Contribute
Register

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10

Haswell-E + X99 Motherboard Temporary Guide - OS X 10.10.0

Has anyone managed to get 10.10 to boot using an Asus X99 MB?

I have Yosemite running on:

Gigabyte x99 UD4 (UEFI Only mode)
I7-5820K (Overclocked to 4 GHz)
GTX 780 (don't need web drivers)
4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2666 (XMP Profile 1)
Unibeast install, Clover post install (Thanks to jackie099)

Observations - with CPU=1, expect installation to go slow. I think it was about 30 min for me. Other than that, everything went pretty smoothly.

So far a few problems:

1) Restart either hangs or cold boots. Have to power down instead. Not sure if this is a BIOS issue or perhaps Clover setting can resolve. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2) With speedstep enabled, only goes to 3.3 GHz. Anyone have an SSDT for 4 GHz that will at least give me 2 states (low clock and full 4 GHz)?

3) No sound, but I use Bose Soundlink anyway and have a USB audio device for headphones.

4) Generic ethernet and sata controllers in system info. Anyone have modified kexts for either?

5) Have not tried iMessage yet but will once I get all my SMBIOS and UUID stuff all verified.

Last question, anyone have a good guide for Clover Configurator? I've searched a lot of forums and sites and didn't come up much. I am not sure what to do after I edit the settings and save to config.plist. It doesn't appear to automatically overwrite the existing file so the changes are not applied after I reboot. What do I do after saving the new config.plist?

Clover Configurator is working great for me - seems like a permissions issue. The Generic AHCI fix is located in the SATA drivers under Multibeast. It's a cosmetic fix that allows the chipset to be displayed properly. As far as Ethernet goes, I had it working under Mavericks, but it appears the kext has not been updated to support Yosemite (from when I looked a few days ago - not sure if this is still true.) Audio injection works very will using Clover - check out Toleda's X99 guide here: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC

There is a simple injection script where Clover patches the existing AppleHDA.kext at boot. I am unable to test since my Clover install seems to have gone wonky, but it works very well on another Hack of mine. There are a few SSDTs over in the Mavericks X99 thread, not sure if there is one for 4GHz. Keep in mind, there's still no power management and probably won't be for a while.

The CPUS=1 flag was awful for the install on my end as well. Thankfully, VoodooTSCSync takes care of that afterwards. My suggestion to those who are yet to install - take a walk or do your laundry and come back in an hour. It's working, I promise - just taking forever.

Clover Configurator is working great for me - seems like a permissions issue. The Generic AHCI fix is located in the SATA drivers under Multibeast. It's a cosmetic fix that allows the chipset to be displayed properly. As far as Ethernet goes, I had it working under Mavericks, but it appears the kext has not been updated to support Yosemite (from when I looked a few days ago - not sure if this is still true.) Audio injection works very will using Clover - check out Toleda's X99 guide here: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC

There is a simple injection script where Clover patches the existing AppleHDA.kext at boot. I am unable to test since my Clover install seems to have gone wonky, but it works very well on another Hack of mine. There are a few SSDTs over in the Mavericks X99 thread, not sure if there is one for 4GHz. Keep in mind, there's still no power management and probably won't be for a while.

The CPUS=1 flag was awful for the install on my end as well. Thankfully, VoodooTSCSync takes care of that afterwards. My suggestion to those who are yet to install - take a walk or do your laundry and come back in an hour. It's working, I promise - just taking forever.

Thanks for the tips. Noob question - do I need to boot from the USB installer and mount Yosemite EFI in order to run Clover Configurator?or can I mount EFI from the Yosemite drive after booting directly from there?

Thanks for the tips. Noob question - do I need to boot from the USB installer and mount Yosemite EFI in order to run Clover Configurator?or can I mount EFI from the Yosemite drive after booting directly from there?

You don't need to boot with the USB.

Thanks to all the great replies

Let me give some more advice on the craptastic Gigabyte BIOS on the x99-UD4

1) With Beta bios F9c, Yosemite installed without issues, but cold boot whenever I try to restart. After cold boot, I lose all my overclock settings. Very frustrating.
2) F8 bios was the last production bios and did not have cold boot problems, but could not boot into Yosemite after installation from USB. Flat out does not work.
3) I accidentally installed Windows as MBR because I can't select my DVD drive as UEFI unless there's a disk inside. If empty, no option for UEFI boot. No way to set default to UEFI either.
4) I completely forgot to disconnect my Yosemite drive when I installed Windows on UEFI which caused the Windows Boot Manager to install on my Yosemite drive even though I am using separate drives.

