Gigabyte X79-UP4
CPU
i7-3930
Graphics
WX4100
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Hi
Im booting 10.15.7 with open core and having intermittent thunderbolt boot issues. On this bootlog TB did not activate. Im not experienced in reading these logs as I know some things reported are of no consequence and others are. Its a long file as its the full bootlog - I was looking to print the verbose. I think there is a problem with core audio in there as well. Be grateful if someone with experience can shed some light and point me in the relevant direction and let me know what is important to fix. Ive removed my serial - thanks in advance

Attachments

• bootlog1.txt 2.zip
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
Have you created a USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml for your system?

Did you include the XHCx (usually XHC5 with Titan Ridge controller) in the USB configuration? As the bootlog says The Family specific matching fails. There are 135 entries in the bootlog for the XHC5 device, all of the ones I reviewed were related to a failure to match with the device.

Seems to say that for a lot of the devices in your system, both DSDT device names: EH01, GFX0, SSBRG, DSB0, DSB1, DSB2, DSB4, NHI0 etc. and when the device is identified by Vendor/Device ID ( Intel devices).

It might help if you provide a copy of your OC or CLOVER folder, so we can see exactly what you are using to boot your X79 system.

I assume you updated the Firmware on the Thunderbolt device in Windows, before you tried enabling the TB ports in macOS. As this seems to be a prerequisite for getting a TB device working in macOS.

Which guide (if any) did you use when installing macOS on your system?

Have you created a USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml for your system?

Did you include the XHCx (usually XHC5 with Titan Ridge controller) in the USB configuration? As the bootlog says The Family specific matching fails. There are 135 entries in the bootlog for the XHC5 device, all of the ones I reviewed were related to a failure to match with the device.

Seems to say that for a lot of the devices in your system, both DSDT device names: EH01, GFX0, SSBRG, DSB0, DSB1, DSB2, DSB4, NHI0 etc. and when the device is identified by Vendor/Device ID ( Intel devices).

It might help if you provide a copy of your OC or CLOVER folder, so we can see exactly what you are using to boot your X79 system.

I assume you updated the Firmware on the Thunderbolt device in Windows, before you tried enabling the TB ports in macOS. As this seems to be a prerequisite for getting a TB device working in macOS.

Which guide (if any) did you use when installing macOS on your system?
Hi @Edhawk thank you for your post, and thank you for taking the time to look.

To answer your questions

There is an SSDT-UIAC.ami file in ACPI folder. I am not using the USBPorts.kext but Im using Legacy_USB.kext,USBInjectAll, and USBXHCI_FL1009. Im not using the onboard USB controllers. The case USB3 ports are powered from a seperate USB3 PCI card. All usb ports are working.

I can post an IO reg? Ill boot my machine and post both OC and Clover shortly

The firmware (nv33 elias) was updated using the guides out there for non tb header boards OFXC guide and one other (primarily the Mac Pro 5.1 initially) I did this via a 3.3v device connected to one of the chips as directed _ I started with the NV32 and then updated - Ive even tried reflashing the original firmware to see if that made a difference. I dont run windows and have not seen a guide advising this for mac use except the boot into windows first then go to Mac Os. With multiple boots thunderbolt does boot so it can get past these objections, so I believe that if the objections are addressed it should be more consistent. I can see from my limited knowledge that there are multiple issues in the bootlog.

Ive been running mac os on this machine with a number of upgrades since 2012. I should add that Ive had assistance Ive paid for, to build these when Im doing major revisions. Someone was porting this for me to OC from Clover a couple of weeks ago but got ill whilst in the middle of it....I can edit SSDTS, OC and Clover but I haven't personally built an SSDT before. I have experimented in moving the TR card around as I have some slot options so I have looked at IO reg and adjusted the Tb SSDT accordingly.

Ultimately I need to upgrade my SMBIOS as I cant run the latest Logic Pro on my machine definition. I do wonder if that might cure some issues.

Attachments

• EFI OC.zip
    3.5 MB · Views: 43
  • EFI Clover.zip
    20.9 MB · Views: 55
  • IOREG 24Jan2021.ioreg
    6.4 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:
I just looked at the spec page for your X79-UP4 board and see why you are using the FL1009 kext, your MB's USB3 ports are using two Fresco Logic chips. The X79 board has 14 x USB2 ports, as they are quite old they are probably on a UHCx controller (or two).

Which SMBIOS are you currently using?

Mac Pro 6,1 or MP 7,1 and the iMac Pro 1,1 all work with Catalina.

Last edited:
While the USB ports work in your system, it sounds like an over complication of the USB configuration.

Which Mac Pro SMBIOS are you currently using?

Mac Pro 6,1 or MP 7,1 and the iMac Pro 1,1 all work with Catalina.
@Edhawk - currently on iMac Pro 1.1 - I think I will need MP7.1 at the end though. Ive posted all the files as requested by adding them to the original reply. it is possible that things have got overcomplicated. Ive let others guide me on this

Last edited:
Which EFI are you using as your main bootloader, Clover or OC?

Which do you want to use as your main bootloader, I assume OC?

Which version of OpenCore has been used to create the OC EFI folder?

From a quick look at the IOReg and the TB SSDT in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, I can see that the ACPI addresses are not matching.

The IOReg shows the ACPI address as this - IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/NPE1@10000/XGBE@0, which would be adjusted to (_SB.PCI0.NPE1.XGBE) for the SSDT.

The SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM1.aml has the device address as (_SB_.PCI0.RP05).

First point of call is to edit the TB SSDT to match the IOReg address. See if that helps.

Which EFI are you using as your main bootloader, Clover or OC?

Which do you want to use as your main bootloader, I assume OC?

Which version of OpenCore has been used to create the OC EFI folder?

From a quick look at the IOReg and the TB SSDT in the EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder, I can see that the ACPI addresses are not matching.

The IOReg shows the ACPI address as this - IOACPIPlane:/_SB/PCI0@0/NPE1@10000/XGBE@0, which would be adjusted to (_SB.PCI0.NPE1.XGBE) for the SSDT.

The SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM1.aml has the device address as (_SB_.PCI0.RP05).

First point of call is to edit the TB SSDT to match the IOReg address. See if that helps.
As I didnt create the OC Im not certain. Ultimately Ive been told its best to migrate to OC. Thats what was in the process of happening.

Until 10 days ago I was on Clover exclusively.

Ill adjust the ssdt now

@Edhawk - hi -I changed the address - booted clover and via OC -nothing changed - Ive enclosed it - hopefully I edited it right....would it be helpful to create another bootlog?
Ive noticed I keep removing the underscore after SB in the following line and saving but if I reopen it its back
External (_SB_.PCI0.NPE1.XGBE, DeviceObj) // (from opcode)

Attachments

• SSDT-TB3-HackinDROM1.aml
    1.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Remove SSDT-ACQU.aml from the ACPI or ACPI/patched folders and see what difference that makes.

@Edhawk - hi -I changed the address - booted clover and via OC -nothing changed - Ive enclosed it - hopefully I edited it right....
Remove SSDT-ACQU.aml from the ACPI or ACPI/patched folders and see what difference that makes.
Hi will do - that ssdt was originally to patch a 10gb ethernet pci card which has now been replaced with a thunderbolt 3 10g caldigit ethernet adapter. The caldigit doesnt show up without it which is odd as its Mac Os compliant. for now thats less important though so I will remove it and report - removed that ssdt - no change - im just booting clover right now

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back