Contribute
Register

How can I install TP-Link TL-WN881ND on Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus H97-Plus
CPU
i7-4790K
Graphics
GTX 1060
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi guys,
I installed my first hackintosh with Sierra Os X and my TP-Link TL-WN881ND doesn't work.
In my previous Win7 it works.

I searched in previous thread that talk about this wifi module but i doesn't found any answer.
Anyone can help me?

Sorry for my bad english.

I searched these forums for ages till I found a solution. But this kext file worked for me as all the other ones were out of date. Let me know if it worked. Install it with Kext Utility and reboot. If it doesn't work. Search google for AtherosWIFIInjector.kext and try installing that too.

Attachments

• IO80211Family.kext.zip
    5.7 MB · Views: 6,829
Hello guys, I have installed IO80211Family.kext.zip , and works fine.
but, I can only connect to 2,5 ghz connections (100mbps) .
I have a router with 2 bands (2,5 ghz at 90-100Mbps) (5 ghz at 300mbps)
why I can't connect to the 5 ghz?
how can I fix this?
thanks you!

Hello guys, I have installed IO80211Family.kext.zip , and works fine.
but, I can only connect to 2,5 ghz connections (100mbps) .
I have a router with 2 bands (2,5 ghz at 90-100Mbps) (5 ghz at 300mbps)
why I can't connect to the 5 ghz?
how can I fix this?
thanks you!

That's because your Wi-Fi adapter only works with 2G connections. I know this because I have the same problem. My Router has two bands, 2G and 5G but I can only connect to one. I can guarantee this because it's the same in Windows so it must be the adapter. Hope this helps!

My WN881ND was working great before the 10.12.5 update. Now it does not work anymore. I tried the
IO80211Family.kext but it seems still not working. Which is the folder for this kext installation ?

For TL-WN881ND (Atheros 9287), apply one of these patches. Clover's kext to patch method not described here.

Kext patch (Lost with any major update excluding security updates):
Copy IO80211Family.kext from S/L/E to desktop. Add the device id to info plist.
Path: IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Add (or edit) any one of the following strings to info.plist in the appropriate location, where similar strings are present.
<string>pci168c,2e</string> or
<string>pci168c,30a4</string>

Install the modified kext. Need to repeat for every update. Detailed description here.
Have a look #1

Clover DSDT patch - Upto El Capitan (10.11)
This injects fake id (pci168c,2a) for the wireless card, a vanilla approach. If using clover then it is very simple by using inbuilt clover patch. Open config plist using clover configurator. Under ACPI —> DSDT fixes —> AddDTGP & FixAirport. These two fixes will make WN881ND work with MacOS versions upto El capitan (10.11).
For 10.12+, use SSDT method (described below). If u are injecting DSDT, then u can add these patches manually to DSDT in the appropriate location, which will work similar to SSDT method (in all macOS versions).

SSDT method (Vanilla method - Recommended)
  • Upto High Sierra (10.13) => SSDT (attached below)
  • Mojave (10.14) => SSDT + AirportAtheros40.kext
  • Catalina (10.15) => SSDT + IO80211Family.kext (Internet sharing may be buggy)
I am using this method in Mojave with OpenCore bootloader in my Haswell build.

Note:
  • AirportAtheros40.kext & IO80211Family.kext (attached below) are vanilla kexts from High Sierra (10.13.6). Copy the required kext to Desktop & use KextBeast to install it in Library/Extensions.
  • Verify the paths (_SB_.PCI0, _SB_.PCI0.RP04.PXSX) in the attached SSDT by comparing with DSDT. Needs path edit before installation. For example, if the Atheros card is installed in RP06, Replace all RP04 with RP06 (two locations).

Attachments

• SSDT-ARPT.aml
    405 bytes · Views: 460
  • AirPortAtheros40.kext.zip
    654.1 KB · Views: 432
  • IO80211Family.kext.zip
    8.2 MB · Views: 534
Last edited:
It works perfect for my card TL-WN881ND. Just installed it with KextBeast to /System/Library/Extensions/.

Thanks a lot!

I searched these forums for ages till I found a solution. But this kext file worked for me as all the other ones were out of date. Let me know if it worked. Install it with Kext Utility and reboot. If it doesn't work. Search google for AtherosWIFIInjector.kext and try installing that too.

Worked for me! Thanks

Hi,

All of the solutions did not work for me.
"No hardware detected" on sierra 10.12.5 with TL-WN881ND firmware Atheros AR9287.

I inject kext at boot with unibeast. Any ideas?

EDIT: It works... I had to modify directly the kext in /S/L/E... It doesn't work when we insert it in the EFI of Clover

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back