Contribute
Register

How to buy (by downloading) full OS-X Mountain Lion without owning a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is not only with Non-Mac but also older IMACs. I have Lion on my IMAC but Apple does not support Mountain Lion on my model. I tried to download Mountain Lion as i am building a Hackintosh myself and It states my computer will not support it so I cannot buy it. My Lion did not come with disks. How do I get mountain lion?

I have a 24-inch, Late 2006.

The problem is not only with Non-Mac but also older IMACs. I have Lion on my IMAC but Apple does not support Mountain Lion on my model. I tried to download Mountain Lion as i am building a Hackintosh myself and It states my computer will not support it so I cannot buy it. My Lion did not come with disks. How do I get mountain lion?

I have a 24-inch, Late 2006.

If you have downloaded Lion for your iMac, then it should still be available for you to download again and then you can create the USB drive with 10.7.5, this will work with Ivy Bridge motherboard and CPU and allow you to update to 10.8 if you wish - cost of update to Mountain Lion approx $20.

Adrian B

I'm currently using a Power Mac and recently decided to build a Hackintosh. A few days ago, I checked the link to purchase OS 10.8 and it all looked fine and I thought, "good...I'll get it when I'm ready." Tonight, however when I went back all I find at Apple is the new Maverick and can't find Mountain Lion anywhere. The link to Snow Leopard is still fine and I suspect I could start with that and upgrade to 10.8. However, in the back of my mind, I'm also wondering if I could install 10.5 (I have the disk for that) and start running upgrades from there.

So....after doing more research, I see on the Apple Forum that one way I can get Lion (if I'm operating with 10.5.8) is to upgrade to Snow Leopard up to 10.6.8(?) and from there I would then be able to obtain Lion from the App Store which I can't even access at this point. My thinking is that I could install 10.5.8 (I have the disk) into the Hackintosh and go from there. One thing that makes me nervous is a note above the list of graphic cards that numbers 6xxx/7xxx do not work with Snow Leopard. However, since I'm just using that OS as a stepping stone, perhaps that's not an issue for me. Comments?

I'm currently using a Power Mac
PowerMac PCs/MBPs will not run 10.6.0 and higher - this is where Apple changed to the Intel CU/chipsets from Motorola. You will probably have to go the school/library Mac route or purchase the 10.6.3 DVD and install SL first on your PC parts, then upgrade to 10.8.x or 10.9

Thanks for the response. So....the path I'm seeing for me is: build the Pro Hackintosh, purchase and install 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) and upgrade (purchase from the App Store) Mountain Lion.

With regards to the note at the top of the list of graphics cards (Note: 6xx/7xx cards do not work in Snow Leopard):
This pretty much covers all the cards in the list and I'm wondering if that means they don't work at all or if it just effects some of the functions of the card. As long as the card works well enough for me to get to the store and install Mountain Lion, I'm good.

Of course the other thing I could do is simply have a friend with a Mac get the OS for me or go to the library and get it from one of their computers if they have the right set up. Is there a charge from Apple for the download?

Thanks for the response. So....the path I'm seeing for me is: build the Pro Hackintosh, purchase and install 10.6.3 (Snow Leopard) and upgrade (purchase from the App Store) Mountain Lion.

With regards to the note at the top of the list of graphics cards (Note: 6xx/7xx cards do not work in Snow Leopard):
This pretty much covers all the cards in the list and I'm wondering if that means they don't work at all or if it just effects some of the functions of the card. As long as the card works well enough for me to get to the store and install Mountain Lion, I'm good.

Of course the other thing I could do is simply have a friend with a Mac get the OS for me or go to the library and get it from one of their computers if they have the right set up. Is there a charge from Apple for the download?

Tom, you can get a low cost GT210 to use for the install of Snow Leo if your other options don't
work out. Apple does not offer a download of Snow Leo, Lion or M.Lion. Your only option for installing
direct to your Pro CustoMac is to buy the retail S.L. DVD from Apple or Amazon. Once you update
to 10.6.8, 10.9 Mavericks is now Free from the App Store :clap: What's not to like about that :!:

I was wondering about Maverick. That's good to go for a Hackintosh? And you can get there direct from Snow Leopard 10.6.8?

I was wondering about Maverick. That's good to go for a Hackintosh? And you can get there direct from Snow Leopard 10.6.8?

Yes, if you build with compatible components and have Snow Leopard installed you will
upgrade directly to Mavericks. Choose from the Buyer's Guide and it should all work
well.

Sounds workable, assuming I put in that GT120 card initially to deal with Snow Leopard. I also assume I could then upgrade the card to one of the higher performing models suggested in the charts. I'll know more next week. I have a neighbor with a Mac and I suspect I can get with her and download Mountain Lion on her machine and I should be good to rock and roll. That's my favorite scenario.

Today, after doing more research, I found where I can order the disk for Mountain Lion. (http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/product/D6377Z/A/os-x-mountain-lion-consumer-single) I've scoured the Apple site forever looking for this and finally found it tonight via Google. I'm assuming that with this, I'll have no need for Snow Leopard, that Unibeast, etc will take over and configure things as needed. Of course, I don't really want to use Snow Leopard at all because of the graphics card issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back