Contribute
Register

How to build your own iMac Pro [Successful Build/Extended Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious if anyone that has experienced thermal throttling on their m.2 drive has installed the 40mm fan and fan mount and what if any affect has been?

Great news which I can confirm - on 10.13.3 beta 2
I can boot my system without FakeCPUID :headbang::headbang::headbang:

and everything works great :D

Today and tomorrow if I find magic way to stop time
I will try the rest (iMac Pro SMBIOS etc with new clover PCI implementations etc etc) :)
I am running 12.13.2 without any FakeCPUID.
However since our MSR 0xE2 is locked I still have to use the "xcpm_core_scope_msrs (MSR 0XE2)" KernelToPatch.

Apart from this I found the OS being a lot more responsive and 'smooth'. From what it seems MacOS 10.13.2 brings native support for our or at least my i9 7900X. I can imagine a motherboard without MSR 0XE2 locked wouldn't need any patches...

Hi kgp!! I'm wondering if you can give me an image of your installation disk? I have almost the same exact configuration as yours.

Intel i9 7900X
GTX 1080 Ti
MSI X299 Raider
some HDDs

I'm stuck on the error message "does printf work??" when booting into the installer, and I can't find anything on how to fix it. I tried slide=0 and it did not work.

Help!!!

Hi kgp!! I'm wondering if you can give me an image of your installation disk? I have almost the same exact configuration as yours.

Intel i9 7900X
GTX 1080 Ti
MSI X299 Raider
some HDDs

I'm stuck on the error message "does printf work??" when booting into the installer, and I can't find anything on how to fix it. I tried slide=0 and it did not work.

Help!!!

Your build is markedly different. You have a different MoBo manufacturer and a different processor. o_O I would guess @kgp will advise you to ask one of the forum posters here who have MSI as KGP has only hatred in his heart for non-ASUS boards... :p JK JK! Don't kill me KGP.

Intel i9 7900X
GTX 1080 Ti
MSI X299 Raider
some HDDs

Help!!!

Try the post #2827, page 283,

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ccessful-build-extended-guide.229353/page-283

I got the 10.13.2 running on the MSI board with his EFI,
Now remember to adopt your CPU (7900x 10 cores instead of 7820X, 8 cores),
Good luck! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Can anyone please guide me how to patch DSDT. A basic tutorial of how to use IO Registry Explorer and apply correct patches to your specific Mainboard ?

Hi,
I am currently trying to install High Sierra on an ASUS Prime X299 Deluxe mainboard with a 7820X installed.
Despite following the guide step by step and changing all the bios setttings accordingly, I keep getting this error while booting from my USB drive:

OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for \.IABootFiles\boot.efi
Using reloc block: yes, hibernate wake:no
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I used the exact same EFI folder provided in the guide but nothing changed. I also tried out OsxAptioFixDrv-64.efi, OsxAptioFix2Drv-64.efi and OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi and Test2-2016.efi but still observed no difference(exept for the plus signs sometimes not appearing in the error message). I tried older versions of Clover as well but none of them worked.
The EFI folder from my install drive is attached below.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    19.5 MB · Views: 96
This isn't really an error, until this point, this output is normal. Most OsxAptio problems manifest in a verbal error like "Cannot allocate memory".

No displayed error probably means boot.efi refuses to start kernel (for example using imac pro board id without manually enabling it), or a very early kernel panic that do not even get displayed.

I checked your efi and you are indeed trying to use imacpro, however, to boot the installer, you must manually enable imacpro boardid IN THE INSTALLER USB. It might be done, but I don't recommend it, try installing with iMac17,1, and switch to iMacPro once you got a bootable system and you can edit the supported boardids.

@interferenc I have a very similar issue. Just updated from previous working EFI folder to iMacPro1,1 and latest Clover from @kgp. Now I get to OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for \System\Library\Coreservices\Boot.efi

Then shuts off the machine.

How do I enable the iMacPro board? Or what would cause this to happen?

Not doing an install this is a completely installed and previously running machine (in fact I put my EFI back and this post is done on it).

Attachments

• config.plist
    12 KB · Views: 253
iMacPro smbios is also not good for update to 10.13.3 beta 3 - board-id is not included in the .dist file. I tried to force installation using pikeralpha scripts and adding the board-id manually, but upon reboot I had a lot of USB errors and USB speed was limited to USB2.
Reverted back to 10.13.2, think I'll wait for the official release...

As a follow up to my previous post:
i9 7920x with ASUS X299-A PRIME, air-cooled with a Noctua DH-14
- 4400 MHz stable @1.090 V
- 4600 MHz (almost) stable @1.150 V - Under constant heavy load CPU temperature reaches 90+ degrees, so it's not worth it
I do confirm the bad behaviour of the ASUS Mainboard, using AUTO settings Voltage is set to 1.218 V.

In the end I decided to stick @4400, 1.090V, I don't need to push it more for my Logic Pro sessions. Again, Logic works great with no fakeCPUID (on 10.13.2).

My R9 270x GPU issues remain a mystery, I've injected Hamachi FB and Displayport works only if I boot up with both HDMI and DP connected (to the same monitor), with some annoying flickering. By injecting the correct frame buffer (SSDT + WHATEVERGREEN) I keep getting a white screen. So I decided to switch to a cheap RX560.

@kgp: thank you again for your hard work, and thanks to anyone else contributing to this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back