Contribute
Register

How can I install TP-Link TL-WN881ND on Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, installing into /S/L/E works for me on Sierra. The Clover approach doesn't work (in fact, with FixAirport my system crashes on boot).

Hi,

i just bought WN881ND but what i got is V.2 which i believe is realtek
any guide to install this to make it work?

it works, thanks guys :headbang:

For TL-WN881ND (Atheros 9287), apply one of these patches. Clover's kext to patch method not described here.

Kext patch (Lost with any major update excluding security updates):
Copy IO80211Family.kext from S/L/E to desktop. Add the device id to info plist.
Path: IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AirPortAtheros40.kext/Contents/Info.plist
Add (or edit) any one of the following strings to info.plist in the appropriate location, where similar strings are present.
<string>pci168c,2e</string> or
<string>pci168c,30a4</string>

Install the modified kext. Need to repeat for every update. Detailed description here.
Have a look #1

Clover DSDT patch - Upto El Capitan (10.11)
This injects fake id (pci168c,2a) for the wireless card, a vanilla approach. If using clover then it is very simple by using inbuilt clover patch. Open config plist using clover configurator. Under ACPI —> DSDT fixes —> AddDTGP & FixAirport. These two fixes will make WN881ND work with MacOS versions upto El capitan (10.11).
For 10.12+, use SSDT method (described below). If u are injecting DSDT, then u can add these patches manually to DSDT in the appropriate location, which will work similar to SSDT method (in all macOS versions).

SSDT method (Vanilla method - Recommended)
  • Upto High Sierra (10.13) => SSDT (attached below)
  • Mojave (10.14) => SSDT + AirportAtheros40.kext
  • Catalina (10.15) => SSDT + IO80211Family.kext (Internet sharing may be buggy)
I am using this method in Mojave with OpenCore bootloader in my Haswell build.

Note:
  • AirportAtheros40.kext & IO80211Family.kext (attached below) are vanilla kexts from High Sierra (10.13.6). Copy the required kext to Desktop & use KextBeast to install it in Library/Extensions.
  • Verify the paths (_SB_.PCI0, _SB_.PCI0.RP04.PXSX) in the attached SSDT by comparing with DSDT. Needs path edit before installation. For example, if the Atheros card is installed in RP06, Replace all RP04 with RP06 (two locations).
Hey Dr.kkarun

I'm just curious about the path of (_SB_.PCI0, _SB_.PCI0.RP04.PXSX). How to find exactly path in DSDT.aml?

Thanks

@johnmanioc

Only the names (PCI0, RPxx, PXSX) can be verified with DSDT.

Exact ACPI path for wireless card can be found easily using IOJones or IORegistryExplorer. Once the path for the PCIe slot is determined, then u can use SSDT method with vanilla kexts.

Or find the path by trail and error. Verify the names & try SSDT with different names (RPxx). Try these with external USB. Finalise the one which is working.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 11.18.37 AM.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-02 at 11.18.37 AM.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
@johnmanioc

Exact ACPI path for wireless card can be found easily using IOJones or IORegistryExplorer. Once the path for the PCIe slot is determined, then u can use SSDT method with vanilla kexts.

Or find the path by trail and error. Verify the names & try SSDT with different names (RPxx). Try these with external USB. Finalise the one which is working.

Thank you very much!

@johnmanioc

Hi dr.kkarun, I've found the ACPI path for my TP-Link WN881ND V1 using Windows, and it was something like "_SB_.PCI0.PE1.SLT5"

However, after changing the path in the SSDT and adding it to my OpenCore EFI and config, it did not allow me to use Wi-Fi.

In my DSDT, I do not have any RPxx or PXSX paths. Is this normal?

@LuigiBros02
Which Version of macOS you have installed?
Upload ur DSDT and IOJones/IORegistryExplorer output from Mac OS.
Hi dr.kkarun,
I'm currently running macOS High Sierra build 17G66, I plan to install the latest version of it after I get my WiFi working.
ioregistry_screenshot.png

Attachments

• DSDT.aml
    16.9 KB · Views: 48
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back