Contribute
Register

High Sierra native support for 10Gb ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you sure the problem is with the network and not the ability of your NAS to support sustained read and writes above 130MB/sec? Do you get the same speed when both reading and writing from the NAS? The type of reading and writing can matter a lot as well.

If you're relatively certain the problem isn't on the NAS side, then you could try directly connecting the Hackintosh to the NAS to see if the speeds improve. That's how I have mine setup currently.

OK, hope someone here can help - any Networking gurus? Only getting 130MB/sec data transfer speeds on my new 10GB Network!!! :(

I bought the Akitio card mentioned on page 33 & have it in my Hack - works great with the drivers (at least I think so).
Bought the Edimax XGS-5008 10GB switch that mm2margaret has - also seems cool. I have an Intel X540-T2 running in the x16 PCIe slot of my Open Media Vault server. The Hack & OMV Server are connected to the switch via 7' cat7 cables. The Edimax switch is connected to my Motorola Cable Modem/router via a cat6e cable for internet access.

Don't see a lot of performance tuning options on the admin page of the switch, not even option for Jumbo Frames. According to Edimax site it does support 9k frames but I guess there's no option to adjust that.

So, I've tried transferring large movie files to from my Hack/OMV Server & all I can get is 130MB/sec steady. It starts out at 1GB/sec but then drops quickly down to 130MB/sec. Not sure what else I can try. Switch has the latest firmware. I've tried SMB & FTP but there's no difference. I also have my Hack & OMV Server set to 9k Jumbo Frames. The switch is on the same subnet as my cable modem/router. Also, the switch diagnostics page shows that both connections from my Hack & OMV Server are at 10GB.

Please help!

You need to make sure that jumbo frames on enabled on all of your clients. On the Mac side, that would be -> network -> advanced -> Hardware. What is the age of the driver on the Akitio? Open the driver package (via the cli, if you know how) - Star Tech also makes a card that uses that chip, and the last revision of its driver was very old. Hopefully, your driver is newer and fits newer version of macOS much better.

Remember, speed on a network is measured in MegaBITS not MegaBYTES. Don't get confused.
It sounds like one of your devices is running at 1Gb speed, not 10Gb speed. If one device is running at 1Gb, then all devices accessing that device will also communicate at 125MB speed....

Therefore, you should make sure that all devices are set to 10Gb speed with jumbo frames enabled. In the Edimax, you can see if they are connecting at 10Gb, and also the MTU. I am running Edimax firmware version 1.5B01. Make sure your firmware on your devices is up to day. MTU for 10Gb is typically 9000 mtu, but, WARNING, depending on the device and the manufacturer, that figure can vary.....make sure all your devices on your network are set to jumbo frames size as recommended by the manufacturer.

No one here can guarantee that you will get the same performance we might get. Hardware can change with revisions, and sometimes you might get a bad piece of hardware. Hopefully, you've kept your receipts so that you can return the switch, the adapter, or whatever, etc, until you get a more reasonable speed, if you need to.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did you get firmware 1.5B01? All I see is 1.5 on the Edimax site which is what is on my switch.

Contact Edimax support and ask them to see if they will provide it to you.

Are you sure the problem is with the network and not the ability of your NAS to support sustained read and writes above 130MB/sec? Do you get the same speed when both reading and writing from the NAS? The type of reading and writing can matter a lot as well.

If you're relatively certain the problem isn't on the NAS side, then you could try directly connecting the Hackintosh to the NAS to see if the speeds improve. That's how I have mine setup currently.
I'm using the Union Filesystem to run a linear array (JBOD). 4 of the drives are 4TB shucked external portable USB Seagate ST4000LM drives, the 5th drive is a 3TB WD Green drive. Not the fastest drives in the world, but I should be able to get 400-500MB/sec out of them on the 10GB network.

I'm using the Union Filesystem to run a linear array (JBOD). 4 of the drives are 4TB shucked external portable USB Seagate ST4000LM drives, the 5th drive is a 3TB WD Green drive. Not the fastest drives in the world, but I should be able to get 400-500MB/sec out of them on the 10GB network.

The only way you will get 400-500MB/sec from JBOD is if all the drives are SSDs.

DOH! :rolleyes: It's the drives!

More specifically, how I had the HDDs in my OMV server configured. I killed my JBOD array & put all 4 of the 4TB drives into a RAID 0 Array (don't worry, I have a backup HTPC/server). Transferring a 16GB movie file from my Hack (on my Samsung EVO 970 drive) to the 16TB RAID 0 array on my OMV Server = 500MB/sec. :headbang:

Not the speed I want, but still fastest speeds I've ever seen on my home network.

This is awesome (speed) and it sucks! (must buy more drives to have 8-drive array) since I'd like to get as close as possible to 1GB/sec data transfer rates.

Sucks to have these 1st world problems:mrgreen:

does the built-in Aquantia AQC-107 10G on the Asus' Rampage VI Extreme work? I can not seem to get it to work on Mojave

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to enable the 5GbE Aquantia?

Specifically model: Aquantia AQC111C 5G LAN

@izo1 and @jaraheel -

So, if you have read some of the previous posts, you might have noticed that without the fluke re-programming of the Aquantia cards that is caused by the upgrade from 10.13.2 to 10.13.3 of macOS, no one that has been able to get the Aquantia to work natively in macOS. There's also a patch that's required once that process has occurred, that is also required for the card to work on any version of macOS beyond 10.13.3. That patch is listed in this thread.

But, just to be sure, I'll open the discussion to anyone else: has anyone else been able to get an Aquantia to work on macOS without this 10.13.2 to 10.13.3 upgrade process? I haven't heard of anyone, but if anyone else knows of how to do this, please post.

I have posted many times that there are alternatives to the raw Aquantia card/chip, just in case either of you might be interested in other options. Just check some of my previous posts in this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back