I had to reinstall both Windows and Yosemite all over again and this time I tried something different on Yosemite install. I added the voodoosync kext in Unibeast and npci=0x2000 and it worked fine for me and Yosemite installed in about 12 min. I also was able to boot into Yosemite with all cores going.

I finally got the hang of Clover Configurator and it's really easy to use. I verified that all my UUID stuff was stable between boots and went ahead and logged into iCloud. So far everything works except iMessage. I got a error message to contact Apple. Will give this a try when they are open and see if that fixes it. Same for FaceTime with same error code.

More things that work:

A) IOGear BT adapter (from buyer's guide) works fine and links with my Bose Soundlink. Sound is perfect.
B) Logitech USB Camera works - video and mic
C) Ran Unigen Valley and Cinebench. OpenCL and all 6 cores are running.

Used SSDT from here for OC and seemed to work:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-guide-os-x-10-9-4-10-9-5-a-6.html#post870703

I decided to not try any more restarts until a new BIOS from Gigabyte. Ran both Cinebench and Geekbench at stock and OC'd at 4.2 with SSDT and 4.2 definitely scored higher so appears to be working. No way to verify speed until we get a HWMonitor or Intel updates its' gadget app.

One question - is NullCPUPowermanagement kext necessary? I just copied everything from Unibeast into Clover.

Hi lokicat,

I have a new PC with an X99 UD4 Gigabyte Motherboard, a Nvidia 770gtx, an i7 5820k processor. I have read throught the forum and you seem to have a 10.10 yosemite install working on it.

Can you share the experience with it? Is it stable? Does the sound and network card work? Which guide had you followed?

Thats all, if you answer me you´ll make me happy ;)

Hi lokicat,

I have a new PC with an X99 UD4 Gigabyte Motherboard, a Nvidia 770gtx, an i7 5820k processor. I have read throught the forum and you seem to have a 10.10 yosemite install working on it.

Can you share the experience with it? Is it stable? Does the sound and network card work? Which guide had you followed?

Thats all, if you answer me you´ll make me happy ;)

Sure thing! All the credit goes to all the folks on this thread and this awesome website.

I basically did the Unibeast/Clover combo that jackie099 described:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...porary-guide-os-x-10-10-0-a-7.html#post891392

The only differences I did were:

1) Added VoodooTSCSYNC.kext to Unibeast. This makes installation a true 12 minutes and not 30-45 min using cpus=1.
2) Booted Unibeast USB with -v -x npci=0x2000
3) My Clover boot flags are dart=0 npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1
4) My version of GTX 780 doesn't need the web drivers so I didn't add boot flags for that

Per my previous post, you should use BIOS version F9c and default settings for installation. I've tried various things and system is pretty stable with no crashes or panics.

What still doesn't work or is questionable:

a) CPU power management, but don't expect that until Apple adds Haswell-E to Mac Pro line. Not to raise this debate again but I don't see this as much power savings or decrease in CPU life since it only locks the clock speed and not current draw. I can tell by the speed of my cooling fans that the CPU is at a pretty low temp when idle or low load despite not having power management/Speed Step.
b) Sound - there are a few threads on this since it's the same codec thats on many x99 boards, but I won't use since my sound is through Bose Soundlink and use wireless LG bluetooth headset. Also have USB audio adapter if my batteries die.
c) Ethernet works but system info shows generic ethernet. iCloud and Appstore/iTunes works fine and shows my family share. Will confirm iMessage later.
d) Trim for SSD. I expect our excellent community of devs will figure this out soon.
e) Restart - ends up in cold boot (power off with auto power on) which wipes the over clock settings. I only power down now as a work around. Windows doesn't suffer from the same problem which is fortunate with the gazillion windows updates we get. I suspect Gigabyte is at fault here with their BIOS. Would love to hear what the Asus and MSI folks are experiencing.

Sure thing! All the credit goes to all the folks on this thread and this awesome website.

I basically did the Unibeast/Clover combo that jackie099 described:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-...porary-guide-os-x-10-10-0-a-7.html#post891392

The only differences I did were:

1) Added VoodooTSCSYNC.kext to Unibeast. This makes installation a true 12 minutes and not 30-45 min using cpus=1.
2) Booted Unibeast USB with -v -x npci=0x2000
3) My Clover boot flags are dart=0 npci=0x2000 kext-dev-mode=1
4) My version of GTX 780 doesn't need the web drivers so I didn't add boot flags for that

Per my previous post, you should use BIOS version F9c and default settings for installation. I've tried various things and system is pretty stable with no crashes or panics.

