Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 308508
Same results after flashing with your bios... I don't know. 0x402
some old legend says... :p

"...if MSR 0xE2 isn't locked you shouldn't be able to boot without "xcpm_core_scope_msrs © Pike R. Alpha" Clover KernelToPatch assuming you've already made sure to disable it..."

Did you read this and disabled it..? and tried to boot without thit patch..? ;)

Last edited:
Heya kgp,

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. Im currently on a 5960 and this helped me get to 10.3.2 with a NVME.
I'm really wanting to increase my cores to 16 but all my research leads me to believe that I may want to sit this entire generation out. In my application, DDR5 is probably going to give me more performance increase than extra cores and was curious if anyone had a good guess on when DDR5 mobos will hit the market and will the i9 even be compatible with the form factor?

What troubles me is that my 5960 @ 4.4 geekbench is around 33,000 and this seems comparable to what the 1950x puts out, which confuses me a bit as it has 2x the cores.

Attached is a picture of the box truck in which I've been living for the last 6 years traveling the US, playing piano for people on sidewalks/farmers markets. It's like a food truck for music but I also do some intensive 16 track live looping at 32 sample buffer size which is why I need the CPU power. Ambient temps in the truck can reach 90 degrees in the summer, even when living at 10,000ft in the Colorado Rockies. Also being limited to 2000watts for my entire box truck & speaker system, the concept of using or OCing the 7980 seems fairly difficult, needing a custom plate and probably 2x 360mm radiators to handle ambient temps in the 90's.

TLDR;
Any insight on when you think DDR5 will hit mobo's and if the i9 will be compatible? Also any thoughts/consideration on going the AMD route?

Thakns
Hi @dankium

Great idea with that truck! :thumbup:
I would like to see truck like this one in France or sometimes in Poland... but maybe our law too restricted ...
it's like PlayMeImYours which was great but I was never so lucky to find it somewhere...
I think after few years your are black :D I mean after few years and 90 degrees = like barbecue sausage :lol: :p

Personally I can't recommend waiting for DDR5 - it will be nice but not a miracle and in my opinion it will not help you a lot
than 7980 and for example X299 Deluxe MB.
If you take 64 or 128Gb of DDR4 3600Mhz it will be certainly enough
and btw... DDR5 will not give you more power than extra 6 or 8 cores :)

It's your choice if you want better stability and functionality with (for example) config like KGP
or cheaper AMD for $$ economy and worst performance etc.. etc...
If you want to use that new beast for few good years, I recommend to go on first page and look on Perfect-MacPro,
you have all details about amazing build worth his price. :thumbup:

I'm also missing these 3 files do you have a copy of them @NWSnowBum, assuming they are not too large?

InstallAssistantAuto.pkm
RecoveryHDMetaDmg.pkm
InstallESDDmg.pkm

Thanks
Here you are.

Attachments

• RecoveryHDMetaDmg.pkm.zip
    440 bytes · Views: 95
  • InstallESDDmg.pkm.zip
    430 bytes · Views: 71
  • InstallAssistantAuto.pkm.zip
    841 bytes · Views: 94
Hello @kgp , quick update! Thanks for the tip regarding learning Unix. I did some studying and re did the steps in the updated guide. Now OSX 10.13.2 installed on a clean hdd. I'm one of the persons who experienced the problem where audio hosts wouldn't ramp up CPU frequency. Now I tested Logic and the CPU frequency is increasing during load as intended, and goes back down when it's no longer required :thumbup: My thanks goes to you and all the other hard working and very helpful people involved. I'm eagerly following along the thread. Have a great evening!

Reactions: kgp
Nightshift is working great. F1/F2 display brightness only works with Apple keyboard but does not work with e.g. Logitech K810/811. To which small app with the Clover Patch to replace F1 and F2 for non Apple keyboards are you referring to?

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...-5-testing-updated.205564/page-5#post-1453641

Up and successfully running 10.13.4 Public Beta 1 (17E139j)...

View attachment 308443

Unfortunately, within 10.13.4 Public Beta 1 (17E139j), Apple again injects AppleUSBXHCIPCI driver with IOPCIClassMatchID 0x0c033000 instead of 0xa2af8086 to XHCI@14000000, at least in case of the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe....

Thus, again no XHCI USB3.0 on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe without my KGP-iMacPro-XHCI.kext within 10.13.4 Public Beta 1 (17E139j).

The good news are that within 10.13.4 Public Beta 1 (17E139j), the XHC USB port limit patch becomes obsolete as Apple apparently removed the XHC USB port limit restriction. Thus, this KextToPatch entry can be fully disabled in Section "Kernel and Kext Patches" of Clover Configurator when using 10.13.4 Public Beta 1 (17E139j). Many thanks for the important advise of @PMheart!

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

KGP

Thanks for the findings :)

For the USB, we can inject an other id in the future...

****.... Public beta 1 means, it will take long for the final release of 10.13.4
There was Beta 6, so i thinked, the next release will be final 10.13.4 xD
But yes... we need to wait :)

Im still working on 2 things, the edid clover patch for 38uc99 and voodootsc,
we can patch the kernel for the timestamp counter, but its not working as it should,
however i will report if i get further :)

Cheers :)

Reactions: kgp
@kgp

I think I found a fix for your section D, specially D.5.

The reference for 10.13.3 with iMacPro1,1 is now:
16/14/091-62779/frfttxz116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/
instead of
49/07/091-33271/a0p216ukywyxia77i36ujq0bq91ghcyyaf

So if you replace the URL for the curl commands accordingly, you should be able to build a new installer with 10.13.3.

In particular, I was able to change from
iMac18,3 with 10.13.3
to
iMacPro1,1 with 10.13.3
by following your guide in section D.5, but using the URL
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...txz116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/BaseSystem.dmg

Hey @Ramalama, @AnaktuvGod, any success leaving the system up and running for a couple of days? What's your maximum uptime?

@kgp

I think I found a fix for your section D, specially D.5.

The reference for 10.13.3 with iMacPro1,1 is now:
16/14/091-62779/frfttxz116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/
instead of
49/07/091-33271/a0p216ukywyxia77i36ujq0bq91ghcyyaf

So if you replace the URL for the curl commands accordingly, you should be able to build a new installer with 10.13.3.

In particular, I was able to change from
iMac18,3 with 10.13.3
to
iMacPro1,1 with 10.13.3
by following your guide in section D.5, but using the URL
http://swcdn.apple.com/content/down...txz116hdm02ajg89z3cubtiv64r39s/BaseSystem.dmg

this is right - but it looks like the new 091-62779.English.dist file is more restrictive on what boardIDs it will run the program to create "Install macOS High Sierra.app" on, i.e. only iMacPros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back