1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
My Destroy a G5 Project, :headbang:

Parts Used :

MB GA-Z77N-Wifi with Intel i5-3570K
Disks Kingston HyperX SH100S3 120 Gb, WDC WD5000AADS 500 Gb
Any SATA Dvd player
Mem Corsair Vengeance LP CML16GX3M4X1600C7 (I used just 2 x 4GB of it)
Fans 1 x Noiseblocker X1 80 mm 1300rpm, 2 x Noiseblocker 60mm 1600rpm all 3-pin connections
PWM Fans 2 x Gelid Silent 9PWM 900rmp, 2 x Coolink SWiF2-92P 625rpm

IMG_0204.jpg

PWM signal cable splitter for synchronize 3 PWM fans
Scythe Ninja 3 Rev.B (and not using the fan on it)

I dissembled an old PC-Case for usingsome parts
(wires, connectors,MB montage backplate and IO Shield holder).

First of all … kill your working G5 and make it empty, but don't trow away (yet) all the parts.
Make a hole at the backside for thecable connections to MB.
Now place the MB montage backplate and IO Shield holder with double sided tape at the bottom of the empty G5.
And place it so, that the back fan and the power supply fits too later.

IMG_0234.jpgIMG_0235.jpgIMG_0183.jpg

I dissembled a power supply too andbuild it into the emptied G5 Power Supply case.

IMG_0223.jpgIMG_0225.jpg

Now assemble a fan 12v 5v splitter so that the 2 power-fans connected in serial and run on 6 v each.

IMG_0228.jpgIMG_0229.jpg

I take off the 5v parts and use it later for the HDD fans

Replace the 2 fans with the 60 mm Noise Blocker fans

IMG_0205.jpg

Connect all, and use the old power connector for the HDD place and connect it to the power supply (pic1),
place it outside just like the 24 pin power connector (pic3), the 4 pin power and the 3x4 pin disk connector (pic3)
and the yellow wire connected to rpm from ONE fan and close it (pic2).

IMG_0232.jpgIMG_0233.jpgIMG_0231.jpg

Replace the SATA cables with longer once

IMG_0236.jpg

Next step ... preparing the front and rear fans

IMG_0202.jpgIMG_0209.jpgIMG_0213.jpgIMG_0212.jpg

Re-use the old connector from the fans and connect them parallel to connector (pic1)
(Use only one of the two sensor wires, in my case this was it green)
Make your own choice for connector settings and do the same with the other site of the connector (pic2)
Use 4 PC motherboard screws (or something else what works) to place them on bottom of middle shield plate and play a little with it to get the proper hight. (pic3)

IMG_0215.jpgIMG_0216.jpgIMG_0219.jpg

Prepare rear fans too

IMG_0243.jpgIMG_0244.jpg

Make the front panel cable like I did, you can find more about it on this forum, or google for it, there's enough info on the internet, there are even complete sets for sale.

IMG_0220.jpg

The Motherboard, Mem, CPU and Cooler
Place the memory in slots and place the CPU and cooler (read the manuals for each of them) (Pic1)
I placed some graphic card coolers on some places of the MB to keep it cooler.(Pic2-4)

IMG_0237.jpgIMG_0238.jpgIMG_0239.jpgIMG_0240.jpg

Ok ... time to place all parts in place (SATA Cables, Power Supply, Motherboard) (pic1)
And connect all cables (Power Connectors, Sata, Front Panel) (pic2)
Place the rear fans (pic3)
Now use "PWM signal cable splitter for synchronize 3 PWM fans" set to connect all fan-wires together and
connect this one to the MB too (pic4)

IMG_0241.jpgIMG_0242.jpgIMG_0245.jpgIMG_0246.jpg

Now only have a PWM cable from set left and that the one for the middle shield with the front-fan-connector

IMG_0218.jpgIMG_0247.jpg

Now prepare the "Motherboard cooler" :D
Connect the outside wires from original connector to 12v (yellow) and 5v (red)(with 47Ω resistor)
and the 2 middle wires to black. (pic1+2)
If fans start to take off to the moon, you have to swap the red and yellow wire (It might be handy to test this before
mount it into the case)
And place it all on a little peace of noise blocking hardware with double sided tape

IMG_0250.jpgIMG_0251.jpgIMG_0252.jpgIMG_0253.jpg

and place it somewhere where I did (With airflow toward the MB) (doh) :rolleyes:

IMG_0254.jpg

Close it (I tested it all before I closed up every thing) with the G5 front (pic1)
and place the prepared front fans (if cable not in the way it should be fit (pic2)

IMG_0248.jpgIMG_0249.jpg

Take the 2 disks, put them in place and connect them too with original power cables and longer SATA cables. (pic1+2)
For DVD player I used the four original screws on bottom and the metal cover at the front,
I opened the drive-door and remove the front panel door, it should all be fit and work (it did for me) (pic3)

IMG_0255.jpgIMG_0256.jpgIMG_0257.jpg

Ok ... TIME TO CONNECT THE BACK CABLES AND POWER UP :thumbup: !!!

IMG_0258.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap:

IMG_0259.jpgIMG_0260.jpgIMG_0261.jpgIMG_0262.jpg

:headbang:

Schermafbeelding 2013-02-02 om 14.00.58.jpg

Have fun ... happy hacking and greetingZzz :wave:
Standing here next to my ear with open case ... and guess what ... I only can hear de HDD :silent: :thumbup:
Now I need some sponsors for SSD's only :p

Next project ... looking for some nice intern HDD bay's

Destroy... I like to think of it as re-building. Like taking a classic car, and dropping a new engine in. Anyway great work, and good to see some of the original design elements of the case remain. i.e. Fan mounting and dividing frame (that holds G5 cover in place). Had you considered keeping the original speaker assembly?

Hi kiwi...

Hahaha ... I destroyed the G5 didn't I ? :p
Thank you anyway, and yes it was part of the plan to keep it original as possible.

And the speaker is placed back if found a decent HDD bracket what fits in the original PCI room
So it cools the HDD's like the part above, I'm NOT gonna plug the speaker to the main-board
cause I don't like the start-up beep and I'm looking around for a little tone generator to imitate the
Apple 'boing' when powered up, so was in mind to attach the speaker on that little device.

Anyone ?

PS Found something to start with, but not satisfied at the moment :problem:

ADD the mac osx STARTUP SOUND to your Hackintosh!

PPS Found a better solution for the chime sound ... thanx to nickjf20

My PowerMac i7 w/Chime

JBG - I enjoyed your posting. It is a good read and I commend you in your re-engineering of the G5 Power Mac. It goes to show that there is always another was to do something well.

neil

Hi Neil ...

:thumbup:
Thank you very much .... SIR !

The only thing that's left for me is that for the next project I'll try NOT to destroy de backside and try to re-use the back connections ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back