Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey @kgp, is there a way to get the Sata ports hot swap?

Kencar has the Apex, not the Extreme. So the boards aren't identical, but should be fairly close. I'd have to check the config to see how closee, it's an overclocking focused board and the Extreme is more of a general purpose board.

It looks like the issue was the VoodooTSCSync.kext, I couldn't get it to boot without that in the 10.12 kexts folder.
You might want to move the mention of it to the step where you are setting up the USB boot drive.

I'm in the High Sierra installation and things are proceeding.

Hey @kgp, is there a way to get the Sata ports hot swap?

Yes I remember to have seen some hot-swap/ hot-plug SATA approach on InsanelyMac. Can you have a look there and report back with details if you can achieve a working SATA hot-swap approach?

Thanks in advance,

KGP

Last edited:
Kencar has the Apex, not the Extreme. So the boards aren't identical, but should be fairly close. I'd have to check the config to see how closee, it's an overclocking focused board and the Extreme is more of a general purpose board.

It looks like the issue was the VoodooTSCSync.kext, I couldn't get it to boot without that in the 10.12 kexts folder.
You might want to move the mention of it to the step where you are setting up the USB boot drive.

I'm in the High Sierra installation and things are proceeding.

I actually mention the necessity of the VoodooTSCSync.kext at least three times in my guide (error prevention, clean install and update of macOS)... ;)

I don't know what else would be missing.. ;)

It just needs a careful study of my guide to know that this file is absolutely mandatory...

By the way... I guess you wanted to say that VoodooTSCSync.kext is absolutely required in the /EFI/Clover/kexts/Other folder. Note that this is not my Skylake-X/X299 macOS Sierra 10.12 Desktop Guide thread, thus your reference to the 10.12 kexts folder is somewhat misleading....

Happy that hear that you are already in the High Sierra Installation and that things are proceeding... :thumbup:

Cheers,

KGP

Last edited:
O.K. I found the following modifications on the config.plist edited with Clover Configurator:

a.) "ACPI"-Section:
i.) Drop OEM_DSM now checked (which I originally also checked but later on removed as it was apparently not required)
ii) Drop tables (which I originally also implemented but later on removed as they were apparently not required)
iii.) Smart UPS checked (which I originally also checked but later on removed as it was apparently not required)

All are settings, which I previously applied on my Broadwell-E/X99 rig and subsequently also removed there....​

b.) "CPU" Section:
i.) Check of C2, C4, C6 (apparently not required in case of the I7-7800X on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe)
c.) "Devices Section"
i.) Most of the Fake ID entries changed to 0x0 (i never tried this option, this could be indeed a valid modification)
ii.) USB Inject checked with horizontal line (in don't use any USB injection)​

These are apparently all modifications implemented in my currently distributed EFI-Folder.

As I helped you quite a lot, I would also like to ask your for some small favor! ;)

Please still try to figure out, which modifications a) to c.) are really mandatory to successfully boot the USB Drive Installer on your system. Try to reduce the modifications a.) to c.) if possible by trial and error, and please report back with the final EFI-Folder and a list of remaining modifications.

Will you do me this favor :?: It is really crucial for the generalization of my EFi-folder to exactly know, which steps out of a.) to c.) I might be really missing...

I can't do this test by myself, as my distributed EFI-Folder works on my System without all modifications summarized above.

So your help and contribution is really crucial! :wave:

I think it is evident to backup your now fully functional EFI-folder before doing this test as a favor.. ;)

Many thanks in advance! :thumbup:

KPG

Hey KGP, so here is the result,

The section a) ACPI is the crucial steps, needed to be there... Without it, I ran into the dead-end message right away

Section b) and c) don't matter, I uncheck them and it still booted to the installation screen with both of my graphic cards, 980Ti and the Radeon RX560, so I guess the a) is the only thing needs to modify from your config.plist to adapt from core i7-7800X (6 cores) to core i9-7900X (10 cores) (of course with the modify of VoodooTSCSync.kext for 10 cores).. Ask me why, I have no idea, lol, but if you find the reasons, please let me know...

I will attach those 2 files, thanks again for your huge help.. I plan to use the Radeon card instead of Nvidia, what is the good card, 8Gb DDR5 should be good enough. (The RX560 is little too week for some of my programs, only 2Gb :) )

Attachments

• config.plist
    7.5 KB · Views: 228
  • VoodooTSCSync.kext.zip
    14 KB · Views: 65

The section a) ACPI is the crucial steps, needed to be there... Without it, I ran into the dead-end message right away

Section b) and c) don't matter, I uncheck them and it still booted to the installation screen with both of my graphic cards, 980Ti and the Radeon RX560, so I guess the a) is the only thing needs to modify from your config.plist to adapt from core i7-7800X (6 cores) to core i9-7900X (10 cores) (of course with the modify of VoodooTSCSync.kext for 10 cores).. Ask me why, I have no idea, lol, but if you find the reasons, please let me know...

I will attach those 2 files, thanks again for your huge help.. I plan to use the Radeon card instead of Nvidia, what is the good card, 8Gb DDR5 should be good enough. (The RX560 is little too week for some of my programs, only 2Gb :) )

I would like to further narrow down the really required variables....

Could you please check if you can skip the drop tables (or some of them) or Smart UPS in addition? I guess the crucial check on your system might be Drop OEM_DSM, although it is not recommended to use it.

Of course you could also try to uncheck Drop OEM_DSM and investigate if you need the Drop tables (or some of them) or Smart UPS. But I would start the other way round....

https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI

Why do you want to change to a Radeon Card now after the quite surprising and somewhat unexpected sudden release of the Nvidia Web Driver?

I just ordered another Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Extreme Edition 11GB for my Skylake-X/X299 rig.

Last edited:
I would like to further narrow down the really required variables....

Could you please check if you can skip the drop tables (or some of them) or Smart UPS in addition? I guess the crucial check on your system might be Drop OEM_DSM, although it is not recommended to use it.

Of course you could also try to uncheck Drop OEM_DSM and investigate if you need the Drop tables (or some of them) or Smart UPS. But I would start the other way round....

https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI

Why do you want to change to a Radeon Card now after the quite surprising and somewhat unexpected sudden release of the Nvidia Web Driver?

I just ordered another Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Extreme Edition 11GB for my Skylake-X/X299 rig.

The drop tables are required, missing any of them would make the rig got stuck the boot error..
No need Drop_OEM or Smart UPS to be selected, :)

Wait!!!!! Can you try to delete SSDT_SLEEP.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/Patched and boot by skipping everything in a.) ? ;)

The drop tables are required, missing any of them would make the rig got stuck the boot error..
No need Drop_OEM or Smart UPS to be selected, :)

We are getting closer! :headbang:

Have you seen my reply above?

Can you try to delete SSDT_SLEEP.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and boot again by now also skipping the drop tables ;) ?

If the drop tables are still needed, can you please check which one of the drop tables is really required? :)

We are getting closer! :headbang:

Have you seen my reply above?

Can you try to delete SSDT_SLEEP.aml in EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched and boot again by now also skipping the drop tables ;) ?

If the drop tables are still needed, can you please check which one of the drop tables is really required? :)

I deleted the SSDT_SLEEP.aml, boot fine, but any of the drop tables would make the boot stuck, has to has three of them there..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back