What still doesn't work or is questionable:

a) CPU power management, but don't expect that until Apple adds Haswell-E to Mac Pro line. Not to raise this debate again but I don't see this as much power savings or decrease in CPU life since it only locks the clock speed and not current draw. I can tell by the speed of my cooling fans that the CPU is at a pretty low temp when idle or low load despite not having power management/Speed Step.
b) Sound - there are a few threads on this since it's the same codec thats on many x99 boards, but I won't use since my sound is through Bose Soundlink and use wireless LG bluetooth headset. Also have USB audio adapter if my batteries die.
c) Ethernet works but system info shows generic ethernet. iCloud and Appstore/iTunes works fine and shows my family share. Will confirm iMessage later.
d) Trim for SSD. I expect our excellent community of devs will figure this out soon.
e) Restart - ends up in cold boot (power off with auto power on) which wipes the over clock settings. I only power down now as a work around. Windows doesn't suffer from the same problem which is fortunate with the gazillion windows updates we get. I suspect Gigabyte is at fault here with their BIOS. Would love to hear what the Asus and MSI folks are experiencing.

There is a solution for Intel power management, atleast in mavericks.
I used a program called Pacifist, here is a mini guide I made in the Mavericks-thread:

1. Install Pacifist and then right click "Install Intel Power Gadget.pkg", choose open with, then choose Pacifist.

2. Click on "Contents of Install Intel Power Gadget.pkg" in Pacifist, then click install in the upper left. It may ask you for a password and then you are done.

Hope it works in Yosemite too!:) I need my system for school so I have to wait until Asus boards are comfirmed before I'll try Yosemite.

Btw, how is the performance in Yosemite vs Mavericks? Is there any difference in perception or benchmarks?

I have a question regarding graphics acceleration in Osx. I just got a Gtx Titan and I'm getting 185fps opengl(Cinebench R15) in windows, but on hackintosh I don't seem to be able to get above 110.

I have the latest nvidia native and cuda drivers for osx, but it doesn't seem to help.

Is there anyway to enable full graphics acceleration in Osx as it is in Windows?

Thanks,
Alex

I used a program called Pacifist, here is a mini guide I made in the Mavericks-thread:

1. Install Pacifist and then right click "Install Intel Power Gadget.pkg", choose open with, then choose Pacifist.

2. Click on "Contents of Install Intel Power Gadget.pkg" in Pacifist, then click install in the upper left. It may ask you for a password and then you are done.

Hope it works in Yosemite too!:) I need my system for school so I have to wait until Asus boards are comfirmed before I'll try Yosemite.

Btw, how is the performance in Yosemite vs Mavericks? Is there any difference in perception or benchmarks?

I have a question regarding graphics acceleration in Osx. I just got a Gtx Titan and I'm getting 185fps opengl(Cinebench R15) in windows, but on hackintosh I don't seem to be able to get above 110.

I have the latest nvidia native and cuda drivers for osx, but it doesn't seem to help.

Is there anyway to enable full graphics acceleration in Osx as it is in Windows?

Thanks,
Alex

Actually your numbers seem correct for 2 reasons - Windows generally benches higher on graphics and Cinebench is not a good benchmark for graphics. Try Unigen Valley and you should see a closer gap, but Windows will be higher. In my experience, when a driver doesn't fully work in OSX, it's really bad and unusable.

2. Click on "Contents of Install Intel Power Gadget.pkg" in Pacifist, then click install in the upper left.

This works! Here is what I get:

Ambient is about 20 C, and I use a Corsair H80i

With NullCPUPowermanagement.kext - idle sits at 22 watts and goes from 3.6 to 4.2 Ghz and temp at 38 C
Without NullCPUPowermanagement.kext - idle sits at 40 watts and stays flat at 4.2 Ghz and temp goes to 45 C
Windows (Full PM and Speedstep) - idle sits at 5.5 watts and goes down to 1.2 Ghz and temp at 36 C

I'm sticking with NullCPUPowermanagement. Running Cinebench CPU a few times gives me:

67 watts and 60 C (Score is 1170)

Last edited:
Back