1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi pastrychef, I have a similar setup as yours. Z390 M Gaming + 9900k + RX 580 4GB. I used your EFI to install macOS Monetery. Everything is working but the boot times are pretty slow. I have disabled boot picker, replaced the opencore files with the RELEASE version and disabled all logging. However, I am still getting very slow boot times.

During bootup, first I reach this screen:
View attachment 545075

and it gets stuck here for about 45 seconds doing nothing before proceeding. It takes over 60 seconds to boot into the OS, which is very slow because my previous BigSur installation took only 15-20 seconds. I tried enabling the -v flag in boot args, but weirdly the bootup procedure is failing with the -v flag.

Can you please help?

Are you using a Samsung NVMe SSD?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Yes. 970 Plus 1TB.

There's a known issue with Samsung NVMe SSD Trim that cause slow boots. As far as I know, there's no known fix other than to replace with a different brand of SSD.

Motherboard
H370N WiFi
CPU
i5 8400
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
There's a known issue with Samsung NVMe SSD Trim that cause slow boots. As far as I know, there's no known fix other than to replace with a different brand of SSD.
Thanks for diagnosing the issue correctly. I am amazed by your knowledge.

I have two other drives. Adata SX8200 Pro 512GB (NVMe) and Crucial Mx500 512GB (SATA SSD). Does any of these have similar boot problems as Samsung NVMe drives? Thanks.

Motherboard
H370N WiFi
CPU
i5 8400
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

In this link someone mentions that setting SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0 can solve the problem. Do you recommend going this round? Will this modification have adverse effects on the NVMe drive?

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
RX 6600 XT
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS

In this link someone mentions that setting SetApfsTrimTimeout to 0 can solve the problem. Do you recommend going this round? Will this modification have adverse effects on the NVMe drive?

My opinion is that disabling Trim is not a good idea. I would rather live with the slow boot than disable Trim.