Contribute
Register

[HELP] cannot fix wifi on macos 12

Motherboard
rt-5495 << need manufacturer name and model # >> See Forum Rules !!
CPU
i5-4200
Graphics
hd 4600
Hello guys i have an hp laptop and i installed macos 12 on it every thing works except wifi i tried everything like all the chris1111 drivers and opencore guides and nothing works any ADVICE or HELP.

internal wifi card: quadcom 802.11n.
dortanyas kext did not help.

external wifi card : mediatek MT7601. tried d-link fro chris1111 too
and 2 more i don't remember the names of .

Hello guys i have an hp laptop and i installed macos 12 on it every thing works except wifi i tried everything like all the chris1111 drivers and opencore guides and nothing works any ADVICE or HELP.

internal wifi card: quadcom 802.11n.
dortanyas kext did not help.

external wifi card : mediatek MT7601. tried d-link fro chris1111 too
and 2 more i don't remember the names of .

Hi there.

Firstly, please complete your hardware Profile with a bit more detail - such as the HP Laptop Model etc. "rt-5495" doesn't assist us. Your i5 CPU might be the mobile i5-4200U for example. These details will help others in future when they read your posts. :thumbup:

Okay,

1) Double-check which model of internal WiFi card you have. Is it Broadcom or Intel? If you have Windows installed, use that to check the exact model number. Dortania doesn't provide wireless chipset kexts but Acidanthera (OpenCore) and OpenIntelWireless do.

2) External WiFi cards by TP-Link - and a few others using the Realtek chipset - are supported by Chris1111's kexts.

We will be able to help more when we get updated information. :thumbup:

The best advice we can give you is to purchase a macOS compatible WiFi/BT card. That can contain either an Intel or Broadcom chipset.

No Mediatek WiFi cards work in macOS. There are no drivers, period.

Some older Qualcomm WiFi cards worked in older releases of macOS. But the majority of these lost support and will not work in the most recent releases, such as Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma. This is due to changes in macOS related to security, network and Bluetooth protocols.

Sonoma has dropped native support for most older Apple/Broadcom WiFi/BT cards, i.e. BCM4360.... cards, which have been natively supported since OS X Mountain Lion/Mavericks. A fix is hopefully in the pipelines.

Itlwm.kext and Airportitlwm.kext (Intel WiFi kexts) support a large number of Intel WiFi cards, not all but a lot of commonly used Intel cards. Here is a list of compatible Intel WiFi cards.

Given the age of your laptop (Haswell) I would bet the Bios contains a WiFi Whitelist, that will only allow specific WiFi/BT cards to work in your laptop. It is essential that you clarify if this is the case and which cards can be used to replace your current card. This will be stated in the Laptop's User Manual. There is no point you purchasing a new card if it won't work in your laptop, because the bios blocks the system from booting with the unlisted WiFi card installed.

Back