Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I deleted the SSDT_SLEEP.aml, boot fine, but any of the drop tables would make the boot stuck, has to has three of them there..

O.k., many thanks for all tests... :thumbup:

I will include the drop tables then in the next release of me EFI Folder! ;)

Now we know exactly what prevented your boot and that most of your modifications have been unnecessary as expected.

You use the actual BIOS version 0802, right?

O.k., many thanks for all tests... :thumbup:

I will include the drop tables then in the next release of me EFI Folder! ;)

Now we know exactly what prevented your boot and that most of your modifications have been unnecessary as expected.

You use the actual BIOS version 0802, right?

Yup, 0802

New EFI-Folder Release for my Skylake-X/X299 macOS High Sierra 10.13 Desktop Guide

Minor EFI-Folder modification:
  • DMAR, Cpu0lst and CpuPm "Drop Tables" entries added to the config.plist in the "ACPI"-Section of the Clover Configurator
New EFI-Folder attached at the end of the originating post/guide and below

Many thanks to @IgnitePro for the appreciated feedback, kind collaboration and extensive testing!

Have fun and enjoy :thumbup:

kgp.png

Attachments

• EFI-X299-10.13-Final-Release-011017.zip
    35.9 MB · Views: 153
I would like to further narrow down the really required variables....

Could you please check if you can skip the drop tables (or some of them) or Smart UPS in addition? I guess the crucial check on your system might be Drop OEM_DSM, although it is not recommended to use it.

Of course you could also try to uncheck Drop OEM_DSM and investigate if you need the Drop tables (or some of them) or Smart UPS. But I would start the other way round....

https://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/ACPI

Why do you want to change to a Radeon Card now after the quite surprising and somewhat unexpected sudden release of the Nvidia Web Driver?

I just ordered another Gigabyte AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Extreme Edition 11GB for my Skylake-X/X299 rig.

I need to run 4 monitors and I always having troubles with Nvidia with 3 screens (you can see my signature builds, huge fan of Nvidia, lol) .. So I would go with Radeon this time to see if it will fix my problem.
If you could think of any Radeon 8Gb (or 4Gb) by just "plug and play" with our MB and the EFI setup. I just want a simple way, not much of modifications no more, lol... I will digging in the OC part now, and I need to run a lot CPU burn tests to make sure the system stable, :)
Here is my Geekbench score I got without OC, :)

IMG_6462.jpg

Hi everyone,

I have a 7900x/x299 Prime Deluxe/RX580

I did my clean install on an HFS+ formatted drive. So my system disk is HFS+.

Here's my question:

Can I format a separate NVME as APFS and clone my HFS+ formatted system disk on it to have an APFS-based system (obviously moving my EFI folder onto the clone, etc.)?

I could also just try it to see if it works - but I'm so worried about breaking things. Please let me know if this is a feasible approach.

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I have a 7900x/x299 Prime Deluxe/RX580

I did my clean install on an HFS+ formatted drive. So my system disk is HFS+.

Here's my question:

Can I format a separate NVME as APFS and clone my HFS+ formatted system disk on it to have an APFS-based system (obviously moving my EFI folder onto the clone, etc.)?

I could also just try it to see if it works - but I'm so worried about breaking things. Please let me know if this is a feasible approach.

Thank you!

Why don't you do it the other way round by using the following approach:

1.) Prepare a Backup Drive which you format with HFS+ [(Mac OS Extended (Journaled)] and a GUID partition table by means of
Apple's Disk Utility. This will create an empty HFS+ Partition and a yet empty EFI-partition on your Backup Drive.​

2.) Clone your HFS+ System Disk to the HFS+ Backup Drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

3.) Copy the EFI-Folder on your HFS+ System Drive to the yet empty EFI Partition on your HFS+ Backup Drive. Now you should
have a valid and bootable HFS+ Backup Drive of your HFS+ System Disk.​

4.) Verify that your HFS+ Backup Drive boots and works properly.

