Contribute
Register

Haswell Early Reboot. Kernal patch not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
MSI Gaming 5
CPU
Intel 4670k
Graphics
MSI GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
TL;DR - Installed yosemite, when choosing to boot it, it loops over and over back to boot selection screen, after apparently patching the kernal to avoid the issue.

Hey all, having some issues trying to get Yosemite up and running. Im fairly computer literate, but this is my first attempt at a hackintosh so bear with me.

I had my friend create a unibeast usb boot device. Upon booting it, i would hit the fabled grey screen boot loop problem. Went onto his Mac and edited the kernel files with RehabMans files (cheers dude youre a legend).

Now using the edited kernel usb, the installation would hit a kernel panic. Resolved this by using;

Code:
-x -v nv_disable=1 grpahicsenabler=no

Following this, installation went smoothly and took about 15 minutes. After installation was complete i attempted to move the edited kernal files from the USB to the SSD Yosemite was installed on using the installation terminal. As far as i could tell, this was ok.

Reboot and I now have the option to boot up Yosemite (huzzah!). However when i do, the loader just goes back to the original problem - instant early reboot.

This led me to believe that the kernal files on the usb stick arent being transfered to the SSD. Ive tried lots of different scripts, but basically this is what im inputting to terminal;

Code:
cp -v '/volumes/usb/system/library/kernels/kernel' '/volumes/yosemite'

All i would change is the location it was outputting to and slightly different syntax.
USB stick is named 'USB' and Yosemite is installed on 'Yosemite' partition.

If i boot into Yosemite with verbose mode, it simply makes its way through it all, gets to the very end and i can see the last thing it writes on screen is;

Code:
Starting Darwin x86_64
Boot Args: kext-dev-mode=1 -v

In this case, i ran with no arguments other than verbose mode. It doesnt pause at the end, but just jumps back to the bios splash screen and back in a loop to my choice of USB or Yosemite.

Normally i would just crack on and try to fix this, but honestly, i have no idea what to try next. Is there any way to check the kernal files have been moved onto the SSD?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers!

TL;DR - Installed yosemite, when choosing to boot it, it loops over and over back to boot selection screen, after apparently patching the kernal to avoid the issue.

Hey all, having some issues trying to get Yosemite up and running. Im fairly computer literate, but this is my first attempt at a hackintosh so bear with me.

I had my friend create a unibeast usb boot device. Upon booting it, i would hit the fabled grey screen boot loop problem. Went onto his Mac and edited the kernel files with RehabMans files (cheers dude youre a legend).

Now using the edited kernel usb, the installation would hit a kernel panic. Resolved this by using;

Code:
-x -v nv_disable=1 grpahicsenabler=no

Following this, installation went smoothly and took about 15 minutes. After installation was complete i attempted to move the edited kernal files from the USB to the SSD Yosemite was installed on using the installation terminal. As far as i could tell, this was ok.

Reboot and I now have the option to boot up Yosemite (huzzah!). However when i do, the loader just goes back to the original problem - instant early reboot.

This led me to believe that the kernal files on the usb stick arent being transfered to the SSD. Ive tried lots of different scripts, but basically this is what im inputting to terminal;

Code:

All i would change is the location it was outputting to and slightly different syntax.
USB stick is named 'USB' and Yosemite is installed on 'Yosemite' partition.

If i boot into Yosemite with verbose mode, it simply makes its way through it all, gets to the very end and i can see the last thing it writes on screen is;

Code:
Starting Darwin x86_64
Boot Args: kext-dev-mode=1 -v

In this case, i ran with no arguments other than verbose mode. It doesnt pause at the end, but just jumps back to the bios splash screen and back in a loop to my choice of USB or Yosemite.

Normally i would just crack on and try to fix this, but honestly, i have no idea what to try next. Is there any way to check the kernal files have been moved onto the SSD?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Cheers!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...ng-kernel-haswell-cpus-xcpm-early-reboot.html

Hey man,

I really appreciate you replying! Honestly, I followed that exact guide word for word and im still having issues.

I copied (didnt type) the script you wrote for modifying the kernel from there and then the first time i tried to move the files from the USB to the SSD in terminal, i again used your exact wording (typed however), to no avail.

I read on your blog there was another issue causing early reboots, could this apply to me?

As the installer wouldnt boot before i modified the USB i believe the kernel modifications were successful. However as yosemite wont boot and gives no errors, am i right in thinking that its probably your kernel files arent being copied to the SSD?

Hey man,

I really appreciate you replying! Honestly, I followed that exact guide word for word and im still having issues.

I copied (didnt type) the script you wrote for modifying the kernel from there and then the first time i tried to move the files from the USB to the SSD in terminal, i again used your exact wording (typed however), to no avail.

I read on your blog there was another issue causing early reboots, could this apply to me?

As the installer wouldnt boot before i modified the USB i believe the kernel modifications were successful. However as yosemite wont boot and gives no errors, am i right in thinking that its probably your kernel files arent being copied to the SSD?

Post #1 demonstrates you didn't follow the guide.

This...
Code:

.... is wrong.

The kernel in Yosemite is at /System/Library/Kernels/kernel, not at the root of the system volume.

Just to clarify... should be:
Code:
cp -v '/volumes/usb/system/library/kernels/kernel' '/volumes/yosemite/System/Library/Kernels/kernel'

4 hours and a lot of coffee later, you were completely correct. I had missed a single character from what i had written down. I apologise for doubting you sir! The apple logo now appears and the loader stops a third of the way. Progress!

I just wanna really say thank you for doing the work on this, i wouldnt of got anywhere without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back