Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my Magic Mouse 2 and Magic Trackpad 2 cursor to lag a lot, sometime a reboot fixes the issues but sometimes not.
I am also using a Magic Trackpad 2 connected via Bluetooth and experience no lag or stutter.
As the built in Intel-Bluetooth/WiFi-Card was not compatible with macOS i exchanged it with a Apple BCM94360CS2 (as used for example in a MacBookAir 11'') in an appropriate adapter card for the m.2 slot on the motherboard.
Adapter i used

I had to hack the metal casing for the ASRock provided Intel-Bluetooth/WiFi card to make room for the larger Apple-Adapter-Combo. But the result was worth the effort, as this setup works quite well!
For antennas i use some basic models i reused from an older ASUS board as the cable antenna provided by ASRock was not that good.

But i recon that the USB definition is important too. I defined the corresponding USB-Port for the bluetooth part of the BCM94360CS2 card with a value of 255 (instead of 3 as used for an USB3 Port) in my USB.kext.

Maybe this approach is worth a try if you like to tinker with some hard- and software?

But otherwise, if you stick 100% to @kgp guide i think the software side should be taken care of and you ought to get a perfect result if you use the exact same OSXWiFi card hardware.
But wait, your board is different to the one kgp uses for his guide? Maybe this is a thing to look into regarding your problem?
As i am using a completely different board and layout i can not give deeper advise regarding these differences (or lack of).

Note: i used this approach because my Mini-ITX board does not provide more than 1 PCIe port (which is obviously used for the GPU) and i think it is quite an elegant solution which uses the given resources well.

Reactions: kgp
I decided to upgrade some components for my build and took delivery from Amazon of: :
- Corsair HX850i PSU
- Intel core i9 7940x CPU
- EWGA DG85 case
To be continued ;)

Ok, I made a massive improvement to the quality of BT, and my BT headset works perfectly well now.

I played with the antennas, attempting to determine which one was used for BT.
The BCM943602CS has 3 connectors: J0, J1 and J2. J1 serves for 2.4GHz (both wifi and BT).
I connected the original antenna cable of the motherboard to the J1 connector, connecting the original 6dBi gain antenna to it. BT works great now, no interruption of any kind and distance isn't too bad either, it's perfectly fine over 5m away.

I'm guessing that with the wifi/bt card in the connector which has shielding and the super small antenna cable (less than 5cm long), also shielded (as within the metal enclosure) was enough to make it work.
When using the 30cm cables (to go from the wifi card to the OSXWifi plate with the antenna) introduced too much noise.

The motherboard only has two SMA connector though, so I still need to add another antenna, but that one is only for wifi anyway...

Do you know if the new MBP Wifi modules are available separately?

They are:
  • Apple/Universal Scientific Industrial (USI) 339S00428 Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module
From this teardown.

The Z390 chipset for the upcoming 9900k 8 core will have Wifi integrated in the chipset (Intel), which isn't good for us Hackintoshers...for getting updated Wifi/BT modules.

This will probably trickle down to MacBook Pros next year with the newer chipsets. Apple doesn't use Intel Wifi/BT modules, so maybe we will be able to use them...

If you do get these antennas (theres others but this one was Gigabyte so I went with it) make sure the antenna cables don't touch other cables or are near other cables like USB3.0 or power cables in the rear.

I would even not mount it on top of a PC case, move it away from the case as much as you can.

I grabbed a couple on eBay since I couldn't find them on amazon and so far they seem a lot better than the ones that came with the OSX Wifi. The antenna cables are still close to some usb wires but I'm not experiencing any lag with my magic mouse or stutter with my air pods so I'm happy :)

Use latest Clover distribution (>/=Clover_v2.4k_r4644) with lates AptioMemoryFix-64.efi..

If no change, re-flash BIOS..

so i instal clover like this (image atached)? i cant unckeck the "Clover for UEFI olny" option, will it create NY PROBLEM?
Also should i check the "install clover on the ESP" or not?
Screen Shot 2018-08-26 at 15.15.31.png

and lastly i tryed to plug a second monitor in my 1080ti on the dvi port and while macos x running it will work fine when i restart both monitors go black and wont work. have you instaled dual monitor in your set up? is it somthink i can do to fix the black screens on start up? maybe if i install the second monitor in a display port or HDMI via adaptor will fix the problem?

thank you again

Do you know if the new MBP Wifi modules are available separately?
I hadn't heard about that company before reading your message and checking ifixit.

The BT/Wifi broadcom module I use is BT 4.2 already, even though it was advertised as 4.0 only

Quick question to anyone.

I've been seeing system freezes lately if I export in Premiere (using Metal) to something like ProRes 422.

While I do other things on the 2nd monitor like Chrome and Discord.

Has anyone gotten the same?

I looked and checked all USB ports and I don't think it's related to that.

I thought it was Vega/OpenCL related.....but it's not.

Last edited:
I hadn't heard about that company before reading your message and checking ifixit.

The BT/Wifi broadcom module I use is BT 4.2 already, even though it was advertised as 4.0 only

Yeah it's a new module. Doesn't seem to be Broadcom anymore? It's soldered onto the board and with a smaller package.

Z390 chipset comes with Intel WIFI/BT built in. Curious if Apple will use it in the new iMacs that's coming out next month.

Ok, dramatic update! Even my wired mouse lags / stutters just like the Magic Mouse 2 so I suppose is not a BT issue. Any suggestion guys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back