Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I remember to have seen some hot-swap/ hot-plug SATA approach on InsanelyMac. Can you have a look there and report back with details if you can achieve a working SATA hot-swap approach?

Thanks in advance,

KGP
hey man, I've searched the forum and didn't find anything useful for my noobmind:). Back in the day with my legacy x58 I've used 3rd party sata kext and hot plugging worked flawlessly, unfortunately doesn't work now:(

Heres what I've found: rmpagedev hot lpugging sata ports (won't let me post the link, for whatever reason)

Is this applicable to us?

Hey KGP,

So I gave up on the Asus x299 TUF Mark 1. I found a deal on a Prime Deluxe and I figured it was a nice upgrade anyways. So now My Rig is as follows.

MB: Asus X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU: Intel I7-7800X
Sata Storage: Samsung 850 EVO - Temporary System disk
M.2 Storage: Samsung 960 Pro - Planning to migrate System disk to this drive.
Graphics: PowerColor RX580 8gb (red devil)
Memory: 16gb g.skill DDR2400

I no longer have the run time errors nearly as bad as the TUF board did. 1/50 reboots were successful boots from USB on the TUF board, on the Prime Deluxe 5/6 reboots are successful!

Now I am going through the guide with essentially the same config you had in your original post, but still having some issues. Right now I am stuck kernel panic'ing on the first boot of the system disk attempting to install.

Here are the steps I have followed.
  • Configured BIOS exactly as you have in your guide.
  • Downloaded the latest EFI version you have provided.
  • Formatted a USB drive and my SSD (850 EVO) as HFS+ journaled
  • Ran the createinstallmedia script to copy the installer to the USB drive.
  • Mounted the EFI partitions of both drives in Clover Configurator.
  • Copied your EFI folder to both drives.
  • Removed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from the USB drive.
  • Downloaded the latest VoodooTSCSync.kext and copied it to both the "/EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.12/" and "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other" directories on both drives as you have in your guide.
  • Booted to the USB drive and selected install
  • In the MacOS installer I select the SSD drive (850 EVO) to install to.
  • Install completes and the system reboots
  • Boot to the USB drive again but select "Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD"
  • Boot process starts but then quickly kernel panics. System reboots to quickly for me to parse anything useful.

Any ideas why I might be getting stuck at the Boot macOS Install part? I figured by essentially mimicking your config with exception of the graphics card it should of been a pretty smooth install but I am finding it to still be problematic.

For me putting into sleep works. If your system comes back on when putting it into sleep, you have to disable, that bluetooth devices can wake the system. I've tested sleep mode overnight and for shorter periods, wakes up without problems

Can you please explain to everybody how to exactly disable bluetooth devices waking the system?

Many thanks in advance!

KGP

Hey KGP,

So I gave up on the Asus x299 TUF Mark 1. I found a deal on a Prime Deluxe and I figured it was a nice upgrade anyways. So now My Rig is as follows.

MB: Asus X299 Prime Deluxe
CPU: Intel I7-7800X
Sata Storage: Samsung 850 EVO - Temporary System disk
M.2 Storage: Samsung 960 Pro - Planning to migrate System disk to this drive.
Graphics: PowerColor RX580 8gb (red devil)
Memory: 16gb g.skill DDR2400

I no longer have the run time errors nearly as bad as the TUF board did. 1/50 reboots were successful boots from USB on the TUF board, on the Prime Deluxe 5/6 reboots are successful!

Now I am going through the guide with essentially the same config you had in your original post, but still having some issues. Right now I am stuck kernel panic'ing on the first boot of the system disk attempting to install.

Here are the steps I have followed.
  • Configured BIOS exactly as you have in your guide.
  • Downloaded the latest EFI version you have provided.
  • Formatted a USB drive and my SSD (850 EVO) as HFS+ journaled
  • Ran the createinstallmedia script to copy the installer to the USB drive.
  • Mounted the EFI partitions of both drives in Clover Configurator.
  • Copied your EFI folder to both drives.
  • Removed EmuVariableUefi-64.efi from the USB drive.
  • Downloaded the latest VoodooTSCSync.kext and copied it to both the "/EFI/CLOVER/Kexts/10.12/" and "/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other" directories on both drives as you have in your guide.
  • Booted to the USB drive and selected install
  • In the MacOS installer I select the SSD drive (850 EVO) to install to.
  • Install completes and the system reboots
  • Boot to the USB drive again but select "Boot macOS Install from Macintosh HD"
  • Boot process starts but then quickly kernel panics. System reboots to quickly for me to parse anything useful.

Any ideas why I might be getting stuck at the Boot macOS Install part? I figured by essentially mimicking your config with exception of the graphics card it should of been a pretty smooth install but I am finding it to still be problematic.

Unfortunately, it is impossible to give you conrete advices in case of such non-concrete issue. You have to find the bug preventing a successfull macOS installation. If everything is done properly, the maOS installation will perform flawless. This has not only been verified and confirmed by myself but also by others.

I see no other way then rechecking again and again all steps you performed so far.

Cheers,

KGP

Can you please explain to everybody how to exactly disable bluetooth devices waking the system?

Many thanks in advance!

KGP
No problem,

Just Go To System Preferences... -> Bluetooth -> Advanced -> (Uncheck) Allow Bluetooth device to wake this computer

Screenshot attached!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 21.21.02.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 21.21.02.png
    100.1 KB · Views: 86
Reactions: kgp
No problem,

Just Go To System Preferences... -> Bluetooth -> Advanced -> (Uncheck) Allow Bluetooth device to wake this computer

Screenshot attached!

This approach does not work in my case. Still immediate wake on sleep... however the system afterwards is fully functional.... thus, in principle sleep/wake seems to work without further issues... maybe it is the internal USB2.0 hub connected to the only available internal USB2.0 connector, which I am sing in addition, that might cause the immediate wake on sleep.. I don't know... Let's see about the feedback of other users...

Cheers,

KGP

Unfortunately, it is impossible to give you conrete advices in case of such non-concrete issue. You have to find the bug preventing a successfull macOS installation. If everything is done properly, the maOS installation will perform flawless. This has not only been verified and confirmed by myself but also by others.

I see no other way then rechecking again and again all steps you performed so far.

Cheers,

KGP
Can you confirm the voodootscsync.kext needs to be in in both the kexts/10.12/ folder and kexts/Other/ folder?

Can you confirm the voodootscsync.kext needs to be in in both the kexts/10.12/ folder and kexts/Other/ folder?

No! You should not have anything in the /kexts/10.12/ directory under macOS 10.13! If my guide states this erroneously at some place, it is just a typo! However, you should have it in the /kexts/Other directories of USB Flash Drive Installer and 10.13 System Disk!

No! You should not have anything in the /kexts/10.12/ directory under macOS 10.13! If my guide states this erroneously at some place, it is just a typo! However, you should have it in the /kexts/Other directories of USB Flash Drive Installer and 10.13 System Disk!
Ok I’ll update it, could that cuase the boot issue?

Ok I’ll update it, could that cuase the boot issue?

If you do not have the voodooTSCSync.kext in both /kexts/Other directories (USB Flash drive installer and 10.13 system disk), YES!

If you have anything in the /kexts/10.12 directories, NO! It will just be ignored under 10.13!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back