for all fan's in the system (still)
and as soon I'm ready I make a different project for it. :headbang:

Sneak preview :

IMG_0301 copy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back