Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I successfully got Mavericks to install on my rig, which is an EX58-UD3R rev 1, with an x5650 xeon.

Anyways when my install was done I decided to plug in the drive that windows was installed on, and now the only way I can even get to anything that looks like a boot menu, is through the USB drive that i installed Unibeast on. So I tried repairing my Windows partition on the drive, didnt work, then tried reinstall windows with the Mavericks drive plugged in, that wouldnt work, so I tried to disk utility on the OSX install USB that has Unibeast, I tried formatting the drive that windows was on, and then booting into my install disk to reinstall windows. That didnt work, so I now just unplugged my OSX drive and am now reinstalling windows..

So if I replug my OSX drive will it even allow me to dual boot? or do I have to go through the entire process of reinstalling Mavericks and leaving my windows disk attached?

What do I do? Im currently finalizing my windows install and any pointers and tips would be great!

Thanks!

So I successfully got Mavericks to install on my rig, which is an EX58-UD3R rev 1, with an x5650 xeon.

Anyways when my install was done I decided to plug in the drive that windows was installed on, and now the only way I can even get to anything that looks like a boot menu, is through the USB drive that i installed Unibeast on. So I tried repairing my Windows partition on the drive, didnt work, then tried reinstall windows with the Mavericks drive plugged in, that wouldnt work, so I tried to disk utility on the OSX install USB that has Unibeast, I tried formatting the drive that windows was on, and then booting into my install disk to reinstall windows. That didnt work, so I now just unplugged my OSX drive and am now reinstalling windows..

So if I replug my OSX drive will it even allow me to dual boot? or do I have to go through the entire process of reinstalling Mavericks and leaving my windows disk attached?

What do I do? Im currently finalizing my windows install and any pointers and tips would be great!

Thanks!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Thanks for the reply!

Well I kinda followed the guide since I did each install separately, now when I select the Mavericks Drive first in the boot order nothing happens, the only way I can get something that lets me choose what to boot from is the USB stick that I installed from.

Im not really sure how to configure the last bit of the guide, the chimera boot menu thingy, sorry Im a noob :)

I see the menu when I boot from USB, so how do I get this to work without the USB stick?

Thanks for the reply!

Well I kinda followed the guide since I did each install separately, now when I select the Mavericks Drive first in the boot order nothing happens, the only way I can get something that lets me choose what to boot from is the USB stick that I installed from.

Im not really sure how to configure the last bit of the guide, the chimera boot menu thingy, sorry Im a noob :)

I see the menu when I boot from USB, so how do I get this to work without the USB stick?

It sounds to me like you don't have a bootloader installed.

And what you mean by "nothing happens?"

It sounds to me like you don't have a bootloader installed.

And what you mean by "nothing happens?"

When I have the drive that has mavericks installed first in the boot order as advised by the guide, what happens in the post screen where is a bunch of garbled and random characters appear. It wont even get to anything that looks like a boot manager.

Before my fresh install of windows, when I tried selecting the windows drive, it just said "boot mgr missing ctrl+alt+del to reset" Ill see what happens if i select that drive first in the boot order.

So how do I have the boot menu that appears when I have my OSX/unibeast usb drive as my boot device?

EDIT:
just tested my windows drive and booted from that one and it boots right up into windows, so theres nothing wrong with that drive, I just need something to manage what OS I boot into.

EDIT 2
I tested it with the windows drive unplugged, and the OSX on in, and the result was the jumbled characters again, then tried to boot from my install Unibeast USB drive, then selected my OSX drive from the boot menu there and it boots right up.

So is there a problem in the BIOS? or the install of OSX on my side? how do I install a boot manager?

When I have the drive that has mavericks installed first in the boot order as advised by the guide, what happens in the post screen where is a bunch of garbled and random characters appear. It wont even get to anything that looks like a boot manager.

Search for "boot0 gibberish"

Search for "boot0 gibberish"

I do have a 7850 in my rig if that helps give you more info....

im reading things like having to manually install a chimera in the efi partition?

can you clarify this for me?

I do have a 7850 in my rig if that helps give you more info....

im reading things like having to manually install a chimera in the efi partition?

Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back