Contribute
Register

High Sierra native support for 10Gb ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boom ! Brand new Synology NIC card with aquantia chip with 5 YEARS warranty !!:
https://www.synology.com/en-uk/products/E10G18-T1

I just received this Synology E10G18-T1 10Gbe card this morning. Very easy to install in an 1817+
It heats very much less than the ASUS XG C100C that I put in my hackintosh.
Despite the fact that it is the same chip (Aquantia) and an even smaller passive heatsink on the Synology card, it heats much less.
(the Netgear GS110EMX switch also heats up quite a bit...)
Under MacOS: between 250 and 400 MB/s in big copy files from/to the NAS knowing that the NAS is composed of 7 mechanical HDD in SHR1.
Under WIN10, it would seem that there is throttling perhaps due to the ASUS card heating up, but the numbers are +/- the same.
I don't dare too much to install this Synology card in my hackintosh, even for testing, for fear to see the firmware rewritten...

EDIT: No throttling involved here with the ASUS, I think it's because of the SSD that I copy from/to. On another one (Crucial) or a NVMe (Samsung), the copy speed is stable at 3-400 MB/s

Attachments

• CaptureCrucial.JPG
    CaptureCrucial.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I just received this Synology E10G18-T1 10Gbe card this morning. Very easy to install in an 1817+
It heats very much less than the ASUS XG C100C that I put in my hackintosh.
Despite the fact that it is the same chip (Aquantia) and an even smaller passive heatsink on the Synology card, it heats much less.

But here's a question for you, or for anyone else out there that might know the answer. Can this card be used in a Synology NAS?

But here's a question for you, or for anyone else out there that might know the answer. Can this card be used in a Synology NAS?

And, the answer is: Yes, according to Synology's Tech Support, almost all of Synology's NAS's support using this adapter.....!!

"....Greetings Meagan,

The E10G18-T1 can be used in Synology NAS devices. You can see the full list of supported Synology NAS models on the device's specifications page here, in the "Applied Models" section: https://www.synology.com/en-us/products/E10G18-T1#specs...."

And, of course, the next question is.....will it work on Xpenology Clone NAS system.....

Last edited:
The ASUS seems do the job since 10 days here.
Before to own it, I was affraid with the firmware update procedure with 10.13.3, but it is very transparent. Easy.

The strange thing is that speed perfs are very better in windows 10 than in macOS. Even with the unsigned flag = no for nsmb.conf and one or 2 tips, file transfers are slower in macOS.

Last edited:
I've been using the Gigabyte GC-AQC107. It worked after the macOS 10.13.3 flashing.

I bought the same card and it also "died" after some days... always shows "no cable connect"...
did you find an alternative or a solution?

No, I just returned it, and I'm using 10G adapters I already have (I really didn't need the Sonnet, and just bought it for testing for the most part).

But, this thread is loaded with cards that work with 10.13.4, including the Chelsio, the Intel X540-T1 (once it's flashed), the Synology E10G18-T1, the Sonnet, and some others....

Did you ever contact Sonnet and ask them what was wrong with the card? You could always say you were working on a Mac Pro 5,1 and it just stopped working.....

Last edited:
I'm at a loss with my ASRock X299 XE board that has the AQC107 chip. I managed to get it to work in 10.13.3 and Windows (forcefully installed the iMac Pro bootcamp drivers, before installing any other Aquantia driver). I just can't get it to work in 10.13.6 (latest). I tried both Mieze's patches (original and V3), but to no avail.

In verbose loading 10.13.3 I clearly see there is a firmware check, and it works. In verbose 10.13.6 this doesn't happen, and there is no Aquantia related information to be found anywhere (network settings, IOReg). I tried resetting the network settings a few times, but no luck there either.

Am I missing something? Can I help by uploading some files so people can check? Like I said, IOReg is empty, and the patches are copy/pasted from this thread (doublechecked 'm).

Thank you for the suggestions.
I ordered a Asus XG-C100C from Amazon because it was available, just to try it.
It does not get recognized and after reading all the threads I understood that I need to boot into 10.13.3 to flash the card and then apply the patches from Mieze.
However, I only have 10.13.4 as a fresh install and don't have a bootable 10.3.3 drive and can't find a download for 10.13.3 anywhere. So flashing the Asus is not really possible for me and I need a card that works with only 10.13.4.

I'll call Sonnet next week and see what they say. Also gonna send the card back, maybe it got fried and a new one will work.

Sonnet and the Synology are probably your best bets.....if you can find the Chelsio for $250 on e-bay and you can afford that, that's an option too....

How are you with Linux? If you can load Linux Ubuntu on a hard drive or dvd, the instructions for modding an Intel X540-T1 or T2 are pretty clear on this thread (Section E.8.2.2): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...c-pro-successful-build-extended-guide.229353/ or this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...nics-to-use-small-tree-macos-drivers.1968456/

Last edited:
I'm at a loss with my ASRock X299 XE board that has the AQC107 chip. I managed to get it to work in 10.13.3 and Windows (forcefully installed the iMac Pro bootcamp drivers, before installing any other Aquantia driver). I just can't get it to work in 10.13.6 (latest). I tried both Mieze's patches (original and V3), but to no avail.

In verbose loading 10.13.3 I clearly see there is a firmware check, and it works. In verbose 10.13.6 this doesn't happen, and there is no Aquantia related information to be found anywhere (network settings, IOReg). I tried resetting the network settings a few times, but no luck there either.

Am I missing something? Can I help by uploading some files so people can check? Like I said, IOReg is empty, and the patches are copy/pasted from this thread (doublechecked 'm).

You could post your config.plist (minus the SMBIOS stuff!).....and we could look at it, but I'm thinking that as it was working in 10.13.5 and now it's not working in 10.13.6, you maybe might have a bad chip on the motherboard? Does the chip/adapter work in Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back