Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of my first every build. I followed this post and got my Hackintosh up and running however its super sluggish. I can't type hardly windows take forever to appear, & a lot of other issues. My graphics card I think isn't running correctly which is causing this issue. I had a GTX 1080 TI and it was doing the same thing but that wasn't my graphics card to keep so unfortunately the only one I have now is a RX 560. I know this post says its commonly not recommended because it doesn't run at its full potential but could this be the issue? Its like its not working at all which I thought it would work enough for usage. Anyway I have the same parts that's in this tutorial except I have an i9 7960x with an Asus prime x299 deluxe. I have 10.13.6 installed, and my config file I use is almost identical to what was provided here (a couple changes for to get the RX 560 to boot). Could I run a different model in my SYMBOS other than iMacPro 1,1 that would work better. I'm scratching my head right now and getting a little depressed.

@mm2margaret , @flmmkr ,
This might be a crucial step you are missing, as my GC-Titan Ridge also did not properly work under macOS primarily to this windows initialisation.
When you say "did not properly work under macOS", about how not are we talking about? Did it at least work as a display?
I ask because I'm trying to get my 27" LCD thunderbolt display to work with my CustoMac Pro.

GC-Titan Ridge is functioning oddly. Now my Thunderbolt RAID won't mount when I start the computer with it powered on and connected. But if I disconnected the TB cable and reconnect, it mounts. Both ports are hot-plugging now. I don't know why hot-plugging wasn't working at all yesterday and now work because I didn't change any settings or configuration at all. But now I can only get devices to work if they are hot-plugged.

Just got the Titan ridge, and using the new modular SSDT system. Everything is working But the titan ridge is not showing up on my Gigabyte board in PCI devices because the ioregistry address is different @kgp perhaps you can help me adopt it?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.23.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.23.03 PM.png
    169.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.20.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-27 at 11.20.49 PM.png
    187.3 KB · Views: 74
My Thunderbolt BIOS settings mirror what you have in the first post with the Alpine Ridge XCHI WA setting being Disabled. That’s what it was with the TBEX3 card. The only setting I changed there is ASPM is now set to Disabled whereas it was Enabled with the TBEX3 and previously in your guide.

When I was experimenting with the Asus Prime and various TB3 cards (Asus TBEX3, ASRock TB3, Gigabyte AlpineRidge) I found that if you didn't reset the BIOS settings (to reconfigure the thunderbolt ones) I had lost of nasty things happening: card not working fully, hotplugging no longer working etc...
When I modified the settings as per the guide with the ASRock TB3, the PC would no longer boot.
So all I changed in the TB3 settings were enabling it, and setting it to no security.

See if that works better for you that way

Update:

Dual 38" works fine and fluid with a Vega Frontier Edition. It has plenty of RAM to run dual 3840x1600.

FYI, running at 75Hz, there is a bit of lag in Chrome and some other applications, so I went back to 60Hz via DisplayPort.

I would say, this is mostly related to macOS and the need to optimize macOS for higher refresh rates as under Windows it's smooth. Apple doesn't have any Macs or displays that have high refresh rate (unless you count a ProMotion iPad as one...)

I can report a single LG 38" (3840x1600) works perfectly on a Radeon RX 560 4GB low profile MSI video card.

Just got the Titan ridge, and using the new modular SSDT system. Everything is working But the titan ridge is not showing up on my Gigabyte board in PCI devices because the ioregistry address is different @kgp perhaps you can help me adopt it?
The GB attach the PCI card to the PCH bridge, it's not going straight to the CPU's PCI lanes, that's why the card on the GB must be installed in the stated slot as per the documentation (on all X299 board it has to be in PCIe x4_2).

In the SSDT, you need to replace:
https://github.com/KGP/X299-System-SSDTs/blob/master/SSDT-X299-TB3HP-TTR.dsl#L87
Code:
    Scope (_SB.PC01.BR1A)
    {
        Scope (SL01)
        {
            Name (_STA, Zero)  // _STA: Status
        }

Scope (PEGP)
        {
        }

with something like:
Code:
    Scope (_SB.PCI0.RP21)
    {
        Scope (XXXX)
        {
        }

There's also some few things wrong showed by the IOReg screen capture, it should *NOT* be attached to a ANS2 device, you've messed things up somewhere there.
Once you have removed whatever ANS2 config you set, re-look into the IOReg and replace the XXXX above with whatever ACPI device the NHI device is attached to.

GC-Titan Ridge is functioning oddly. Now my Thunderbolt RAID won't mount when I start the computer with it powered on and connected. But if I disconnected the TB cable and reconnect, it mounts. Both ports are hot-plugging now. I don't know why hot-plugging wasn't working at all yesterday and now work because I didn't change any settings or configuration at all. But now I can only get devices to work if they are hot-plugged.

The first time I nearly see perfect BIOS settings and a correctly implemented EFI-Folder ;)

Two comments not related with GC-Titan Ridge:

1.) EIST - do you gain anything by enabling EIST? I have EIST disabled.
2.) You still use NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext which has been replaced by Whatsevergreen.kext v1.2.3

Else... no idea why your GC-Titan Ridge behaves different than mine.. I would nearly exclude the option of different firmware versions. Critical part is still the USB header. Did you try if TB HotPlug works when removing the USB cable? In this case USB-C will be non-functional but what about TB HotPlug?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back