Contribute
Register

High Sierra feels "sluggish", compared to Sierra. Does it happen to you as well?

Is HIGH SIERRA known to be slower than SIERRA, while running on the same hardware?

• YES

Votes: 26 89.7%
  • NO

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Benjamin,

Can you please give some more details of what you did? Where did you scale the resolution? In SwitchResx, or System Preferences? Was there another post you followed with more information on this solution?

Thanks!

I have the same sluggish response with High Sierra. Apps seem to take an age to open.
I don't think this happened when I first installed 10.13, so I suspect that the Spectre/Meltdown fixes have caused this. This is understandable because of what the fixes had to do, i.e. strangle the preemptive processing that the CPU does just in case that is the correct path off execution. Think about it this way...you are on a walk in the woods and you MAY have to go left or right at the next junction so you send your drone to go and look ahead. When you realise that you actually need to go left, say, then you teleport to where the drone got to and you gain that distance for free. With the Spectre/Meltdown fixes this 'free' stuff has to be dumped.
GeekBench 4 shows my single core performance was done 20%, but multicore seemed to be the same. Bizarre!
I will try the iMac 14.2 definition just in case. I used to use this one but reverted back to 13.1 due to another issue, that turned out to be something else.

Unfortunately I have the same problems. The system seems to wait half a second (or more) before doing things. Not on all operations, but for example if I click somewhere, the action takes a little bit until the button (or whatever) will be pressed... tabs are opening (closing) slower and scrolling through web pages hangs sometimes... I can't tell if this was the cave before the meltdown security patches. But at least, I can't remember and would guess the lag was not there.

Forget what I said: problem was the Nvidia Webdriver for 10.13.3. After installing the modified .106 version for 10.13.2 everything runs smooth again!

The downgrade was performed with a tool from a german forum. But there are others.... It simply modifies the compatiblity information of the driver. I had no problem so far...

Last edited:
Unfortunately I have the same problems. The system seems to wait half a second (or more) before doing things. Not on all operations, but for example if I click somewhere, the action takes a little bit until the button (or whatever) will be pressed... tabs are opening (closing) slower and scrolling through web pages hangs sometimes... I can't tell if this was the cave before the meltdown security patches. But at least, I can't remember and would guess the lag was not there.

Forget what I said: problem was the Nvidia Webdriver for 10.13.3. After installing the modified .106 version for 10.13.2 everything runs smooth again!

so you still running 10.13.3 just downgraded the WEBDRIVER?
if so, do you have a guide for it?

thanks bro!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back