Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the fast reply.
I have the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS selected. Seems that I can only boot with The Web driver Off.. when I try to boot with the Web driver I get a black screen at the end.. Does it matter that I am using A triple monitor Set up? I always have and never was an issue before.

I had this all working but wanted to do it right since I had a few days off work. So I followed your Guide (which by the way WOW dude was awesome!) and Got it all working except for this Video Issue

Yes it might matter that you use a triple monitor system. Depends on the GPU in use. If the firmware of your GPU is not fully UEFI compatible, you might need to do what I do not recommend at all: enable CMS in BIOS.

Cheers and good luck,

KGP

Yes it might matter that you use a triple monitor system. Depends on the GPU in use. If the firmware of your GPU is not fully UEFI compatible, you might need to do what I do not recommend at all: enable CMS in BIOS.

Cheers and good luck,

KGP

its a GTX 1080

its worked before. It was working with iMac 17,1 SMBIOS

Its worked before.. Just seems like its only working with the Default driver.. When I pick Nvidia it reboots.. but stays black after booting up...

Hello kgp,

I have a z370 Gigabyte Mobo with ASM3142 USB 3.1 as your configuration, I did not manage to get full speed for this port. I only have 5 Gb/s for any connected USB 3.1 HDD. Where the same HDD is showing 10 Gb/s in a Macbook Pro.
Is there any think top do to get it at full speed ?

Many thanks for your help !

Hello kgp,

I have a z370 Gigabyte Mobo with ASM3142 USB 3.1 as your configuration, I did not manage to get full speed for this port. I only have 5 Gb/s for any connected USB 3.1 HDD. Where the same HDD is showing 10 Gb/s in a Macbook Pro.
Is there any think top do to get it at full speed ?

Many thanks for your help !

Did you benchmark your USB3.1 ports and those of a real iMac Pro? What are the real USB3.1 transfer rates you can achieve in real life?

I don't expect them to exceed 120 MB/s.. Please report back with valid benchmarks for real life comparison..

All X299 USB2.0, USB3.0 and USB3.1 Type-A and Type-C boards are natively implemented by OSX within 10.13.3. I would not see any reason to change this native USB implementation. If the theoretical USB3.1 transfer rates in section PCI of Apple's system report deviate form the theoretical transfer USB3.1 indicated for a real iMac Pro, I would not further worry. This can be of purely cosmetic nature.

What counts are are hard facts and real benchmarks, which you can do at any time if possible.

Thanks in advance,

KGP

Last edited:
I am using the 157 drivers. Could trying an older driver help?

Seems that when I try to use the Nvidia fix kext it hangs with lilu

Did you benchmark your USB3.1 ports and those of a real iMac Pro? What are the real USB3.1 transfer rates you can achieve in real life?

I don't expect them to exceed 120 MB/s.. Please report back with valid benchmarks for real life comparison..

All X299 USB2.0, USB3.0 and USB3.1 Type-A and Type-C boards are natively implemented by OSX within 10.13.3. I would not see any reason to change this native USB implementation. If the theoretical USB3.1 transfer rates in section PCI of Apple's system report deviate form the theoretical transfer USB3.1 indicated for a real iMac Pro, I would not further worry. This can be of purely cosmetic nature.

What counts are are hard facts and real benchmarks, which you can do at any time if possible.

Thanks in advance,

KGP

Thanks KGP,

I did not yet make a benchmark. But I can see from USB section of Apple's system report that the drive is limited to 5 Gb/sec. The hard drive is connected to an USC-C 3.1 port. You can see in the included screenshot.

I'm using rehabman usbinjectall.kext btw.

So I was just wondering if you can see the same limitation from your side.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 12.05.21.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 12.05.21.png
    184.2 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 12.18.44.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 12.18.44.png
    226.4 KB · Views: 138
BTW, its weired, I dont see any device in the PCI section ... !

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 12.19.51.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 12.19.51.png
    85.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 12.20.47.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 12.20.47.png
    267.4 KB · Views: 149
Thanks KGP,

I did not yet make a benchmark. But I can see from USB section of Apple's system report that the drive is limited to 5 Gb/sec. The hard drive is connected to an USC-C 3.1 port. You can see in the included screenshot.

I'm using rehabman usbinjectall.kext btw.

So I was just wondering if you can see the same limitation from your side.

Who told you to use rehabman's usbinjectall.kext with X299?

1.) usbinjectall.kext won't apply to anything else than XHC USB2.0 and USB 3.0. It does not apply at all for the else native USB3.1 Implementation.

2.) On X299, usbinjectall.kext is totally obsolete. Just remove it..

3.) Don't rely on the transfer rate information depicted under PCI in Apple's system report! It can be of purely cosmetic nature.

4.) Try to compare real life USB3.1 transfer rates benchmarked on your systems with the benchmarks obtained on a real iMac Pro and report back.

o.k.?

All the best,

KGP

Last edited:
BTW, its weired, I dont see any device in the PCI section ... !

Because you apparently do not use the SSDT-X299-iMacPro.aml! Anyway, what ever.. my statements also apply to whatever else is depicted in Apple's System Report..

Do you understand?

Please perform USB3.1 benchmarks on both your system and a real iMac Pro and compare the latter.

Then we'll see..

First feedback from ASUS US.. ;)

Code:
Hello Klaus,

Thank you for contacting ASUS product support. 

My name is Olga O. and I am happy to be your new point 
of contact for this case.

I appreciate your patience and understand that this may be frustrating. 
I assure you that it is important to us that your issue gets resolved 
and we will continue to work diligently to do so.

Thank you for the recommendations that you have shared. 
We will make this as a reference to provide better service 
experience in the near future.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance. 
Thank you for choosing ASUS. Your case number is:N180203863.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back