Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a few posts before, @DSM2 was so kind to provide his EFI-Folder especially adopted for the DESIGNARE EX! I am sure this will also solve your issues..

that did the trick!? thank you so much.. I was starting to believe getting the designare was a mistake :)

For reference, his post can be found there, took me a good 30 minutes to find, can't believe how quickly this thread grows
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...d-extended-guide.229353/page-536#post-1692128

I wonder what made it special so that yours didn't boot, but this one did.

Side question about upgrading to the 10.13.4 beta. I have an HP z27q 5K screen, which under 10.13.3 runs at only 1/4th of its resolution (2560x1440). But under the 10.13.4 beta 1 or 2 (haven't tried beta 3), the screen stays black.

My fix for it was to take out the original USB installer and re-install 10.13.3 which takes a good 30 minutes.

Have you played with the apfs snapshots feature? do you know if taking a snapshot before the upgrade (which the OS does automatically) and restoring it afterward works?

Thanks

This is utterly awesome... The Apple TB Display is fully recognised (ethernet port, TB port, audio card and facetime camera). This is something I never achieved with the Asus Prime and the TB3 EX card....
So no need to bother with the internal audio...
Hardware video decoding works too, which is already better than what I got with the real Mac Pro 2013 (for whatever reason Apple never enabled HW decoding there)

My TB Promise R4 RAID is also seen, and I can finally look at my files. Though, the promise utility is unable to view the RAID (not that it matters much)

Changing the contrast of the Apple TB Display however makes the screen disappear and I must reboot to make it work again.
This is starting to look promising.

If only I good get my 5K screen work at its real resolution.

Something disappointing with this gigabyte board however, the 950 Pro works at less than half its speed compare to the Asus X299 Prime (only getting about 700MB/s vs 1400MB/s normally)

Edit: enjoyed too quickly, after a reboot, neither the promise nor the TB Display ports are seen now :(
Edit2: I had upgraded clover from 4392 to 4411, following the downgrade, the screen is seen again (and my raid array)
Edit3: Turned out to be something different. For the TB devices to be recognised, I must boot into windows and then back into macOS

Last edited by a moderator:
I just wanted to say a huge "thank you!!" to @kgp and everyone else helped with @kpg's guide!

I have my Prime Asus X299-A up and running very happily under the new iMacPro EFI. It required a little tweaking off the baseline (boy, do I wish I had spent the extra $100 on the Prime Deluxe!) but it's purring like a kitten now.

I did discover that the Startech PEX1394B card that I bought causes it to wake up immediately after it goes to sleep. Removing the card solved the problem. I've got a different model card on order so we'll see if I get to have BOTH firewire and sleep... :)

Thank you again! You folks are AMAZING!

I just wanted to say a huge "thank you!!" to @kgp and everyone else helped with @kpg's guide!

I have my Prime Asus X299-A up and running very happily under the new iMacPro EFI. It required a little tweaking off the baseline (boy, do I wish I had spent the extra $100 on the Prime Deluxe!) but it's purring like a kitten now.

I did discover that the Startech PEX1394B card that I bought causes it to wake up immediately after it goes to sleep. Removing the card solved the problem. I've got a different model card on order so we'll see if I get to have BOTH firewire and sleep... :)

Thank you again! You folks are AMAZING!

Nice to get once a purely positive feedback without any added request!

Appreciated, man :thumbup:

Guide update to 10.13.3 SA (17D2102) completed

New EFI Folder implemented in and attached to the originating post of this thread (guide) and once more attached here below.

EFI-Folder related changes:
  • Implementation of Clover Boot Loader distribution Clover_v2.4k_r4411
  • Implementation of CPU "PluginType" injection in config.plist by checking "PluginType" in Section "ACPI" of Clover Configurator
Guide related modifications:

Minor updates/modifications to account for 10.13.3 SA (17D2102) and 10.13.4 Public Beta 3 (17E160e) implementations.

Enjoy and have fun,

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X299-10.13.3-Release-iMacPro1,1-200218.zip
    19.2 MB · Views: 90
This is utterly awesome... The Apple TB Display is fully recognised (ethernet port, TB port, audio card and facetime camera). This is something I never achieved with the Asus Prime and the TB3 EX card....
So no need to bother with the internal audio...
Hardware video decoding works too, which is already better than what I got with the real Mac Pro 2013 (for whatever reason Apple never enabled HW decoding there)

My TB Promise R4 RAID is also seen, and I can finally look at my files. Though, the promise utility is unable to view the RAID (not that it matters much)

Changing the contrast of the Apple TB Display however makes the screen disappear and I must reboot to make it work again.
This is starting to look promising.

If only I good get my 5K screen work at its real resolution.

Something disappointing with this gigabyte board however, the 950 Pro works at less than half its speed compare to the Asus X299 Prime (only getting about 700MB/s vs 1400MB/s normally)

Edit: enjoyed too quickly, after a reboot, neither the promise nor the TB Display ports are seen now :(
Edit2: I had upgraded clover from 4392 to 4411, following the downgrade, the screen is seen again (and my raid array)
Edit3: Turned out to be something different. For the TB devices to be recognised, I must boot into windows and then back into macOS

Curious: How do you know Hardware Video decoding is working? With igpu you can enable quicksync and see activity in Intel Power Gadget, but with Skylake-X and no iGPU, what is 'doing the work'?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 20.36.33.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 20.36.33.png
    336.4 KB · Views: 171
another laggy driver for the maxwell cards, 106 is still the best choice
is there any way to get "iMac Pro" in "About This Mac"?

With SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and 17D2102, "iMac Pro (2017)" is a MUST and DEFAULT in "About This Mac"

Guess you neither use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 nor special iMac Pro build 17D2102...

No idea what your are doing.. ever read my guide lately?

10.13.3-SA-17D2102.png

BTW... at least with Pascal, Web Driver xxx.159 works just flawless ;)

Last edited:
Curious: How do you know Hardware Video decoding is working? With igpu you can enable quicksync and see activity in Intel Power Gadget, but with Skylake-X and no iGPU, what is 'doing the work'?

I work for Mozilla and wrote the Firefox mac media player. There are built-in tools in Firefox to tell if a video is decoded in hardware or not... The first thing I did was check if it supported HW decoding.
Without it, I couldn't have kept that box

With SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 and 17D2102, "iMac Pro (2017)" is a MUST and DEFAULT in "About This Mac"

Guess you neither use SMBIOS iMacPro1,1 nor special iMac Pro build 17D2102...

No idea what your are doing.. ever read my guide lately?

View attachment 314841

BTW... at least with Pascal, Web Driver xxx.159 works just flawless ;)

hey man thanks, serial number was the problem. back in the day when your guide was iMac17,1:) I used the old serial number, when I did the conversion to iMacPro1,1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 21.05.35.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 21.05.35.png
    334 KB · Views: 144
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back