Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Help me avoid NVDA Channel Exceptions Through Hardware

I have been the proud and happy owner of a Hackintosh for a year now. I followed the build instructions on this site exactly and purchased everything that was recommended here, and every time I have run into a problem, tonymacx86.com has come to the rescue... except for one issue.

My first graphics card was a Zotac GT 430. Once I edited my DSDT file properly, it worked like a charm and gave me great performance on everything including a little bit of gaming with Minecraft (the only game I play). My only problem was that rarely, the screen would freeze up while the sound continued to play in the background. I chalked it up to being an unstable hackintosh, so I thought nothing more of it.

This last Christmas, I received a Zotac GT 640 because of the better compatibility with it and Mountain Lion. I upgraded my motherboard to UEFI, installed the new video card, and installed Mountain Lion. After tweaking, it has run beautifully and Minecraft performance has improved significantly.

However, the random freezes came far more frequently, so frequently, in fact, that I discovered the Console App and began to investigate what was going on.

I began to see these entries in the log whenever the computer froze:

Code:
4/12/13 2:37:45.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0x1f = Fifo: MMU Error
4/12/13 2:37:45.000 PM kernel[0]: 00000069
4/12/13 2:37:45.000 PM kernel[0]: NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception! exception type = 0xd = GR: SW Notify Error
4/12/13 2:37:45.000 PM kernel[0]: 0000006e
4/12/13 2:37:45.000 PM kernel[0]: 00200000 00009197 00000000 00000000
4/12/13 2:37:45.000 PM kernel[0]: 00000000 0000135c 00000001 0000000c
4/12/13 2:37:45.000 PM kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000 00000000
4/12/13 2:37:45.000 PM kernel[0]: 00000000 00000000

For the past few months I have been trying to resolve this problem. I have done countless Google searches, and I have posted many times to the threads of others regarding their experience with NVIDIA Channel exceptions. However, to date, I have seen no definitive solution to this. It seems the threads always die out, but I have gleaned this information:

The channel exceptions also happen on Apple branded computers with NVIDIA graphics, but in those cases, people report that a warranty exchange of the logic board (eventually) solves their problem.

The channel exceptions have been happening on every version of OS X since 10.5 with anecdotal claims that upgrading the OS solved their problem.

The channel exceptions for some people arise when the computer changes the power state of the graphics card, and those people sometimes claim to solve their freezes by editing the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement.kext or removing it.

Some people claim to have solved their problem by running a graphically intensive app in the background. Some use the CUDA-Clock app, some play a video in VLC on infinite loop and minimized.

Finally, some people claim that their problems only occur when they run dual displays (I have a dual display setup).

None of those solutions have worked for me. I have also tried installing alternate drivers from NVIDIA's website, I have fully updated my system to the latest OS X 10.8.3, and I have even downgraded my system back to the GT 430 card (which has been far more stable than the 640, but still crashes now and then).

I'm writing this post for two reasons:

First, I want to collect all the best practices of resolving these channel exceptions into one thread.

Secondly, I want to begin identifying which hardware is most prone to these exceptions. Because I dual boot into Linux, I prefer to use NVIDIA graphics, but if these channel exceptions happen with every NVIDIA chipset, then I'll finally make the jump over to AMD graphics and put these troubles behind me.

Therefore, I ask you loyal forum friends, if you have seen any of these channel exception errors in your setup, what card do you use, do you run dual displays, and has anything resolved the problem for you?

If you have not seen any of these errors, what card do you use, do you run dual displays, and have you ever experienced random freezes?

Hi,

You can see build in my profile, I did not have this error until I tried to get Ivy Bridge Power Management working. I was using MacPro5,1 SMBIOS, switched to an Ivy Bridge SMBIOS (ie..MacBookPro10,1 iMac13,2) and the errors started happening. I switched back to MacPro5,1 and they stopped, tried Ivy Bridge SMBIOS's again, they reappeared. As of now, I'm using MacPro5,1 SMBIOS with no errors. (If you use MacPro4,1 or 5,1 delete AppleTyMCEDriver.kext from the Extensions folder first)

Help me Avoid NVDA Channel Exceptions through Hardware

Apparently, this isn't a very common problem or a very popular way of resolving the problem because very few people have entered this discussion. Nevertheless, I'm trying to do research into a permanent solution, and I am leaning heavily toward purchasing a Radeon card even going as far back as a 5770 just so I get something reliable.

Can anyone else chime in on this?

NVDA(OpenGL): Channel exception -- Identifying and Solving the Problem

This is now becoming my personal blog of my travails with NVIDIA cards in my Hackintosh. Today, I received from Newegg.com a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650. I ordered it because everyone else on this site seems to be having great success with their NVIDIA cards and the 650 seems to be more reliable than the 640 according to people's posts.

However, I still get freezes with NVDA Channel Exception errors. I can most reliably reproduce the errors by using the Unigine Heaven benchmark tool for Mac.

Here are my summary results so far:

GT 430 (Fermi), GraphicsEnabler=Yes, AGPM kext edited (many settings tried), default Apple 10.8.3 drivers, dual display, both on DVI-D ports.

Upon fresh boot, Heaven runs with no crashes. I get very low FPS on my full HD monitor, but it doesn't crash. After sleep/wake cycle, Heaven crashes after running for only a few seconds and the sytem log fills with channel exception errors.

GT 640 (Kepler), GraphicsEnabler=No, AGPM kext edited (many settings tried), default Apple 10.8.3 drivers, dual display, both on DVI-D ports.

Upon fresh boot, Heaven runs with no crashes. I get very low FPS on my full HD monitor, but it doesn't crash. After sleep/wake cycle, Heaven crashes after running for only a few seconds and the sytem log fills with channel exception errors.

GT 650 (Kepler), GraphicsEnabler=No, AGPM kext edited (many settings tried), default Apple 10.8.3 drivers, dual display, both on DVI-D ports.

this maybe of no use to you since nobody else has commented here goes.when doing gpu intensive stuff its best to boot with -v benchmaks don't lie.id suggest clover bootloader as it gets updated evey 3 to 4 days.runs in efi/bios .can do real retail install from install esd via efi or boot recovery.chameleon cannot do this. id try via flash drive for testing only needed kext is fakesmc in efi/clover/kexts 10.8.0 folder.sorry this old 40 yr old doesn't play games just handbrake crap.

I was just saying ive had 5 people try this method and works for them. not a fix for everybody but does make it possible to install via retail install esd and recovery which chameleon can not do.at least you tried something new.i hope you find a fix soon gl

@stehor Just to clarify, I'm not having any problems with installing or running OS X on NVIDIA hardware. The problem comes when the drivers crash and the system needs to be reset.

For everyone else out there, I've solved my problem by purchasing a used Radeon HD 4850. My system is smooth and stable now. I like NVIDIA better because of their better Linux support, but the random freeze/crashes were just too annoying for me.

lets see the 4850 scores. did my gt220 1gb today for a laugh or to see it crash.glad your issue is resolved.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-04-24 at 7.27.12 PM.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 124
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back