Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure that also TB hot plug is working? If so, can you explain further details?

Cheers, man!

For now I can only test hotplug with
- USB or HDD connected on USB 3.1 port
- I always boot with my screen connected on USB C port

So :
- I can eject and replug USB or HDD on USB 3.1 port
- After wake USB or HDD is pluged and my screen goes on.
That all I can say.

Reactions: kgp
@ XRaegun: Further details might be useful.
Such as: the exact size and brand of USB thumb drive used?: USB 2.0 or USB 3.0; booting from a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port; located adjacent to the PS/2 ports, or elsewhere?
The target drive for installation of macOS: SATA or NVMe?

Test result:
i9 7960x No OC
Gt 730
Sandisk Xtreme Pro 1Tb
PlMeOsZ.png

NuexDIc.png

VrlY5L9.png

JISwhjh.png

Last edited:
Hello KGP, you would be so kind to answer me a couple of questions, it turns out that tomorrow I will buy an MSI GTX 1080 (My current card is the ASUS GTX 970).

I'm with 10.13.12 and everything works perfectly.

First question:

Just remove the GTX 970, install the GTX 1080 and start without problems even without graphical acceleration until you install the corresponding driver or there will be some problem to solve?

Second question:

Is it absolutely mandatory to update the BIOS as described in the guide or can I do it from the BIOS?
I say this last since it is much easier to do it from the BIOS and that this download the latest version since it is no longer necessary to patch the wake and sleep that does not concern me at all.

Thanks in advance for your invaluable help and greetings.

Hello KGP, you would be so kind to answer me a couple of questions, it turns out that tomorrow I will buy an MSI GTX 1080 (My current card is the ASUS GTX 970).

I'm with 10.13.12 and everything works perfectly.

First question:

Just remove the GTX 970, install the GTX 1080 and start without problems even without graphical acceleration until you install the corresponding driver or there will be some problem to solve?

Second question:

Is it absolutely mandatory to update the BIOS as described in the guide or can I do it from the BIOS?
I say this last since it is much easier to do it from the BIOS and that this download the latest version since it is no longer necessary to patch the wake and sleep that does not concern me at all.

Thanks in advance for your invaluable help and greetings.

ad.1) I would uninstall the Nvidia Web Driver Manager and the Nvidia Web Driver before changing the GPUs.
ad.2) You cannot flash the BIOS with the patched BIOS firmware within the BIOS. You MUST use EZFlashback.

Saludos (Greetings),

KGP

Perfect KGP, I will proceed to do it as you indicate.
Very kind and many thanks.

By the way I wanted to tell you that the graphic change is because the GTX 970 does not support UEFI and I have CSM enabled since I bought this hardware, until now I could not buy another graphic.

When I disable CSM the board emits beeps and the starting diode is put in white and I discovered that it was the graphic, that is the reason that it happens to GTX 1080.

the graphic change is because the GTX 970 does not support UEFI and I have CSM enabled since I bought this hardware

AFAIK, all GTX 700 series and later do include UEFI support. I even have an MSI GTX 650 card that was able to be flash updated to include UEFI support, where it did not support UEFI originally, at the time of purchase. A free Windows program "GPU-Z" can indicate whether the GTX 970 card does or does not include UEFI support.
If there is a difference between a video card's UEFI support under Windows vs. under macOS, then I'm unaware of such as that.
So: disabling CSM should be a viable option when using a GTX 970 card.

Last edited:
I don't believe you that you obtained your i9-7900X Geekbench and Cincebench scores by running the i9-7900X @3.3GHz, as you state above.

Please verify...

This is totally at odd with benchmark results of other users running the i9-7900X @4.3GHz...

I9-7900X @4.3Ghz
Cinebench 2316
Geekbench 4 39500

I am wondering if I should replace that weird HP mainboard with some thing..... better?
As the cube only has place for mATX I am not so sure which one. I was looking on the MSI X299M Gaming Pro Carbon AC
and the ASRock X299M Extreme4.
Only for the MSI I could find in the Manual that the MSR 0xE2 can be unlocked. The ASRock manual is very quiet in that point.
Before I buy stupid a few questions:

Hi, As far as my research there is no option for MSI with TB 3.
Asrock has TB 3 with many models. I order Asrock X299 TAICHI XE @ Newegg for my build.
If you use i9 Skylake X 7940 or higher definitly go for any XE version with TB 3.

Thanks
Mcity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back