Contribute
Register

How to buy (by downloading) full OS-X Mountain Lion without owning a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well....my neighbor isn't the most tech savvy person in the world and she told me she's forgotten or lost her password and isn't doing well with her interactions with Apple. And....she's running 10.5.8 with no plans to upgrade anything. I should be able to insert the SL DVD in her machine and create the Unibeast stick with that, I think. And that would be enough to get me started on my machine. My thinking is that once I have SL installed, I could then either take it to Mavericks or purchase the code to upgrade to ML. (I cancelled the original order for ML and got SL instead)

You'll have to give it a try and see what happens. Her Mac may be too old (the cpu has to be at least
a Core 2 Duo
) to even be eligible for a Lion or ML update much less Mavericks. If it is too old for those
you will have to to use iBoot to install Snow Leo on your build. Sounds simple doesn't it o_O
Good Luck :!:

That's an idea. I could spend some time with my neighbor and get her password situation worked out so I can get ML from Apple. That would simplify things. And, hopefully Apple will allow a download of ML coming from a unit running 10.5.8. I suspect that's a fairly big "if". I'll check to see what her CPU is too.

Use DVI-D or HDMI between motherboard and TV/monitor.

I see my new MoBo has both VGA and DVI-D outputs as does my monitor. Can I use the DVI-D to get through the initial installation until I get to ML if I go this route? I have the GE Force GTX 670, but it won't work in SL and I need the cheapest option to get through that and this would be nice. Once I'm in ML, I'd want to install the new GPU.

I could spend some time with my neighbor and get her password situation worked out so I can get ML from Apple.

Don't buy it with someone else's account - Create an account for yourself, buy the software and then you own it.

Don't buy it with someone else's account - Create an account for yourself, buy the software and then you own it.

Good point. I do have an ID and password, etc, but I didn't think I could use it on someone else's computer. So....if I do get the download from Apple, it shows up in her Applications folder, If I'm not mistaken and all I would have to do is to create my Unibeast installer there. I suspect I would also want to make a copy of those files (ML in her applications folder) for my records/back up.

So....if I do get the download from Apple, it shows up in her Applications folder, If I'm not mistaken and all I would have to do is to create my Unibeast installer there. I suspect I would also want to make a copy of those files (ML in her applications folder) for my records/back up.

That should do the trick :thumb up:

Good Luck

Good point. I do have an ID and password, etc, but I didn't think I could use it on someone else's computer.

You certainly can use your Apple id on a computer that does not belong to you. The purchase is tied to the Apple id - and you need to have the ability to update and upgrade the software. Use your own account at the App store.

So....if I do get the download from Apple, it shows up in her Applications folder, If I'm not mistaken and all I would have to do is to create my Unibeast installer there. I suspect I would also want to make a copy of those files (ML in her applications folder) for my records/back up.

Follow the UniBeast guide for 10.8, once have created it, then you can get started on your installation. If you are unable to download from your neighbor's Mac and you cannot find another suitable machine, then you need to order 10.6.3 from Apple direct - they will ship a disk to you in a couple of days. As I stated in my last comment on this thread you may require an older GPU to use with Snow Leopard.

Good Luck :thumb up:

Adrian B

Hi there, I came across some difficulties to download Moutain Lion 10.8 from the app store. I bought the app but wasn't able to download it. I don't know if anyone of you had the same issue since it's outdated but still, it's a pretty good OS. I found out how to download it. You have to install a previous version (i.e. Lion) and buy the app with your user ID. then you press the purchase thumbnail and click on download. It would seem at this point that it's not downloading but then you have to click the launchpad and go to the 2nd screen and you'll see the app on pause. Just click on it and it'll resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back