5.) If everything works fine convert the former HFS+ System Disk to APFS by using the following approach:

a.) To know the exact path of your HFS+ System Disk you want to convert to APFS (<disk>), run the the following terminal
command:​

Code:
diskutil list
b.) To convert <disk> into APFS run the following terminal command:

Code:
diskutil apfs convert <disk>

c.) Before booting your APFS System Disk, verify that you have the proper apfs.efi in /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/.​

I guess that's all!
Cheers,

KGP

I need to run 4 monitors and I always having troubles with Nvidia with 3 screens (you can see my signature builds, huge fan of Nvidia, lol) .. So I would go with Radeon this time to see if it will fix my problem.
If you could think of any Radeon 8Gb (or 4Gb) by just "plug and play" with our MB and the EFI setup. I just want a simple way, not much of modifications no more, lol... I will digging in the OC part now, and I need to run a lot CPU burn tests to make sure the system stable, :)
Here is my Geekbench score I got without OC, :)

View attachment 282250

Well you might have to go with a Radeon RX580 8GB, Radeon Vega 64 or Radeon Vega Frontier in this case .... If any of these graphics cards are currently able to handle 4 monitors, I don't know. I just repeatedly read that the native implementation of the respective ATI cards is still somewhat buggy and rudimentary. I can just confirm that the RX560 (and supposedly also the RX580) works fine with Whatevergreen.kext and Lilu.kext. However, I never used more than 1 monitor ;)...

Thus, just be very careful with your choice :!:

Why don't you do it the other way round by using the following approach:

1.) Prepare a Backup Drive which you format with HFS+ [(Mac OS Extended (Journaled)] and a GUID partition table by means of
Apple's Disk Utility. This will create an empty HFS+ Partition and a yet empty EFI-partition on your Backup Drive.​

2.) Clone your HFS+ System Disk to the HFS+ Backup Drive with Carbon Copy Cloner.

3.) Copy the EFI-Folder on your HFS+ System Drive to the yet empty EFI Partition on your HFS+ Backup Drive. Now you should
have a valid and bootable HFS+ Backup Drive of your HFS+ System Disk.​

4.) Verify that your HFS+ Backup Drive boots and works properly.

5.) If everything works fine convert the former HFS+ System Disk to APFS by using the following approach:

a.) To know the exact path of your HFS+ System Disk you want to convert to APFS (<disk>), run the the following terminal
command:
Code:
diskutil list
b.) To convert <disk> into APFS run the following terminal command:

Code:
diskutil apfs convert <disk>

c.) Before booting your APFS System Disk, verify that you have the proper apfs.efi in /EFI/Clover/drivers64UEFI/.​

I guess that's all!
Cheers,

KGP

Thanks for this guide. Although I did find out that I had to boot from the USB installer and do this in the install environment. It won't let you do this from the OS.

Also, I'm experiencing restarts after a few minutes on sleep. Any ideas? Should I just not let my machine sleep I guess?

Thanks for this guide. Although I did find out that I had to boot from the USB installer and do this in the install environment. It won't let you do this from the OS.

Also, I'm experiencing restarts after a few minutes on sleep. Any ideas? Should I just not let my machine sleep I guess?

Yup, sleep/wake has not been verified yet. I suppose it won't work yet.. Thus, please disable all sleep related settings in "System Preferences" under "Energy Saver"!

Below you find my Energy Saver Settings:

Energy-Saver.png

Last edited:
Yup, sleep/wake has not been verified yet. I suppose it won't work yet.. Thus, please disable all sleep related settings in "System Preferences" under "Energy Saver"!

Below you find my Energy Saver Settings:

View attachment 282345
For me putting into sleep works. If your system comes back on when putting it into sleep, you have to disable, that bluetooth devices can wake the system. I've tested sleep mode overnight and for shorter periods, wakes up without problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back