Contribute
Register

HDMI stops working during boot UHD630 (OPENCORE)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix H470-I Mini-ITX
CPU
i5 10600K
Graphics
intel 630
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 128K
  2. 512K
  3. Classic
  4. Color Classic
  5. iBook
  6. iMac
  7. Performa
  8. Power Mac
  9. PowerBook
  10. SE
  11. SE/30
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
TL;DR: PLEASE HELP! MY HDMI TURNS OFF DURING BOOT. I BELIEVE IT IS SOMETHING IN MY CONFIG

I installed Catalina 10.15.7 with Opencore, everything works great except that the HDMI connection craps out during boot up. I am using two monitors, one connected through DisplayPort and the other with HDMI. When booting, both monitors mirror each other, but shortly before showing the apple logo and progress bar the HDMI signal goes away and the monitor shows "NO HDMI SIGNAL" and the monitor goes to sleep.

Everything else works great. I have tried updating to the latest Opencore (0.6.3), have the latest Lilu and Whatevergreen. The only things that don't work are all but one of the USB ports and the HDMI. I know I have to map the USB ports, but the HDMI thing has bested me. I've been trying to figure this out for days.

I've search high and low to resolve this issue. All I can find is old info regarding 10.15.4 breaking HMDI, and that the latest Lilu and Whatevergreen has resolved the problem. From what I can tell, it seems like something is off with my config file. I can't make heads or tails of what Verbose is telling me, nor can I keep up with the scrolling text. I took a video of it to see exactly where the HDMI stops working, which I can post if it helps.

My specs are in my sig, running with UHD630 for now. Will probably get an AMD GPU in the near future. Unless I cant get this figured out, then I guess I'll be getting one sooner than later.

Also, I even updated the system to Big Sur today without any issues (thought what the hell, I didn't have anything to lose.)

Attached is my EFI folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Small update if anyone sees this: I mapped my USB ports and now HDMI no longer mirrors the DisplayPort. HDMI doesn't do anything anymore, nothing happens on startup. No signal at all.

I deleted USBPorts-All.kext and added my USBmap.kext. Nothing else has been changed.

EDIT: For fun, I added the boot arg: agdpmod=pikera to see what would happen. It actually brought back mirroring on the HDMI screen, BUT it still crapped out at the same point that it did before :(

Last edited:
Would love to see you get some feedback. Having the same kind of issue after I select the Catalina Installer to boot from. Then it loses the signal so I don't know if the installer is opening or not.

Would love to see you get some feedback. Having the same kind of issue after I select the Catalina Installer to boot from. Then it loses the signal so I don't know if the installer is opening or not.
Yeah seems like we're not gonna get any answers here.

I'm pretty sure we have different issues if yours turns off right after picking the installer though. Have you successfully gotten through the install process? Or are you stuck trying to boot from the USB Stick?

BTW: You need to fix the motherboard portion of your profile. it reads "rsk!u!a6kdPKZF2X". hope its not your password ;)

Thanks for the info about the motherboard being wrong. I have fixed it. Not sure what that text in there was as it wasn't my password.

I can boot from the USB disk but I lose the display after a few pages of text scrolling by. Says no signal and then display turns itself off. I have ordered a Display Port to HDMI adapter to see if that will help.

Thanks for the info about the motherboard being wrong. I have fixed it. Not sure what that text in there was as it wasn't my password.

I can boot from the USB disk but I lose the display after a few pages of text scrolling by. Says no signal and then display turns itself off. I have ordered a Display Port to HDMI adapter to see if that will help.
so when you say you can boot from the USB disk, do you mean that you can and have installed MacOS? And am I to assume that when you say pages of text, do you mean you have verbose turned on?

Also is this installer USB thumbstick something you made with Unibeast or Opencore?

LASTLY, you need to start your own thread about this issue. I'm 100% sure this has nothing to do with my problem. As it is now, you're breaking one of the cardinal rules of this forum by (what they call) "hijacking someone else's post". I'd be glad to continue this convo in your own thread. And you'll probably get more input than just me trying to bumble through helping you :)

Just link me to your thread when you've posted.

OK thank you for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back