Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kgp, do you get random reboots with your 7980XE config?

I've changed the settings for AVX like the ones you suggest, but I'm still getting random resets (not kernel panics just pure CPU resets, and nothing shown in logs either). Yesterday it happened while the CPU was idle (no workload) but my graphics card was processing stuff. I'm having a hard time to believe the issue is due to AVX configuration. I have left VCID on auto, and I'm now going to set the VCID voltage to a fixed value. I believe the issue could be when the CPU changes states (so not AVX related).

To further clarify my thoughts: From what I understand, AVX are instructions that induce a heavy load on CPUs and pulls a lot of power. If after testing that AVX are stable under Windows with heavy load, then I don't see why they wouldn't be on MacOS... So the issue is in my opinion not the AVX settings but rather the Voltage poorly handled when on MacOS (i.e. when switching states) or something else... What do you think?

EDIT: It seems like I might have found out what the issue is. Turn out VoodooHDA is very buggy. I had a crash when playing musics from iTunes (not in logs) and Crashes in Valley.app when using audio (present in logs). I'm gonna try to switch for another audio solution.

Last edited:
Something is wrong though:

"./voltageshift write 771 0x072c07" or "./voltageshift write 771 0x2c2c07" just freezes my system.

Without any FakeCPUID (formerly 0x0506E4) my Idle frequencies and max.load frequencies look like this:

View attachment 304969
@kgp
Your perfectly flat idle frequencies I believe are what were causing so many people the lag issues (including logic issues that were discussed at length). If you boot your system in Windows you will never see idle frequencies being flat like yours used to show. As @interferenc has mentioned, this is what the idle frequencies should look like and do look like in Windows on our machines.

Implementation of new Guide-Section B.1) - "ASUS BIOS Patching" completed

EZ-Flashback.png

bit15.png

Enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

kgp.png

@kgp, do you get random reboots with your 7980XE config?

I've changed the settings for AVX like the ones you suggest, but I'm still getting random resets (not kernel panics just pure CPU resets, and nothing shown in logs either). Yesterday it happened while the CPU was idle (no workload) but my graphics card was processing stuff. I'm having a hard time to believe the issue is due to AVX configuration. I have left VCID on auto, and I'm now going to set the VCID voltage to a fixed value. I believe the issue could be when the CPU changes states (so not AVX related).

To further clarify my thoughts: From what I understand, AVX are instructions that induce a heavy load on CPUs and pulls a lot of power. If after testing that AVX are stable under Windows with heavy load, then I don't see why they wouldn't be on MacOS... So the issue is in my opinion not the AVX settings but rather the Voltage poorly handled when on MacOS (i.e. when switching states) or something else... What do you think?

EDIT: It seems like I might have found out what the issue is. Turn out VoodooHDA is very buggy. I had a crash when playing musics from iTunes (not in logs) and Crashes in Valley.app when using audio (present in logs). I'm gonna try to switch for another audio solution.

1.) No random reboots at all
2.) The AVX configuration is deemed necessary
3.) Implement AppleALC method for audio!

So, all is working now (even onboard Audio). THX for the tutorial. But I found some strange things I can not explain...

Sleep/Wake is working fine. (When I wake after 20 seconds of sleep for test). Today System was almost 5 hours in sleep. All ok. But after I pushed a button for wake the system starts with Bios and new boot. What can cause that wake is broken after many hours of sleep?

THX

So, all is working now (even onboard Audio). THX for the tutorial. But I found some strange things I can not explain...

Sleep/Wake is working fine. (When I wake after 20 seconds of sleep for test). Today System was almost 5 hours in sleep. All ok. But after I pushed a button for wake the system starts with Bios and new boot. What can cause that wake is broken after many hours of sleep?

THX

Honestly sleep/wake is the less important thing on my todo list at present..

Just be patient until everything is implemented that I have in mind..

Still much work ahead...

Honestly sleep/wake is the less important thing on my todo list at present..

Just be patient until everything is implemented that I have in mind..

Still much work ahead...

Yeah, your are right, thats just the cherry on top of the cake. :)
Can you provide me your MSR unlocked Bios file for the Prime X299 Deluxe. Would be nice. This is not specific, so it must work with all Prime X299 Deluxe.

By the way, I did test Gigabytes X299 Designare EX. I did not even test Mac OS X. Bad hardwarelayout, less USB ports. Only the VRM section is really impressive. But thats not worth 520€. For all here who wants to use a 5K Monitor with Thunderbolt. (LG UltraFine 5k). You need the AsRock Thunderbolt 3 Card to get 5K working. With the one from Asus (and many others) only 4k is possible.

Last edited:
Yeah, your are right, thats just the cherry on top of the cake. :)
Can you provide me your MSR unlocked Bios file for the Prime X299 Deluxe. Would be nice. This is not specific, so it must work with all Prime X299 Deluxe.

By the way, I did test Gigabytes X299 Designare EX. I did not even test Mac OS X. Bad hardwarelayout, less USB ports. Only the VRM section is really impressive. But thats not worth 520€. For all here who wants to use a 5K Monitor with Thunderbolt. (LG UltraFine 5k). You need the AsRock Thunderbolt 3 Card to get 5K working. With the one from Asus (and many others) only 4k is possible.

Here you go.. patched bios 1004 for the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe by considering all 3 patches provided by @interferenc.

But one should really first try to patch the BIOS with the single patch of CodeRush (Pike Alpha and Adrian_dsl), provided by Fabiosun, and once more attached below! I am still not convinced that the 2 additional patches provided by @interferenc are deemed necessary. Moreover, I do not know about their exact function and meaning. @DSM2 already successfully applied the single patch of Code Rush on the ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe and Fabiosun on the ASUS X299 Prime-A. I would like that others follow and confirm their results!

I still don't see the necessity of 3 patches if the one of Code Rush suffices...

Attachments

• X299D.CAP.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 73
  • patches.txt.zip
    1.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back