Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my case the patching went fine and my system once more fully behaves as expected. So far at least ;).. after running tests for few hours..
Please upload the patched 1301 bios file if you don't mind :)

This is a purely cosmetic issue I don’t worry much about. More important for now would be to run your USB 3.1 Gen 2 devices. However, your contributions in fixing the internal drive issue are also welcome.

I am fully covered with testing/implementing sleep/wake and TB hot plug functionality.

It's more than a cosmetic issue. I have an app (DCP Transfer) that does a complete process of the following:

1. Unmount drive
2. Format drive/create new volume as ext2
3. Copy files to new ext2 volume
4. Verify copy

What happens is when it creates the new volume, the volume gets mounted as read-only. Also, the program won't copy to an external drive mounted as internal, period. I don't know why. I even tried formatting first, and just telling the app to perform only the copy. The copy immediately fails. Move the external drive to ports on HS06 where it mounts as external and everything works as it should.

It's more than a cosmetic issue. I have an app (DCP Transfer) that does a complete process of the following:

1. Unmount drive
4. Verify copy

What happens is when it creates the new volume, the volume gets mounted as read-only. Also, the program won't copy to an external drive mounted as internal, period. I don't know why. I even tried formatting first, and just telling the app to perform only the copy. The copy immediately fails. Move the external drive to ports on HS06 where it mounts as external and everything works as it should.

Well I don't have any experience with that App. For a normal user, the drive once mounted internally must be unmounted within the finder instead from the desktop. That's purely cosmetic in my opinion. Everything else behaves as expected.

As I say, I don not have time to worry about such things at present. If it is of major importance for you, you will unfortunately have to find your own solution, which shall be also of benefit for all others. :thumbup:

Please upload the patched 1301 bios file if you don't mind :)

Here you go.. attached below...

No random wake for hours... but .. when I now woke the system with the keyboard, I was left with a black screen but functional mouse cursor and two notification windows. System appeared to be extremely slow and laggy, as you mentioned before.

I now enabled the MSR lock in BIOS. The patching and additional manual MSR unlock in the BIOS might collide or interfere with each other.

Likely we will have to downgrade to 1201 or 1102, let's see about the further results of my testing with patched BIOS 1301.

Attachments

• X299D.CAP.zip
    9 MB · Views: 63
Thats exactly whats been happening to me every time I wake up the build, it is extremely laggy and slow.

EDIT:
I have tried with the patched 1201 Bios and the computer does not boot MacOS.
The only versions I can get booting are 1301 and 1102.
- The patched 1301 is extremely laggy after sleep
- So far with 1102 there is no more lag on wake.

The 1102 patched bios seems promising, no issues with wake during sleep.. yet.. have to test overnight
I have connected WiFi card and bluetooth again, TB card is connected but has no SSDT just yet.
I have jumped straight to enabling both "Wake for network access" and "Power Nap", so far no issues.

Last edited:
My friends,

this time I would need your help.

Since the last macOS and 1301 BIOS updates, my OSXWIFI suddenly causes random wake from sleep. Wake reason: ARPT.
I tried to fix the issue within the SSDT (PWR). No way.

As soon I remove the OSXWIFI, system sleep/wake performs marvellous.

I also tried to define the internal USB2.0 port, to which the OSXWIFI is connected, as internal (255), as recommended in several threads. However, no improvement at all..

@apfelnico, @nmano and others.. any thoughts or ideas how to fix the issue?

Attached my current SSDT without the TB part.

Cheers,

KGP

@kgp are u using the aml file? it seemed in the guide that that method was obsolete.

I am running almost everything same as urs could u post your EFI folder so i can just compare make sure i got everything?

Thats exactly whats been happening to me every time I wake up the build, it is extremely laggy and slow.

EDIT:
I have tried with the patched 1201 Bios and the computer does not boot MacOS.
The only versions I can get booting are 1301 and 1102.
- The patched 1301 is extremely laggy after sleep
- So far with 1102 there is no more lag on wake.

The 1102 patched bios seems promising, no issues with wake during sleep.. yet.. have to test overnight
I have connected WiFi card and bluetooth again, TB card is connected but has no SSDT just yet.
I have jumped straight to enabling both "Wake for network access" and "Power Nap", so far no issues.

Patched 1301 with MSR lock in BIOS settings enabled also works flawless for now ;)

@kgp are u using the aml file? it seemed in the guide that that method was obsolete.

I am running almost everything same as urs could u post your EFI folder so i can just compare make sure i got everything?

Why the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml should be obsolete? What is obsolete is the xcpm ssdt.aml of Pike.

Sorry, defenitely the worst time for sharing an EFI-Folder... Intensive tests ongoing!

1. Unmount drive
4. Verify copy

Just checked all front panel and back side USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports with a Scan Disk USB 3.0 16 GB Flash Drive. The drive is exclusively mounted as external when using my XHC USB kext on all ports!

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
@flmmkr,

I just released that all over the years I forgot to implement one internal USB3.1 Gen 1 (2x USB3.0) connector of the Asus Prime X299 Deluxe (the middle-right hand-side one close to Slot-1) in my XHC USB Kext.

Please find a modified version of my XHC USB Kext attached below. This kext also has been just newly attached to the originating post of this thread and also to my XHC USB Kext creation thread linked above.

Enjoy and have fun,

KGP

Attachments

• KGP-iMacPro-XHCI.kext.zip
    2.8 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back